10.7a Beta Catalyst released - SC2 Forced AA and Quadfire+Eyefinity Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
sweet, SC2 AA fix was a must have, glad they got on top of that right away. the only question now, does it work?

ace55

Jul 27, 2010
I'll let you know in a bit, SC2 is at 96% installed and the drivers are downloading. And to think if Gamestop hadn't screwed up my preorder I would have had to play SC2 with no AA for what, two days now? :rolleyes:

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
cool beans. i cant get SC2 just yet because it requires an internet connection to play, and our squid proxy needs to be reconfigured before i can even play the damn single player. i hate living at home with parents, they wont even let me hook up a second router in front of our primary so i can sit on my own network when i want to game unhindered :(. step dad is away on business (viewing source code for some IP litigation case) and wont fix it till he gets back next week

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
yea chances are they either had this fix in the making for a while, they ported the fix from another existing fix, or they threw all the resources they had at it till the problem went away.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I don't have an ATI setup to test anymore, but would be curious if anyone has the time to run some sort of benches comparing no AA to 4xAA at a res of 1920x1200 or higher with the drivers, also a test with SSAA would be cool as well.

Would like to hear what the performance hit is. With the system in my sig, turning on 4xAA is a pretty big hit to performance in some situations. Turning on TRAA is an even bigger hit :awe: But it remains playable but dips down enough to notice once in a while.

So curious to hear about some 5870 & 5870 CF results.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Heh I said it would be forthcoming but this is pretty quick. The PR release that AMD made that it would only support AA if 'it didn't incur a massive penalty'. I dare say their fix incurs just as much a performance penalty as Nvidia's so that was just a whole lot of fluff. Good news for AMD owners.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Wow, that was fast. Must have suddenly become important for ATI.

Projected 10 million units sold this year is a bit important.

I am about to install and check it out. I am running all Ultra at 1920x1200 and on occasion I wish I had some AA.

ace55

Jul 27, 2010
HD 5870 1GB and i7 920 running at 3.6. Played a few games with and without 4x Box Adaptive Multisampling AA. Without AA, all settings on max, reduce mouse lag not checked is 100+. Reduce mouse lag drops you to about 60-80. With 4x AA and reduce mouse lag not checked, fps drops to a very playable 50-70. With reduce mouse lag and 4x AA, you drop to a 35-50 fps. Still very playable.

Difference in image quality is small but noticeable if you look for it.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
With 4x AA it's nice, and I can't tell any difference in performance. Either way it's like >100fps or something stupid.

ace55

Jul 27, 2010
Of course, thanks. That explains it! You tried SSAA? Can probably afford 4x.

Last edited:

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
It's nice to see AMD quickly get this out. Game is unbelievably good. I question what the big deal with AA in this one is though. I'm playing 1920x1080 on a 46" HDTV with a 5770 and i'm not noticing any bothersome jaggies, aside from a few minor spots in the in between mission parts. During gameplay i dont get the big deal need for AA in this game. Other than an AMD vs nVidia spin, I don't see the merit for an uproar over AA support in this game. The nVidia focus group pouncing on an oppurtunity to exploit the thing I thought was laughable.

Those of you playing at 1080P or higher, is the AA more of a novelty or something you are going to use while gaming in SC2?

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
HD 5870 1GB and i7 920 running at 3.6. Played a few games with and without 4x Box Adaptive Multisampling AA. Without AA, all settings on max, reduce mouse lag not checked is 100+. Reduce mouse lag drops you to about 60-80. With 4x AA and reduce mouse lag not checked, fps drops to a very playable 50-70. With reduce mouse lag and 4x AA, you drop to a 35-50 fps. Still very playable.

Doesn't sound like there's less of a hit in performance than with nVidia.
Yet that was the excuse that AMD used for not having AA: they didn't want to release a solution that is too expensive in terms of performance.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
With 4x AA it's nice, and I can't tell any difference in performance. Either way it's like >100fps or something stupid.

Very nice. Looks like there is not a big performance hit then. I know with my setup there is a big drop in FPS using 4xAA and supersampling. Game still runs very well though, but I assume something like a 460 would choke with the supersampling.

Guess they managed to deliver on not letting AA hit peformance hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.