10-31-08 South Dakota puts ballot Tues to outlaw all abortions except where mothers health is at risk or rape/incest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: alchemize

You are talking about personal liberties, not a separation of church and state.

Another example might be a woman who doesn't want to have a c-section, and the state compels her to because it is endangering the babies life.

Exactly who do you think is pushing the agenda to ban abortions, and what right do they have to impose their will on any individual woman's right to choose which medical treatments are done to her body?

States seldom have any right to force a woman to undergo a c-section, even to save the life of the child she's carrying, anymore than someone could be forced to donate a kidney or other organ to save the life of someone who happens to be a type match.
:roll: Who cares who is pushing it? What does that have to do with the constitutional clause "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." ?

Roe v. Wade is supported by the implied constitutional right to privacy.

Do you think before you post? Don't have a macro for this one I suppose...

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
roll; Who cares who is pushing it? What does that have to do with the constitutional clause "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." ?

Freaking thank you. I'm glad that someone else gets this.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
roll; Who cares who is pushing it? What does that have to do with the constitutional clause "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." ?

Well I guess after the initial bout of Stupid, Dave and Harvey decided to troll elsewhere.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Well I guess after the initial bout of Stupid, Dave and Harvey decided to troll elsewhere.

Just waiting for Tuesday

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Christians vs. non-Christians... OK... You realize there are pro-choice Christians, right? Or is the ballot written as "A vote for 11 is a vote for Jesus! Also, no abortions. But lots of Jesus!"

There are also pro-life non-christians

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Proper enforcement of seperation of church and state would prevent insanity like this from ever making to ballot.

Calling the abortion debate an issue of the separation of Church and State is misinformed at best and dangerous at worst.

Churches should not be able to lobby the goverment in an offical fashion. If they want to do that they should lose there tax free status.

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
Originally posted by: hellokeith
:thumbsup: for SD

Abortion is murder of an innocent human life and deprives an innocent American person of their Constitutional right to life.

No one should be forced to support another human life. A baby is basically a parasite on the women.

It's like forcing someone to give blood to save another persons life. You can't do that.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Since no one posted the results:
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/20...sults/ballot.measures/

South Dakota initiative to ban all abortion failed.
55 percent against.
45 percent for.

Hmm. I think this proves what I have said all along. The abortion issue, in the form of the idea that all abortion is wrong, is a huge minority in the U.S. A state like South Dakota even overwhelmingly rejected it. If it couldn't win overwhelmingly in South Dakota, it would fail overwhelmingly nation wide.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006

Calling the abortion debate an issue of the separation of Church and State is misinformed at best and dangerous at worst.

Hardly. It's a personal decision to be made by the woman who has to endure the pregnancy and support the child in consultation with her choice of doctors. There should be reasonable limits on late term abortions, but that's it.

If you don't like it, don't get an abortion. Better yet, don't get pregnant. You have no right to impose your values on others.

Yes we do have the right to impose values on others. With Barack elected, we are going to have values imposed on us, I don't think we will have an option to opt-out of tax increases for several projects which we don't value. Its just a fact of life, and I think you are smarter than that.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Christians vs. non-Christians... OK... You realize there are pro-choice Christians, right? Or is the ballot written as "A vote for 11 is a vote for Jesus! Also, no abortions. But lots of Jesus!"

Not to mention pro-life atheists and agnostics. But trolls like Dave don't like to admit that, because that would get in the way of all their strawman arguments.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
If you don't like it, don't get an abortion. Better yet, don't get pregnant. You have no right to impose your values on others.

That's just like what the southern states used to say about slavery. If you don't like slavery, don't own a slave! But don't impose your abolitionist views on us!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Abortion is murder of an innocent human life and deprives an innocent American person of their Constitutional right to life.

This is the mental prison you have made for yourself. Because you have committed to this mental prison you now justify your violence toward women by assuming you have the right to imprison them in your value judgments over ones they make themselves. You are a monster who hides behind your bigotry and Biblical certainty even though the Jews of the Bible didn't count the fetus as a person. You are evil, My Dear Sir, and like all evil you should be exterminated before millions of women die in dirty back rooms. I would like to spare you but what I say is the absolute truth so you need to die so the innocent can live.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Mursilis

That's just like what the southern states used to say about slavery. If you don't like slavery, don't own a slave! But don't impose your abolitionist views on us!

The law decided that slaves are persons and that the fetus is not. Thus it is that slavery is illegal and abortion is not. So if you don't some legal option don't take it. If you want to do something illegal, prepare to pay the price. You can't think rationally on the subject because you believe the fetus should have legal rights that it doesn't and you maintain a blindness to that fact. You have no right to terminate a woman's pregnancy but she does.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: techs

55 percent against.
45 percent for.

Hmm. I think this proves what I have said all along. The abortion issue, in the form of the idea that all abortion is wrong, is a huge minority in the U.S. A state like South Dakota even overwhelmingly rejected it. If it couldn't win overwhelmingly in South Dakota, it would fail overwhelmingly nation wide.

Thanks for the update

To bad discrimination of adults is alive and well though :(

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: techs

55 percent against.
45 percent for.

Actually, I think it's quite disturbing that 45% thought it was a good idea. Let's remember, Democrats (typically pro-choice) came out in force this election. In a normal election when the Repubs are enthusiastic, I think it would have passed overwhelmingly.

I would like to know the true premise of why this bill would be a good idea. This boggles my mind.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

The law says otherwise - it's only after you're born that you become a person and are afforded all the rights spelled by the constitution.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Yeap, that's why the US Census Bureau counts pregnant women as 2 people.

Nail. Head.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Yeap, that's why the US Census Bureau counts pregnant women as 2 people.

Nail. Head.

Anyone who believes otherwise is a sick, selfish, twisted criminal.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado also hammered down #48.. which stated that human life starts the the moment of conception.

It's time the repukes understood the only leader that could change abortion to be illegal is a dictator. Right now the majority of Americans DO NOT WANT BANS ON ABORTION.