10-16-08 'Joe the Plumber' does not have plumbing license

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Engineer

lol, the only ones who are angry losers are you people who have been raging the last 8 years.

The whole US lost for the last 8 years. Maybe you haven't been paying attention.

I haven't lost. Maybe I'm just part of the rational and realistic crowd that has actually worked on improving my own situation instead of relying on the gov't.... ;)

JFC you can be an elitist tool. I've been laid off 2x in the last 4 years and haven't taken a penny of unemployment. Be thankful you never had to worry where your next mortgage payment was coming from.

what is wrong with collecting unemployment?

I've been collecting it for the last 6 weeks. :)

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
How the hell did Joe the plumber become the central theme of the election? Oh no, he's not registered to vote! Oh no, he's not licensed! Who the hell honestly cares about Joe the plumber? He was a person chosen as a convenient example to give human face to a case study of a candidate's tax plan in action. Beyond that exercise, his identity is completely irrelevant.

He dared question Obama's plan that is who he is. Time to make sure he pays for this crime by digging up everything in his past. I heard he once picked a huge booger in Mrs Tinsley's 4th grade English class.

The right complaining about smear? My god, I never though I would see this day.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: dartworth

:laugh: yeah... I know.... that's what it's been sold as(while some of it is true - not all is needed). Can I ask what you do? I am an automation engineer and we work in all sorts of industries and work with all types of contractors and bid specs. It's surprising to see how certain projects for the same end use(end customer) have different regulations/specs based on who the person who wrote the spec is(whether they are a union supporter or not).
Municipal work is some of the worst however...

I am a union pipefttier and a member of the United Association

figures...

I'll save you my rant about my latest run in with pipefitters... But... there are 3 types of people in the "West". Union believers, Union haters, and those who haven't yet dealt with them. Basically it's very difficult for anyone who has been in one or had to work with one to not be one way or the other. I personally would rather have a non-union tradesman on my projects. They tend to listen to instructions better, get the job done faster, and will actually ask to make sure they got everything done and done right.
...just my experience.

/ tangent...

eh, you just want cheap change orders while us guys in the trenches fix the engineers fuck ups ;)

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: bamacre
... and then doesn't play by the rules and regulations, just like his big brothers on Wall Street.

Yup, rules and regulations in place to keep the little guy from competing with the big guys, who can more easily afford to follow the rules and regulations.

Unions ;)

He is not a union plumber...

I know. I was commenting on bamacre's post about competition and the big boys locking out the little guy. It's exactly what Unions do - lock out the little guy by getting places to put lofty regulations in place so only the Union places can qualify. It happens in business as well(if a Union supporter gets to write the spec).

In the construction industry, large commercial and industrial, most of the "regulations" are in place for safety and quality.

:laugh: yeah... I know.... that's what it's been sold as(while some of it is true - not all is needed). Can I ask what you do? I am an automation engineer and we work in all sorts of industries and work with all types of contractors and bid specs. It's surprising to see how certain projects for the same end use(end customer) have different regulations/specs based on who the person who wrote the spec is(whether they are a union supporter or not).
Municipal work is some of the worst however...

Ok . Is correct . It is a scam [/quote] Is also correct . But the inspectors have to enforce. To many are on the take. But it does ans a question I have had Since 9/11.

When did we come up with regulations for safty and quality That would cause a building to go down from a airplane hit. First in history . 2 in one day. Than in that same day these same buildings +1=3 of them collasp into its own foot print from fire also a first.

Must remember I was An Iron worker. I would like to see those regulations and who signed of on inspecting the job site.

As already stated I helped on the Janesville MN school project. Ya want to call me out on it . Meet me at the school and I will prove it.

Construction is like the Garbage business . We know who runs that. And you think your children are safe . I don't It didn't take me long to walk away from the corruption.

Than interstate 90 between Austin and Rochester MN Had to be completely tore up not to many years after it was built because of bad cement.We know who's big into cement don't we. If I keep mouthing off thats were I will end up in the cement. Really compared to big cities the traffic on I 90 were I spoke of is very very light. Crime is hugh in this country but news is a murdered bitch for a whole year. Responsiable reporting . News won't go near the Good felloes or I will have company in the cement. Now I am going to piss some of ya off sorry . But I do have a foundation on which I can stand. When did things really start going bad. I would say right around the time of JFK. Were did the Kennedy family money come from . If ya don't know find out. Most here know. So these guys were connected and the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. Good felloes are running the country if ya can't see it . YOUR BLIND .

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Blackjack200

I love the whole "Joe the Plumber" thing. It illustrates perfectly how McCain operates, how the media responds, and the false indignation and crocodile tears that follow from the wingnuts on the right, including on this board.

Let's review:

#1: "Joe the Plumber" approached Barak Obama after a campaign event and lied. He told Obama that the Candidate's tax plan would raise his taxes. In fact, they would almost certainly lower his taxes, but Obama couldn't have known this, and took him at his word. I don't put a lot of blame at the feet of Joe for this, he was just trying to make a point.

#2: John McCain does absolutely no research, no homework, no checking to see if things are as they seem. Just like with his selection of Sarah Palin he launches headlong into his narrative, and and exploits Joe for his own gain. He spends far more time talking about "Joe the Plumber" than he does about anything else in the debate, even reviving the narrative when the discussion turns to health care. McCain was determined to give this "Joe the Plumber" theme legs.

#3: The media had never really heard of Joe before. Yes, they were there when Joe had his initial encounter with Obama, but these encounters happen all the time, and they hadn't pursued it. Just like with Sarah Palin, they scrambled to get the story. Just like Sarah Palin, they got some facts wrong in their zeal to be first.

#4: Democrats, anxious to defend their candidate's middle class tax cut from accusations that it may not be the best for those making $250,000 a year, point out the inconsistencies and are immediately painted as targeting 'poor old regular joe the plumber six pack'

It's a story of depravity, willful deceit, and pathetic demagoguery. Make no mistake, it was McCain that made an issue of Joe, and forced it down the throats of the Democrats and the media. It was McCain that kept talking about Joe after the debate and on the trail. And it is McCain that is to blame for the media circus that now sits on Joe the Plumber's lawn. All because he's looking for an excuse to cut taxes on the rich, and a quarter million dollar plumber sounds a lot better than a quarter million dollar lawyer or investment banker.

Oh, and one more thing, I did wonder for a little while if "Joe the Plumber" was a plant. But now I'm almost certain he's not, and it shows just how out of touch McCain is. Obviously McCain thought there was nothing strange about a Plumber making five times the national average for plumbers (according to government data, which I would assume he has access to.) McCain has no clue what a typical working salary is. The plumber probably could have said he was making $3 million a year and McCain wouldn't have blinked.

This post is an accurate description of what occurred, well phrased. While this should have ended the thread, of course I noticed that this post was completely ignored so people could keep crying about this topic.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
How the hell did Joe the plumber become the central theme of the election? Oh no, he's not registered to vote! Oh no, he's not licensed! Who the hell honestly cares about Joe the plumber? He was a person chosen as a convenient example to give human face to a case study of a candidate's tax plan in action. Beyond that exercise, his identity is completely irrelevant.

He dared question Obama's plan that is who he is. Time to make sure he pays for this crime by digging up everything in his past. I heard he once picked a huge booger in Mrs Tinsley's 4th grade English class.

I'm not mad at Joe the Plumber. I find it insulting that McCain would try to present his position in such a ridiculous way.

:thumbsup:

What is it with McCain and his inability to Vet people??? :roll:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
LOL at all the pro-Palin pro-unlicensed-plumber conservatives on this board. What is it about sinners that attracts them so much?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

lol, the only ones who are angry losers are you people who have been raging the last 8 years.

The whole US lost for the last 8 years. Maybe you haven't been paying attention.

I haven't lost. Maybe I'm just part of the rational and realistic crowd that has actually worked on improving my own situation instead of relying on the gov't.... ;)

JFC you can be an elitist tool. I've been laid off 2x in the last 4 years and haven't taken a penny of unemployment. Be thankful you never had to worry where your next mortgage payment was coming from.

:roll:

good for you, but what does that have to do with blaming the gov't/bush? You being laid off 2x is Bush's fault(per engineer's 8years comment)?

If wanting people to take responsibility for their own situations is "elitist" then I guess I am guilty...

Oh, and btw, I have worried about my next mortgage payment/rent payment before. It was back when I just LET things happen to me and thought things happened to me. Luckily, I broke free from that BS way of thinking...

Do you really think most people aren't working to improve their situation and instead are relying on the gov't? If so you're FOS again. Nice straw man on the few that do though and glad they improve your ego.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fallout man
Originally posted by: Blackjack200

lol, the only ones who are angry losers are you people who have been raging the last 8 years. How dare anyone question 'The One'..... must be a plant... lets dig dig dig into his background while ignoring BHO's (you know -the actual Presidential candidate) background and history....

Meh.... follow like good little sheep if you must...

McCain's the one who made an issue of him you hack. Why not try to explain why McCain thinks a man that would pay less taxes under Obama is a useful metaphor for McCain's tax plan?

Seriously. CADsortaBOY, take a step back. What are you trying to prove? People here have made up their minds already, and you're not witty enough to provide a stump-speech to turn them around.

Let us know how you really feel. No one but Butterbean buys your conspiracy-theory distraction shit at this point. Just let it out, man. It will be healthy for you.

Why are you still rooting for the elephant?

Hey look, it's another liar... go figure.

Please show me where I am supporting the elephant on the national ticket?

F'n moron apologists.

:roll: Nothing but more lies. When are you people going to stop with the continued lies? I've posted time and time again yet you morons keep trying to claim I've voting for McCain/Republican party. You types obviously have your BHO blinders on a bit too tight...

Lies? Here's a mirror CAD. You claim you don't have a horse in this race yet you wallow through every anti-Obama thread adding fuel to the fire and divert in any thread that's anti-McCain. This is just one of many examples. In short, you're FOS.

Yep, lies. I am not and will not support McCain. Got it yet?

Again, for the moron BHO apologists - just because someone doesn't like BHO and what he stands for does not mean they are instantly for McCain. Sheesh... loosen your blinders already.

Again for the moron CAD - your posts are in plain sight. You hammer Obama and excuse McCain. There are only 2 horses in this race and you're beating one to death.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Well tho its an interesting read. I don't know any plumbers. Thats making less than $50'000 a year if they work a 40 hour week. Thats without After hour calls. Which is really good money for them . My dad worked as a labor at Hormel his whole life. In 1970 he made . $37.000 . After the strike he was making way less than that . Its 1986 . Many know this . What many don't know. Is that the Hormel employees Paid for the New Packing Plant Hormel built in Austin. By Agreement with company After the building was built Hormel backed out of the Agreement. So Hormel stole over a 100,000,000 million from P9 proud employees . Than Cut the wages after . I begged these guys not to go on strike my friends family . I was the union rep for King company in 76 I believe. In negocations a arbertrator was called in. The guys were really getting wild because time was ticking away. The other 2 union reps never said 1 freaken word the pricks. I told the guys we would get everthing they wanted . But the other 2 reps talked plenty to the guys telling them it was going badly . Union people like these should be black balled. Any way I promised the guys I would get them everthing ya want + except one thing. Open ended cost of living . If you know the period . Its been so long that I getting the dates wrong and memory is failing me now . But I said I had it covered up to 10% which just wouldn't happen . Not after 74 no way . Than shit happened . The arbertraitor told me not to say another word. I got up and headed for the door . He said were ya going I said out the door. He said good. I turned looked hard at him . I said it is . YA fool everyone is going out the door. Company guys jumped up said NO. I said . Ok well talk tomorrow without the stooge. They agreeded. Next day we came to an agreement. I took it to the guys the dam fools voted strike over the cost of living. Which I had covered to 10% . I just went crazy . I said I busted my nuts for you guys got ya more $$ than ya wanted . Than I said these 2 pricks never said a word in their but they talk alot out here ass kissing pricks. Anyway they couldn't strike until my shift come in .I stayed all night talking to them . I explained to them some of the guys wanted to strike to get some time off. I have a new baby at home . I can't strike. They gut a 75% pay increase over 3 years . they wanted 60% I got them cost of living covered to 10% they wanted open ended. 5 cents for each % point. Which is what they wanted. After almost 30 yours of talk we all agreed by majority to take the contract . I went in and signed off .

Now my shift was suppose to start. I was heading for the door to leave my Boss says were ya going . Everyone was standing there . I turned around and said I quit . HE yelled why. I looked all the guys in the eyss said I won't work with these guys . Than I pointed at the 2 other reps. Than I said you guys try this in 3 years you will loose your asses . I told them I knew something they didn't and not to try this again. Walked out . Thats when everthing changed for me . Things started to click.

Here what I new . I was the union rep. I also was responsiable for the backlog of orders . I new how many back orders. We had it was millions.

The company asked me not to reveal this info to the floor. I lol and agreeded. The owner says why you lol . I said I am the rep . I know . I new what they were getting at . But I said straight out . I am a union man . I know and you will give the guys more than they want . I gave in on the cost of living after I was sure I had it covered. I did get the guys more than they wanted. I also stopped believing in the unions.

Thats why I begged the Hormal guys I new not to strike I said ya can't win.

For the record 3 years after I left King . The guys went on strike 6 months they were out. They settled for 5 cents. I took them from $6.00 to $12 in three years including cost of living. They wiped most of that out with the stupid strike. Every word here is on record . F__K unions unless the Good fellows are involved . They do get the guys decent money . But the stink doesn't wash off.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Infohawk
LOL at all the pro-Palin pro-unlicensed-plumber conservatives on this board. What is it about sinners that attracts them so much?

Because it's against the laws of G-d to go dancing, pre-marital sex, gambling, drinking, cursing, etc...

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Cursing or swearing hugh hugh differance. I was put in jail for refusing to swear on the Bible to tell the trueth the whole trueth and nothing but the trueth so help me God.

I refused to so swear. Judge asked why I was refusing . I said God forbidds swearing in. Ya see know one knows the whole trueth and nothing but the trueth. You only know things from your perspective. Got 30 days. If i so swore I could be committing false witness. I told the butthead I would tell the trueth to the best of my ability and thats all I would do. Man doesn't scare me the worse that could happen is flesh death . God can do worse than flesh death . That I fear. You do know saying something like shit isn't cursing right. 1). Swearing . just be honest to the best of your abilty. 2). Cursing.= I hope you burn in hell. 3).Slang = shit.

Wear is it in gods laws that dancing is forbidden . or drinking . Did not Christ change water into wine. Please I don't care to here the but it wasn't that kind of wine BS.
I don't drink. I smoke pot for medical reasons.
Did not Christ say when asked about eating pork . Its not what goes into your mouth that is foul but what comes out.

The one I like the best is graven images. Man in todays world . Holy moly . I would have to live in a cave. I guess its alright tho as long as I don't worship them.

Back to the pork deally . Muslims except christ as a prophet. But they won'teatt porky they reject that . Hay guys you can't do that. No one says ya have to eat porky. But its not wrong . According to the Gosphels of Christ. Either you except that prophets words in full or you reject it in full . Fence sitters.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Now it was on CNN this morning that he has no license but is working toward one and does owe back taxes. I think McCain will stop mentioning joe the guy who doesn't pay taxes now.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Now it was on CNN this morning that he has no license but is working toward one and does owe back taxes. I think McCain will stop mentioning joe the guy who doesn't pay taxes now.

This really does not change the story in any way. Obama's answer was not about higher taxes to pay for government, but higher taxes to spread the wealth around.

The fact that joe does not have a license and probably will not need one until he owns a plumbing business. I have little doubt he probably works for a licenses company. And the fact that he owes back taxes is also not relevent to the discussion, a lot of people owe back taxes.

ChunkiMunki

Dec 21, 2001
this goes on forever, Repubs in office, tax cut for the rich, Dems in office, tax the rich, what's the big deal?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
My cousin owns a huge plumbing company, and my brother is a licensed Master plumber.
The vast majority of plumbers do not have licenses. They are very difficult to earn. You are required to apprentice at a company for quite a while before you can take the test. The first level is journeyman's license. If any plumbers get a license, its this.

The next level is a Master, and its quite difficult to earn. A master's license is required to pull permits for jobs, and thus is a requirement to own a business. Joe isn't buying a business anytime soon. Now, how is it most do not have licenses? It depends what work is being done. For service plumbing (fixing faucets) you do not need a permit per job, and you will never met a building inspector to enforce license requirements.

In new construction work, un-lic will work, but if a building inspector shows up, he will ask for licenses, any any w/o licenses will have to leave the jobsite. They'll come back the next day. A smart company will have at least someone licensed there w/ the building permit at least overseeing the work (what my bro does.)

All in all, my cousin and his company does earn more than 250k/yr, but he is the largest company in a major American city w/ 6-10 employees. No healthcare coverage, but he does offer a $200/mo credit to buy. Most are young guys who do not, and its still very expensive to buy personal private coverage w/o the backing/pooling of a large company and/or group. (and if you get ill on these plans you get quickly dropped from coverage and are sol)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Again for the moron CAD - your posts are in plain sight. You hammer Obama and excuse McCain. There are only 2 horses in this race and you're beating one to death.

You can keep lying if you wish but there are more than 2 people in this race despite what you blind followers wish to claim.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: jbourne77
I told my wife last night after the debate "I give Joe two days before the left rips his asshole in two".

You fuckers did it in less that 24 hours. Your moms must be proud.

Take it up with the media. They're the same ones that said Obama wants to teach sex-ed to K-schoolers and Palin's daughter really had her baby. Plumber Joe isn't blameless either. He followed up his 'question' to Obama on Fox News taking more shots at him. Considering the detailed response Obama gave Joe when he asked the question the lack of respect shown in the Fox interview was disgusting.

What cracks me up about this place - which is full of jackass hacks from all corners and all parties - is so self-righteous when it comes to the "dirty politics" of the right. You guys complain about negative ads, hate, swiftboating, etc., but you guys get your hands just as dirty and your heads just as low as anyone else.

The last few days around here have absolutely disgusted me. It's one thing to disagree on the grounds of politics and values, but a lot of people here are just plain animals and outright sons of bitches.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I told my wife last night after the debate "I give Joe two days before the left rips his asshole in two".

Take it up with the media. They're the same ones that said Obama wants to teach sex-ed to K-schoolers and Palin's daughter really had her baby. Plumber Joe isn't blameless either. He followed up his 'question' to Obama on Fox News taking more shots at him. Considering the detailed response Obama gave Joe when he asked the question the lack of respect shown in the Fox interview was disgusting.

What cracks me up about this place - which is full of jackass hacks from all corners and all parties - is so self-righteous when it comes to the "dirty politics" of the right. You guys complain about negative ads, hate, swiftboating, etc., but you guys get your hands just as dirty and your heads just as low as anyone else.

The last few days around here have absolutely disgusted me. It's one thing to disagree on the grounds of politics and values, but a lot of people here are just plain animals and outright sons of bitches.

Yup.

They are called Republicans

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

:roll:

good for you, but what does that have to do with blaming the gov't/bush? You being laid off 2x is Bush's fault(per engineer's 8years comment)?

If wanting people to take responsibility for their own situations is "elitist" then I guess I am guilty...

Oh, and btw, I have worried about my next mortgage payment/rent payment before. It was back when I just LET things happen to me and thought things happened to me. Luckily, I broke free from that BS way of thinking...

Do you really think most people aren't working to improve their situation and instead are relying on the gov't? If so you're FOS again. Nice straw man on the few that do though and glad they improve your ego.

That seems to be the trend as of late. Blame blame blame and then want the gov't to do more. Continual extentions of "unemployment benefits" is one such example. Another example is the people here trying to blame the Federal gov't for their job situation. If you attempt to blame the Feds, then logic dictates that it should also be able to make it better.... but that just isn't the case. The Feds have little to nothing to do with your situation yet here we have people trying to blame them. It's F'n ridiculous. No one who claims to hold "personal responsibility" as an ideal can also blame the Feds for their situation.... IF they actually do hold that ideal in the first place...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

lol @ Robor trying to pass the leftist smearing off on the "media". But when there are "smears" on BHO - it's from the rovian right.... :roll:
F'n blinded BHO apologists...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Skoorb

This really does not change the story in any way. Obama's answer was not about higher taxes to pay for government, but higher taxes to spread the wealth around.

The fact that joe does not have a license and probably will not need one until he owns a plumbing business. I have little doubt he probably works for a licenses company. And the fact that he owes back taxes is also not relevent to the discussion, a lot of people owe back taxes.
It's relevant not because it changes the message itself but because it makes the figurehead of the argument untenable.