1 phone line, need to setup fax machine and phone on 1 line

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
We currently have two phone lines, one for the telephone and one for the fax machine. There is one jack (and only one) which has the fax machine number on it. My dad wants to get rid of the fax machine number and use the one line for both phone and fax. Two questions:

1. Can the phone company switch the jack from the fax line to the phone line? How much does that normally run? Any hardware reconfiguration needed?

2. Is there a hardware device that manages your fax and telephone on one line? I think I've seen these devices somewhere, but I can't seem to find them (or don't know what I'm looking for).

Thanks

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
does he plan on keeping 2 separate numbers one for phone and one for fax?? or does he just want one number.

i'm assuming he wants two numbers. you can get the 1 jack wired for 2 numbers, but i'm not sure why you would want to do that because you still have to split it at the jack and take 1 line ot fax machine and 1 line to phone.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
sorry if the question was confusing.

He wants ONLY ONE phone number now, to handle both the telephone and fax machine. He wants to disconnect the second phone line (the fax line).

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
ur fax machine should have an In and Out jack. sometimes labeled Wall and Phone or something like that.

basically just run a line from jack to fax machine and a line from fax machine to phone. not really difficult and no special hardware needed.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
dunno about your fax machine, but my fax machine has a setting to detect a fax from a regular phone call.. it picks up, and if it hears the fax ring tones stuff, it does it's fax mojo, and if it's regular telephone ringtones, it will ring for someone to pick up..

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well, I have a new Brother multi function fax. I don't know where the manual is, but since it's newer, mabye it'll have one of the tone recognizer things.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
1. Can the phone company switch the jack from the fax line to the phone line? How much does that normally run? Any hardware reconfiguration needed?
The jack can be switched by the phone company. Cost would vary depending on if you have inside wire maint. on your bill or not. The standard rate may be as much as $75+ for them to do anything inside the house. If you subscribe to the inside wire maint. (usually $3-5/mo) they should cover it as part of that service. If not, You might also be able to bribe the phone tech to do it for cheaper than the standard rate if you ask nicely.

OR

You can do it yourself. Unscrew the wall jack (From the wall) that is currently configured the way you want it. Then unscrew the one currently for the fax (which you want to change). Then change the wires coming out of the wall and connected on the fax jack so that they are connected to the Red / Yellow / Black / Green terminals the same as the other jack that you are using as a template.

It's pretty basic but some folks are afraid of that stuff. SO, If the wires aren't stripped already, and/or you are afraid of messing it up at that point, you can just screw both the jacks back on the wall and pay the phone company way too much to do it.