10-16-08 'Joe the Plumber' does not have plumbing license

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Vic
First, if the parties were reversed here, the Pubs would be accusing Joe of being a plant.

Second, McCain really really needs to work on his vetting processes. Doesn't he pay people for that kind of thing? I sometimes wonder. It doesn't speak well of what his decision-making process would be like if he were President.

First, your mind reading abilities are noted.
Second, that is one lame swipe at McCain.

First, no mind reading, that's exactly the kind of comments that Pubs were making about the "Obama is a terrorist!" people at McCain/Palin rallies.

Second, no, it's not. This is hardly the first time McCain has made this kind of mistake.

To Fern: I'm not convinced of that. Joe is not very good at being "blue collar" if he can't find a way to write-down his business costs to get him under $250k. I think you know what I'm getting at here.
Then there's the problem that being a plumber is a union trade. If Joe doesn't have a license, well, let's just say that doesn't make him popular with other plumbers.

edit: and uh, Obama isn't practicing law at this time.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
Might not wanna go there - the whole license thingy. Obama, the lawyer, doesn't have a valid license to practice law.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe Obama, the Illinois Senator running a presidential campaign, is probably not actively practicing law right now, despite having a degree. That makes him a little different than Joe the Plumber, who is actively working in the field of plumbing without a license. Do you see the difference?

I still think Joe is a complete non-issue. I don't care about Joe. I do care about the tax plans in regards to small business owners, but Joe's personal life is meaningless in that regard.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett
The reason "Joe the Plumber" is such a big deal is because he represents everything that is wrong with Obama's tax plan, and everything that is right with McCain's.

Which is?...

Serious question.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Joe the douchebag; an unfortunate little shit stain who is enjoying his 15 minutes while he can, before he becomes a nobody again on November 5th. Just like Palin.

The Democrat Party - we love the little guy . . . except when he disagrees with us. Then we destroy him.

/facepalm at both of you

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Burn him! Burn him alive!

Yep, anyone who dares question the messiah should be burned at the stake!!!

He just burns your ass, doesn't he? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't give two shits about Joe the Plumber. He's just typical "business" in the US. Fucks all the small pissants (like me, you, the government on a bailout if he can get it) and then doesn't play by the rules and regulations, just like his big brothers on Wall Street.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Joe the douchebag; an unfortunate little shit stain who is enjoying his 15 minutes while he can, before he becomes a nobody again on November 5th. Just like Palin.

Wow! What insight!

The reason "Joe the Plumber" is such a big deal is because he represents everything that is wrong with Obama's tax plan, and everything that is right with McCain's.

Wait, so an "average Joe" plumber who somehow has enough money/credit to purchase a business with over a quarter of a million dollars in annual profit (which, I assume, after payroll, assets purchases, depreciation, etc, would have a multi-million dollar purchase price) is representative of the "average small business," and the fact that he might have to pay an additional ~3% in taxes on the portion of his profit that exceeds $250K is going to ruin America? :confused:

I'm not a huge Obama tax-plan supporter, but I'd be interested to know how this imaginary example (didn't he say that he really wasn't actually about to purchase this business, but this was a hypothetical question) is an example of "everything that is wrong with Obama's tax plan, and everything that is right with McCain's."

Care to elaborate?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I wonder how this thread would look if Joe the Plumber was Bob the PC Repairman and his county had a law that said computer repairmen had to have a license.

I mean, there's absolutely no one questioning whether he is good or bad at what he does, no one questioning whether his customers are happy with his service or disgusted. Just "lock him up, put him in jail. Screw his business, his employees, his wife, and his kids." "How dare he ask a presidential candidate a question. Who does he think he is?"

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Like the same thing wouldn't be happening if the parties/situation were reversed.

Make this Shaniqua the Welfare Queen questioning McCain about his health care plan and OMG I could only imagine.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
I wonder how this thread would look if Joe the Plumber was Bob the PC Repairman and his county had a law that said computer repairmen had to have a license.

I mean, there's absolutely no one questioning whether he is good or bad at what he does, no one questioning whether his customers are happy with his service or disgusted. Just "lock him up, put him in jail. Screw his business, his employees, his wife, and his kids." "How dare he ask a presidential candidate a question. Who does he think he is?"

especially his wife! :shocked:

Rules schmules. We don't need no stinking "rules". Deregulate the guy so he can screw ...er...work better for us.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Might not wanna go there - the whole license thingy. Obama, the lawyer, doesn't have a valid license to practice law.

Plus, I think hasseling some blue collar guy isn't something Obama would like to see.

No need to turn this into Obama supporters vs Joe the blue collar guy.

Fern

Fern, where do you keep getting these things? Obama has a law license in Illinois that he voluntarily placed himself as 'inactive' after seeking public office. (with this he doesn't have to pay for malpractice insurance, etc)

So on one hand we have Joe the plumber who is actively working illegally, and on the other hand we have someone who took the bar, passed it, had an active license and then made the smart move of making it inactive because he wasn't using it. So, why would it matter if Obama or his supporters 'went there'?

I don't think Obama will waste another minute on this guy, but to somehow indicate that Obama would have something to fear because of his choice to make his law license inactive is absurd.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Engineer
... and then doesn't play by the rules and regulations, just like his big brothers on Wall Street.

Yup, rules and regulations in place to keep the little guy from competing with the big guys, who can more easily afford to follow the rules and regulations.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
... and then doesn't play by the rules and regulations, just like his big brothers on Wall Street.

Yup, rules and regulations in place to keep the little guy from competing with the big guys, who can more easily afford to follow the rules and regulations.

I would tend to bet that it works the other way (screw the general public) more often, although I don't tend to support unions. I do support licenses and paying taxes though (although I don't know much about whehter he really has one or pays his taxes).

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I don't give two shits about Joe the Plumber. He's just typical "business" in the US. Fucks all the small pissants (like me, you, the government on a bailout if he can get it) and then doesn't play by the rules and regulations, just like his big brothers on Wall Street.

He "burns" my ass just like any other redistributionist does, however the reason I use "messiah" is because he has a cult following who will attempt to destroy anyone who dares question him.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Unions ;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

When Bob the PC repairman makes a mistake, people's houses don't get damaged/destroyed.

And I don't think Joe is being lambasted for asking a Presidential candidate a question. I didn't even know who he was until McCain brought him up at last night's debate.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I think Joe is going to regret his 15 minutes of fame.

I doubt his current employer will be happy to have **UNLICENSED** splashed around the national media because that most likely means they are not bonded, carry no liability insurance nor workman's comp.

And as noted, if the local building inspector and/or State Contractor's Board want to come down on them it won't be Happy Times. Fines, injunctive relief and being barred from practicing would be the least of his problems - a licensed general building contractor who used their services could be in deep do-do also ...

And if the insurance company of a homeowner for whom he did work finds out - - - rut-ro.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Hay OP . I got ta tell ya . Plumbing is a no brainer., Its a scam man. Not alot of skill required. I could do it in my sleep.. Ya ever go to the Ice capades. That freezer they haul around was Built by me at the King Company. The easiest part was the plumbing. If you get a chance to see it . Have a look see. The most skill thats required is welding . Most plumber never weld . Even tho they are required to know how.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

He "burns" my ass just like any other redistributionist does, however the reason I use "messiah" is because he has a cult following who will attempt to destroy anyone who dares question him.

Bush used to have one of those too. He was inspired by God. A few people still feel that way about him. Obama is no different than Bush (or Palin if you've watched some of those people pushing her) or any other "Party Politician". He burns your ass because you're a party politician supporter, period, lol! :laugh:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A 3% increase in Tax Bracket only prevents one from purchasing a Business if their current Tax Bracket is >97%.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Bush used to have one of those too. He was inspired by God. A few people still feel that way about him. Obama is no different than Bush (or Palin if you've watched some of those people pushing her) or any other "Party Politician". He burns your ass because you're a party politician, lol! :laugh:

George W. Bush, "the Moses of his people!!"

And St. Sarah Palin, "filled with the holy spirit!"

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

Bush used to have one of those too. He was inspired by God. A few people still feel that way about him. Obama is no different than Bush (or Palin if you've watched some of those people pushing her) or any other "Party Politician". He burns your ass because you're a party politician, lol! :laugh:

George W. Bush, "the Moses of his people!!"

And St. Sarah Palin, "filled with the holy spirit!"

Dubyah was even greater than Moses. He was Reagan!!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Bush used to have one of those too. He was inspired by God. A few people still feel that way about him. Obama is no different than Bush (or Palin if you've watched some of those people pushing her) or any other "Party Politician". He burns your ass because you're a party politician supporter, period, lol! :laugh:

:roll: Nothing but more lies. When are you people going to stop with the continued lies? I've posted time and time again yet you morons keep trying to claim I've voting for McCain/Republican party. You types obviously have your BHO blinders on a bit too tight...

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Oh look, another tool of the right proclaiming Obama the messiah. The spin from you guys is beautiful.