1 out of 2 college graduates are unemployed or underemployed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Too many toilet paper degrees, e.g. Anthropology or anything at all in liberal arts.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
But anymore you have to have that silly piece of paper to even get in the door...I'm "over-employed" right now with no degree in a job that requires a bachelor (been with the company 12 years and worked my way up) but I'm now screwed since they decided on a no exception policy last year and I can never get a promotion again until I have a piece of paper..in anything mind you, they could care less what it says (I'm in IT and one of our admin managers has an accounting degree)...needless to say I'm finally going to get some worthless piece of paper from an online degree mill just so I can keep moving...

I was there as well. I just switched jobs. There wasn't a new policy but I knew I wasn't getting my due as I don't have a degree and they were promoting others along side me that couldn't perform near my level. I had enough so I let them know my frustrations... they continued ... so I left. I think they got the message now. :) Don't get me wrong, I liked my old company but they got suckered into that degree bullshit like everyone else and didn't seem to listen to those of us who could actually do.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
There are so many reasons for this that I am not going to put all the blame on Obama and his terrible policies and lack of concern for the economy. I will put the blame on liberals though since they control the education system. I am sorry but there are so many useless degrees being offered at universities that have no business existing...except useless liberals make their money off the students.

"Liberals" don't even exist in the US. The country is middle right to off the cliff right. Keep blaming phantom "liberals."

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I was there as well. I just switched jobs. There wasn't a new policy but I knew I wasn't getting my due as I don't have a degree and they were promoting others along side me that couldn't perform near my level. I had enough so I let them know my frustrations... they continued ... so I left. I think they got the message now. :) Don't get me wrong, I liked my old company but they got suckered into that degree bullshit like everyone else and didn't seem to listen to those of us who could actually do.

In reality, any kind of job like that probably would never miss any one individual. That is where many make the mistake of thinking otherwise.

Even CEO's can be replaced without the company missing a beat (usually).

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But anymore you have to have that silly piece of paper to even get in the door...I'm "over-employed" right now with no degree in a job that requires a bachelor (been with the company 12 years and worked my way up) but I'm now screwed since they decided on a no exception policy last year and I can never get a promotion again until I have a piece of paper..in anything mind you, they could care less what it says (I'm in IT and one of our admin managers has an accounting degree)...needless to say I'm finally going to get some worthless piece of paper from an online degree mill just so I can keep moving...

I'm guessing you work at a very large corporation. They tend to have those kind of ridiculously rigid job descriptions. Go work for a small or mid size company. You may not make quite as much, but the job satisfaction is much higher.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
In reality, any kind of job like that probably would never miss any one individual. That is where many make the mistake of thinking otherwise.

Even CEO's can be replaced without the company missing a beat (usually).

In a small company? Uh.. ok. I'm not irreplaceable for sure but it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible for them to replace me without paying someone more than I, hiring multiple to fill the void, or just live with the lost revenue. It's as simple as that. I know financial impact as I know all the numbers for my projects that I brought in to the company. Oh well, I'm quite happy with my new job so far.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
In a small company? Uh.. ok. I'm not irreplaceable for sure but it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible for them to replace me without paying someone more than I, hiring multiple to fill the void, or just live with the lost revenue. It's as simple as that. I know financial impact as I know all the numbers for my projects that I brought in to the company. Oh well, I'm quite happy with my new job so far.

In any company.

Costs are part of doing business.

Almost everyone believes to replace themselves the company will have to pay much more...in reality, especially this job market you can usually replace them at a savings and with a reduced benefits plan from older employees grand-fathered in to better plans.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
In any company.

Costs are part of doing business.

Almost everyone believes to replace themselves the company will have to pay much more...in reality, especially this job market you can usually replace them at a savings and with a reduced benefits plan from older employees grand-fathered in to better plans.

lol, that may be true in some or most cases. But in small companies the effects are stronger when someone of great value leaves. I was there long enough to see how it impacted them and it's one of the reasons I hung on so long because I knew it would mess thing up for a while. Surely they will fill the void but as noted before, they have 3 options because they will not find someone who did what I did for the money I was being paid. They will be fine long term as I believe it is a strong company who does good work, but the small office(team) I was in is going to suffer- especially if I was just the first domino...