1 out of 2 college graduates are unemployed or underemployed

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-2-graduates-jobless-underemployed-140300522.html

Where are the jobs? So much for unemployment rate is going down.

Blaming on Bush in 3..2...1.. :D

On the serious side, college students need to pay more attention on what major will be hire. The days of just have a college degree = easy street are long over.

College graduates who majored in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, art history and humanities were among the least likely to find jobs appropriate to their education level; those with nursing, teaching, accounting or computer science degrees were among the most likely.

From the article, southern states have more highly skilled jobs.

Last edited:

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
What about:

- grade inflation
- loans and grants just because you "deserve" a higher education
- protected "groups" & affirmative action
- diploma mills that leech on federal loans while producing worthless graduates

No wonder companies are having hard time hiring new graduates. The quantity:quality ratio is getting pretty bad.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Went in for Computer Science and came out taking a position of underemployment. I knew that going into it however because I had only 1 year of working experience (in this field) prior to this position. Experience counts a ton in this industry and fortunately I'm with a company that has positions available that will let me grow in the industry. Hopefully after this year long trial period I'll be able to advance into a position more applicable to my education level and in the mean time I have extra time to complete certs and take heavier course work for my Masters Degree than if I was in a higher position.

I'm not bitter about it at all. In this market employers can be more choosy and why would they want to hire someone just based on having a degree if they can have it all (someone with a degree + experience).

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Smart people investigate their majors and determine if they will be able to find a job with their degree after graduating and then they choose accordingly.

Wise people do the same but they also seek out internships to ensure they have built up work experience in their field of study prior to graduating along with choosing a major that has good employment options after graduation.

Stupid people don't do any of the above.

Edit: Practical people who hated high-school go for professions in the trade skills sector or for jobs that require 2 year AA but are in high demand because even they know that even CEO's of mega fortune 500 companies wont be screwing around with fixing a toilet or re-wiring their own house and these guys will also need nurses (nursing jobs are insanely in demand and starting is pay pretty good), EMT's, medical technicians, etc.

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
there is another problem. most people have never really worked, and are not willing to do real work. my job as an example, I know plenty of 4 year degree people with would rather be unemployed than work 14 days on and 7 off, and 12 to 18 hour days of physical work. they would rather suck off the .gov than work and make 100k/year

also, people are unwilling to go where the jobs are. nearly any warm body can go to North Dakota and make 75 to 100k a year. the conditions may suck, but the money is good and you will be able to support your family without sucking off the government.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
so what was the outcome of the ROI on your major?? What's the ROI on your chosen degree?? Did any body tell you what ROI is??

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
there is another problem. most people have never really worked, and are not willing to do real work. my job as an example, I know plenty of 4 year degree people with would rather be unemployed than work 14 days on and 7 off, and 12 to 18 hour days of physical work. they would rather suck off the .gov than work and make 100k/year

also, people are unwilling to go where the jobs are. nearly any warm body can go to North Dakota and make 75 to 100k a year. the conditions may suck, but the money is good and you will be able to support your family without sucking off the government.

Since when does a roughneck make 75k?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
One day the dingwads of the world will realize that the government is going to have to support folk who can't find jobs or find a way to provide a job for anybody who is willing to work. You can't have a society in which that which is required to live isn't available.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
One day the dingwads of the world will realize that the government is going to have to support folk who can't find jobs or find a way to provide a job for anybody who is willing to work. You can't have a society in which that which is required to live isn't available.

well that depends on how you define "requred to live". Some people can get by with not much, some other gotta have their internet access, tv, ipod and other stuff.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-2-graduates-jobless-underemployed-140300522.html

On the serious side, college students need to pay more attention on what major will be hire. The days of just have a college degree = easy street are long over.

Fluff degree's about things nobody cares about and jobs are scarce. This hasnt changed in 30+ years.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
So in your utopian non-dingwad world, if an individual is unwilling to work, they don't have to. Let those who are willing support those who choose not too. Great plan.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
What about:

- grade inflation
- loans and grants just because you "deserve" a higher education
- protected "groups" & affirmative action
- diploma mills that leech on federal loans while producing worthless graduates

No wonder companies are having hard time hiring new graduates. The quantity:quality ratio is getting pretty bad.

think about the number of "useful" degrees too...there are 1billion poli-sci majors to every 1 real science major.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

But you can have one where you are allowed (encouraged?) to screw others over by forcing them to provide for you?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

On the plus side, perhaps some of these kids will start their own businesses.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

What do you do?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I graduated from high school in '06, and went on to college the next year. I didn't know the economy/job market would go to shit like it did, no one did. Luckily, I picked a degree that is still very useful today. And I did the smart thing and went to a community college for 2 years to save on overall costs. I found a job right out of college, whether it was luck or hard work, who knows. But plenty of kids who went to college with a degree in mind, are now finding out that it is close to worthless. A lot of things can change in 5 years, and you can't put all the blame on the college graduate who just got unlucky. I know some people who are going for their Master's in school psychology, and I KNOW they are going to have a hard time finding a job using that degree right out of college. I'm sure 5 years ago that degree was more in demand.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Since when does a roughneck make 75k?

It's common for roughnecks to make very good money. Lots of guys in the trades pull down well over a 100K because of overtime. I know a young fellow that landed a job building storage tanks that pays $56 an hour. He has no experience in the field.

Very few people want to do manual labor anymore, everyone wants to get the big bucks for sitting in a comfortable chair in an air conditioned office. Most people that even think about actual work assume it's done my Mexicans for low wages. A clever fellow that doesn't mind busting his ass can make very good money doing "menial" tasks.

jstern01

Mar 25, 2010
Here is a list of the things that come to mind that lead to the high unemployment of college grads.

1. Due to the crash in 2008, more older workers are putting off retiring, because they can not afford it.

2. Worthless degrees, I can not tell you how many psych majors I meet when I go out to eat, that are waiting tables.

3. Lack of commitment. Too many of these new grads expect to make big dollars straight out of college. Hello people, the those days are gone.

Those are just 3 things that come to mind. I was fortunate, I went back to school after 30 years to complete my degree mostly for personal reasons. But has it change what I do or how much I make, hell no.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So in your utopian non-dingwad world, if an individual is unwilling to work, they don't have to. Let those who are willing support those who choose not too. Great plan.

But you can have one where you are allowed (encouraged?) to screw others over by forcing them to provide for you?

It's not your fault that you can't even read simple English without hearing in your head the garbage you have been feed. Your brains are suffering from conservative brain disease, called fast thinking, a gut appraisal of the world based on the disgust nerves in your stomach instead of the neurons in your head. You are badly in need of deprogramming. Try sitting under a tree and doing some meditation but definitely turn off the TV, stay out of fear inducing competitive situations and relax and try to be happy. This kind of panic brainless thinking can turn a mouse into a lion and cause you to run off a cliff.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Here is a list of the things that come to mind that lead to the high unemployment of college grads.

1. Due to the crash in 2008, more older workers are putting off retiring, because they can not afford it.

2. Worthless degrees, I can not tell you how many psych majors I meet when I go out to eat, that are waiting tables.

3. Lack of commitment. Too many of these new grads expect to make big dollars straight out of college. Hello people, the those days are gone.

Those are just 3 things that come to mind. I was fortunate, I went back to school after 30 years to complete my degree mostly for personal reasons. But has it change what I do or how much I make, hell no.

We have no jobs because as a country we suffer from conservative brain disease, a psychopathic need to blame others for our troubles. The enemy is the illegals who take all the jobs at low wages, or welfare sucking all the money out of business, or labor unions because of oh just because, and a million other excuses for the fact that the wealthy have divided the masses so that folk identify by class instead of economic strata. In this way the brain dead population is set against itself and milked by folk who have no fucking concern at all about the welfare of the country and need more and more and more because they are sociopaths.

He who sleeps on the road loses either his hat or his head.

Last edited: