10-16-08 'Joe the Plumber' does not have plumbing license

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Update 10-24-08 Annoucnes he may run against Democrat for Congress in Ohio. A website is launched.

I am not surprised

==============================================
Wow

The guy is not even a real plumber.

He is doing plumbing work illegally in the county ion which he lives as well as the supposed plumber he works for is also not licensed.

Update: State court documents show he is a Tax scofflaw as well.

10-16-2008 'Joe the Plumber' does not have plumbing license

HOLLAND, Ohio - Joe the Plumber said Thursday he doesn't have a license and doesn't need one. Joe Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe the Plumber, the nickname Republican John McCain bestowed on him during Wednesday's presidential debate, said he works for a small plumbing company that does residential work. Because he works for someone else, he doesn't need a license, he said.

But the county Wurzelbacher and his employer live in, Lucas County, requires plumbers to have licenses. Neither Wurzelbacher nor his employer are licensed there, said Cheryl Schimming of Lucas County Building Regulations, which handles plumber licenses in parts of the county outside Toledo.

In Toledo on Sunday, Wurzelbacher told Obama that he was preparing to buy the plumbing company, which earns more than $250,000 a year, and said: "Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?"

Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39 percent tax, instead of the current 36 percent rate.

Wurzelbacher said Obama's tax plan wouldn't affect him right now, because he doesn't make $250,000. "But I hope someday I'll make that," he said.

"If you believed (Obama), I'd be receiving his tax cuts," Wurzelbacher said. "But I don't look at it that way. He'd still be hurting others."

As he leaned against the Dodge Durango SUV parked in his driveway Thursday morning, Wurzelbacher indicated to reporters who crowded around that he was a conservative, a fan of the military and McCain.

================================================

Update: State of Ohio said today he has not paid his State Taxes

10-16-2008 Ohio court documents show Joe the Plumber owes nearly $1,200 in back taxes.

HOLLAND, Ohio - Joe the Plumber's story sprang a few leaks Thursday. Turns out that the man who was held up by John McCain as the typical, hard-working American taxpayer isn't really a licensed plumber.

And court documents show he owes nearly $1,200 in back taxes.

"Joe," whose name is Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, was cited repeatedly in Wednesday night's final presidential debate by McCain for questioning Barack Obama's tax policy.

Wurzelbacher owes the state of Ohio $1,182.98 in personal income tax, according to Lucas County Court of Common Pleas records.

In January 2007, Ohio's Department of Taxation filed a claim on his property until he pays the debt, according to the records. The lien remains active.

Feb 6, 2007
How the hell did Joe the plumber become the central theme of the election? Oh no, he's not registered to vote! Oh no, he's not licensed! Who the hell honestly cares about Joe the plumber? He was a person chosen as a convenient example to give human face to a case study of a candidate's tax plan in action. Beyond that exercise, his identity is completely irrelevant.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Joe the douchebag; an unfortunate little shit stain who is enjoying his 15 minutes while he can, before he becomes a nobody again on November 5th. Just like Palin.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39 percent tax, instead of the current 36 percent rate.
Aren't ALL businesses taxed on profits and not revenue? Some clarification would be nice.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
How the hell did Joe the plumber become the central theme of the election? Oh no, he's not registered to vote! Oh no, he's not licensed! Who the hell honestly cares about Joe the plumber? He was a person chosen as a convenient example to give human face to a case study of a candidate's tax plan in action. Beyond that exercise, his identity is completely irrelevant.
I agree.

Joe the Plumber != Joe Six Pack

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
He also is in trouble for not paying taxes as-is. To complicate matters, $250k in receipts does NOT = $250k in personal income to be taxed. What a joke, watch McCain distance himself quickly from this debacle.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

He dared question Obama's plan that is who he is. Time to make sure he pays for this crime by digging up everything in his past. I heard he once picked a huge booger in Mrs Tinsley's 4th grade English class.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

He dared question Obama's plan that is who he is. Time to make sure he pays for this crime by digging up everything in his past. I heard he once picked a huge booger in Mrs Tinsley's 4th grade English class.

I'm not mad at Joe the Plumber. I find it insulting that McCain would try to present his position in such a ridiculous way.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Aren't ALL businesses taxed on profits and not revenue? Some clarification would be nice.

You are correct. Business (and even self-employment) taxes are based on profits, i.e. revenues minus costs.

For Joe to be claiming $250k in annual profits from a one-man plumbing outfit doing residential work would be extremely impressive, to say the least. Let's just say I've seen countless tax returns in my time, and a one-man plumbing contractor with a taxable income of more than $250k in Toledo, OH is simply something I have trouble believing.

And from what I've read, the lack of licensing is legal in Ohio.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

I'm not mad at Joe the Plumber. I just think that it was a trite method of trying to get a point across. I find it insulting that McCain would try to present his position in such a ridiculous way.

Personally I dont really care about Joe. I just find it utterley amusing watching the machine go into action.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does that mean the nation get our 15 minutes of his fame back? :confused:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: [bhttp://forums.anandtech.com/me...te=y&parentid=29734793]Genx87[/b]

He doesn't have a license, is doing business illegally in his county AND he didn't pay his taxes.
That's not picking a booger. That's jail time, baby.

Joe the jailbird?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

He doesn't pay taxes and operates without a legal license.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: [bhttp://forums.anandtech.com/me...te=y&parentid=29734793]Genx87[/b]

He doesn't have a license, is doing business illegally in his county AND he didn't pay his taxes.
That's not picking a booger. That's jail time, baby.

Joe the jailbird?

to be fair that doesn't really address the core of the problem or question that we are trying to figure out an answer to

which is: does obama or mccains plan work better for people and business combined

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton

He doesn't pay taxes and operates without a legal license.

I didnt see anything in there about him not paying taxes and all it said was he lives in a county in which he doesnt have a license to operate. That is like a lawyer who lives in a state without passing the bar in that state and operates in the adjoining state. You going to claim he operates without a legal license? That county should be able to provide any work permits he and his employer applied for. Now get to work, you have thousands of permits to comb looking for that golden goose nobody cares about.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
That will teach ole Joe to have his five minutes and 37 seconds of defame. And the old Andy Warhol short changed, many fruit loops short of a full bowl and nine minutes and 27 seconds short of total self discretion

At least he is not sure who to vote for, he should quit while he is still behind.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I'm not mad at Joe the Plumber. I just think that it was a trite method of trying to get a point across. I find it insulting that McCain would try to present his position in such a ridiculous way.

Personally I dont really care about Joe. I just find it utterley amusing watching the machine go into action.

First, if the parties were reversed here, the Pubs would be accusing Joe of being a plant.

Second, McCain really really needs to work on his vetting processes. Doesn't he pay people for that kind of thing? I sometimes wonder. It doesn't speak well of what his decision-making process would be like if he were President.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
That will teach ole Joe to have his five minutes and 37 seconds of defame. And the old Andy Warhol short changed, many fruit loops short of a full bowl and nine minutes and 27 seconds short of total self discretion

At least he is not sure who to vote for, he should quit while he is still behind.

He's still negotiating with the Dems and Repubs hoping one of them will give him enough money to pay his back taxes.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic

First, if the parties were reversed here, the Pubs would be accusing Joe of being a plant.

Second, McCain really really needs to work on his vetting processes. Doesn't he pay people for that kind of thing? I sometimes wonder. It doesn't speak well of what his decision-making process would be like if he were President.

First, your mind reading abilities are noted.
Second, that is one lame swipe at McCain.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Might not wanna go there - the whole license thingy. Obama, the lawyer, doesn't have a valid license to practice law.

Plus, I think hasseling some blue collar guy isn't something Obama would like to see.

No need to turn this into Obama supporters vs Joe the blue collar guy.

Fern

midway

Oct 22, 2004
The license thing doesn't matter because Obama hasn't practiced law in what, a decade?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Joe the douchebag; an unfortunate little shit stain who is enjoying his 15 minutes while he can, before he becomes a nobody again on November 5th. Just like Palin.

Wow! What insight!

The reason "Joe the Plumber" is such a big deal is because he represents everything that is wrong with Obama's tax plan, and everything that is right with McCain's.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

The Democrat Party - we love the little guy . . . except when he disagrees with us. Then we destroy him.