1 out of 2 college graduates are unemployed or underemployed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
What about:

- grade inflation
- loans and grants just because you "deserve" a higher education
- protected "groups" & affirmative action
- diploma mills that leech on federal loans while producing worthless graduates

No wonder companies are having hard time hiring new graduates. The quantity:quality ratio is getting pretty bad.

Not to mention the fact that as crazy as he seemed at the time Ross Perot was right about that giant sucking sound.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
We have no jobs because as a country we suffer from conservative brain disease, a psychopathic need to blame others for our troubles. The enemy is the illegals who take all the jobs at low wages, or welfare sucking all the money out of business, or labor unions because of oh just because,

and a million other excuses for the fact that the wealthy have divided the masses so that folk identify by class instead of economic strata. In this way the brain dead population is set against itself and milked by folk who have no fucking concern at all about the welfare of the country and need more and more and more because they are sociopaths.

He who sleeps on the road loses either his hat or his head.

You do realize that the first part of the paragraph is at odds with the 2nd part right?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Here is a list of the things that come to mind that lead to the high unemployment of college grads.

1. Due to the crash in 2008, more older workers are putting off retiring, because they can not afford it.

2. Worthless degrees, I can not tell you how many psych majors I meet when I go out to eat, that are waiting tables.

3. Lack of commitment. Too many of these new grads expect to make big dollars straight out of college. Hello people, the those days are gone.

Those are just 3 things that come to mind. I was fortunate, I went back to school after 30 years to complete my degree mostly for personal reasons. But has it change what I do or how much I make, hell no.

i think the de-emphasis on trade skills is also hurting us a lot.

just because you dont have a degree doesn't mean you can't do valuable work.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It's not your fault that you can't even read simple English without hearing in your head the garbage you have been feed. Your brains are suffering from conservative brain disease, called fast thinking, a gut appraisal of the world based on the disgust nerves in your stomach instead of the neurons in your head. You are badly in need of deprogramming. Try sitting under a tree and doing some meditation but definitely turn off the TV, stay out of fear inducing competitive situations and relax and try to be happy. This kind of panic brainless thinking can turn a mouse into a lion and cause you to run off a cliff.
Aww, such kind condescension. Your true beliefs slipped out in the post I quoted and because you hate yourself for doing that, you lash out. We all get it.

[URL="http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/22/science-say-gop-voters-better-informed-open-minded/"]Surveys: Republicans more open-minded, better informed than Democrats
[/URL]

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It's not your fault that you can't even read simple English without hearing in your head the garbage you have been feed. Your brains are suffering from conservative brain disease, called fast thinking, a gut appraisal of the world based on the disgust nerves in your stomach instead of the neurons in your head. You are badly in need of deprogramming. Try sitting under a tree and doing some meditation but definitely turn off the TV, stay out of fear inducing competitive situations and relax and try to be happy. This kind of panic brainless thinking can turn a mouse into a lion and cause you to run off a cliff.

So you agree that liberalism is about enslaving productive, hard-working, moral individuals into supporting lazy, unproductive, immoral people. o_O

For some reason taking a dump on justice and fairness does disgust me.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
We have no jobs because as a country we suffer from conservative brain disease, a psychopathic need to blame others for our troubles. The enemy is the illegals who take all the jobs at low wages, or welfare sucking all the money out of business, or labor unions because of oh just because,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
and a million other excuses for the fact that the wealthy have divided the masses so that folk identify by class instead of economic strata. In this way the brain dead population is set against itself and milked by folk who have no fucking concern at all about the welfare of the country and need more and more and more because they are sociopaths.

He who sleeps on the road loses either his hat or his head.

You do realize that the first part of the paragraph is at odds with the 2nd part right?

No I don't realize that because they don't that I can see. Perhaps you will be good enough to point out how.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
No I don't realize that because they don't that I can see. Perhaps you will be good enough to point out how.

In the first part you saying blaming your problems on someone else is a sign of mental illness.

And in the second you blame all of the problems on the wealthy.

So, on 2nd thought maybe it is not so much a contradiction as an admission that YOU suffer from a mental illness.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Aww, such kind condescension. Your true beliefs slipped out in the post I quoted and because you hate yourself for doing that, you lash out. We all get it.

[URL="http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/22/science-say-gop-voters-better-informed-open-minded/"]Surveys: Republicans more open-minded, better informed than Democrats
[/URL]

Feeling persecuted is part of conservative brain disease. The first job of a conservative is to pin his self hate on somebody else to flatter his ego, as if he were important enough to be hated. Nobody can or would even bother to hate yourself like you do. Folk are busy elsewhere hating themselves. Wake the fuck up.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
There are many reasons for this from my experience.

1. Lots of college grads are children of second or third generation parents (or higher if you are Caucasian) who are already successful. This means when they graduate, their parents aren't reliant on them making it financially. They can take their time and wait for the perfect job. That's why you see so many grads living at home.

2. Students are concentrating so much on grades and GPA and none of them take any sort of internships or jobs during breaks/summers. They graduate with 4.0 GPA's but no job experience and learn that your grades only get you so far.

3. Students are addicted to school. How many people do you know graduate and are afraid to enter the real world (job market)? They then go for their masters then Phd's etc, often times majoring in fields that are difficult to find jobs for (ie liberal arts).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In the first part you saying blaming your problems on someone else is a sign of mental illness.

And in the second you blame all of the problems on the wealthy.

So, on 2nd thought maybe it is not so much a contradiction as an admission that YOU suffer from a mental illness.

Thank you very much for this explanation. I see what you mean and the problem. I am a liberal and don't think in terms of blame but in terms of causality. The urge to blame is part of the conservative brain dysfunction. It's a moralistic thingi, one of the several moral distinctions conservative do that liberals aren't infected with. The wealthy are not to blame for the fact they are greedy or don't care about the nation. They are just sleeping robots responding to program. They were deprived as children of any real feeling of self worth and have created a total substitute in the form of the notion that wealth and worthiness go together. They are just rats in a cage.

Nobody has choice who is asleep and nobody is to blame. This is why the central tenant of the Christian religion is never believed. Folk who blame do so because they feel guilty even though they have been forgiven. It makes not the slightest difference what people think they believe, they really believe what they feel. Conservative were controlled as children by guilt blame and fear and that is what they radiate and infect others with. The only way our is via forgiveness, to those who causes your pain, and to yourself for the pain you have caused. You have to die to be reborn.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Too many students assume that if they go to college and graduate, that entitles them to a good job. Too many teachers/guidance counselors, etc., affirm this belief. It results in a huge surplus in many areas ("ohhh, a bachelor's degree in abnormal psychology? That'll be perfect for this job. Take the fries out when the bell goes ding. Got it? Ding, fries are done.") My son #2 was majoring in architecture. After his first year, he saw that the graduates weren't getting hired. He switched to CAD since it was similar. When he graduated with a 2 year degree, he was given job offers left and right - there were 2 to 3 companies looking for candidates for every one graduate at his school. Graduation isn't for another month, but 100% of the graduates from his major have a job lined up. Meanwhile, those graduating with the architecture degrees still struggle to find employment.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
College is the new High School. :D

""I don't even know what I'm looking for," says Michael Bledsoe, who described months of fruitless job searches as he served customers at a Seattle coffeehouse. The 23-year-old graduated in 2010 with a creative writing degree."

Creative Writing Degree, FAIL.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Too many students assume that if they go to college and graduate, that entitles them to a good job. Too many teachers/guidance counselors, etc., affirm this belief. It results in a huge surplus in many areas ("ohhh, a bachelor's degree in abnormal psychology? That'll be perfect for this job. Take the fries out when the bell goes ding. Got it? Ding, fries are done.") My son #2 was majoring in architecture. After his first year, he saw that the graduates weren't getting hired. He switched to CAD since it was similar. When he graduated with a 2 year degree, he was given job offers left and right - there were 2 to 3 companies looking for candidates for every one graduate at his school. Graduation isn't for another month, but 100% of the graduates from his major have a job lined up. Meanwhile, those graduating with the architecture degrees still struggle to find employment.

I would think an architecture major could easily learn a lot of CAD. Kind of like how geography majors can learn a lot of GIS and get jobs with it.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Edit: Practical people who hated high-school go for professions in the trade skills sector

That is the route I took for several years.

When I decided to go to college, I wanted to go into law, my first choice was becoming a legal assistant. After I got into the legal assistant program and found what the pay scale was, I did not know whether to laugh or cry.

I was supposed to get a 4 year degree to make less then I was making in a welding shop? Lets see, 4 years of college, closer to 6 - 8 years since I was going at night, and tons of debt, just to make less money then I was already making? No thank you.

I changed my major and went into computers.

One thing about the trade sector, once you get a decade of experience behind you, you can find work just about anywhere.

A couple of weeks ago while gassing up the SUV, my wife spotted a lady my wife knows. After talking for a few minutes the lady said she worked for a local welding shop. She then went on to tell my wife and I how much trouble the company was having finding people with experience. When I told the lady I had 15 years experience, she offered me a job right there on the spot.

Having real life marketable skills that you can put a physical value on makes your chances of finding employment a little easier.

Too many students assume that if they go to college and graduate, that entitles them to a good job. Too many teachers/guidance counselors, etc., affirm this belief.

Coming from the trade sector to a computer sector, I see a lot of people who "think" the skills (or knowledge) they learn in college is valuable.

Working in the welding field, I built stuff that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The refineries that bought the parts made stuff with the parts I built. You can take that pressure vessel or heat exchanger and put a physical value on it.

Someone with a junk degree, what are they going to produce that someone will buy? And what is the "real" value of what the person produces?

To make money you either need to produce a product, or provide a service.

Who are you going to produce the product for?
Who are you going to sell the product to?
Who are you going to provide the service to?
What is the "real" value of the product or service you produce or provide?

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I can't blame the students except that they believe everything that they hear. They are being fed an ever increasing line of bullshit that they need a degree to succeed. Why? Because academia knows without serving out this bullshit they will be on the same street looking for a new job. This is happening more than ever as grant money dries up because of the economy and professors/universities can no longer rely on pet projects to keep them employed. Its all a big fat lie.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
College is the new High School. :D

""I don't even know what I'm looking for," says Michael Bledsoe, who described months of fruitless job searches as he served customers at a Seattle coffeehouse. The 23-year-old graduated in 2010 with a creative writing degree."

Creative Writing Degree, FAIL.

Now this isn't nearly as bad as it seems. If the kid was entrepreneurial he could write and self-publish something. Presumably he's a good writer and has an interest in writing. He could start a twitter-based narrative a la @DadBoner (who has offers for book deals btw). There's the @ShitMyDadSays guy who turned his twitter feed into a tv show (which was subsequently cancelled right?).

Web comics, ebooks, an innovative interactive web based story... who knows.

Writing and english skills are always valuable, they just require some thinking about how to market them to a specific employer.

I did my undergrad in astrophysics. No one is gonna pay me to do astrophysics work, but the math and problem solving skills I learned are so valuable in my work.

IMO you go to school for three reasons:

1. job-specific training
2. literacy and communication
3. numeracy and problem solving

If you can spike in all three, you are golden. There are of course ancillary reasons such as networking, but these three probably cover the knowledge and skills section.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Now this isn't nearly as bad as it seems. If the kid was entrepreneurial he could write and self-publish something. Presumably he's a good writer and has an interest in writing. He could start a twitter-based narrative a la @DadBoner (who has offers for book deals btw). There's the @ShitMyDadSays guy who turned his twitter feed into a tv show (which was subsequently cancelled right?).

Web comics, ebooks, an innovative interactive web based story... who knows.

Writing and english skills are always valuable, they just require some thinking about how to market them to a specific employer.

I did my undergrad in astrophysics. No one is gonna pay me to do astrophysics work, but the math and problem solving skills I learned are so valuable in my work.

IMO you go to school for three reasons:

1. job-specific training
2. literacy and communication
3. numeracy and problem solving

If you can spike in all three, you are golden. There are of course ancillary reasons such as networking, but these three probably cover the knowledge and skills section.

What you should go to school for is to learn how to learn.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
There are so many reasons for this that I am not going to put all the blame on Obama and his terrible policies and lack of concern for the economy. I will put the blame on liberals though since they control the education system. I am sorry but there are so many useless degrees being offered at universities that have no business existing...except useless liberals make their money off the students.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
this is what you guys voted for. It's the obama economy. His finger prints are all over it. It will be worse yet when his medical scam kicks in. The trajectory and velocity of obama failure will take on a life of it's own and become a death spiral for jobs. He'll keep juggling the numbers to tell you it's your fault and everything is getting better.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
WTF? It's Obama and the liberals fault? You think creative writing and anthropology didn't exist as majors prior to 2008?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
We have no jobs because as a country we suffer from conservative brain disease, a psychopathic need to blame others for our troubles.

Your whole existence is based on blaming others, Blame Bush/Wallstreet for the economy, blame the rich, blame conservatives, blame the tax code. You really are something.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Your whole existence is based on blaming others, Blame Bush/Wallstreet for the economy, blame the rich, blame conservatives, blame the tax code. You really are something.

In all honestly there is plenty of blame to go around for both liberals and conservatives.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The fault lies in everyone thinking 'everyone' is entitled to a college education. You can get by with just a 3.0 even taking basic classes (nothing advanced is required) and get a free ride to a community school. Do well there and you automatically get into the State University.

Add that to colleges dumbing things down to appeal to being 'fair'.