1 Marine versus dozens of NYPD officers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
I came here expecting a marine to beat up 30 cops.

I am seriously dissapoint.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i was expecting a Rambo flick. But immediately i could tell it wasnt when this guy started yelling...and yelling...and yelling.
Rambo wouldn't even exhale after they were dead, much less before.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How big do you think it was by your account?

It was really hard to tell, the cops had it sectioned off into a whole bunch of smaller protests instead of one big one, and sadly I'm not that tall. I have read that estimates were between 10,000-20,000, but I have no idea if those were accurate.

What I can say is that it was certainly several thousand people, but beyond that I don't know.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Well, I guess it should be used without any reason any time the police think 'hey, someone seems upset and just in case there's a chance they'll do anything, let's spray.'

Protesting peacefully as citizens are guaranteed the right to do is more than enough reason to justify using pepper spray on them. They're obviously agitated if they are protesting.

I see a military-looking icon you use. You're JUST the sort of person we need 'defending' the people, someone who can and will justify ANY use of ANY violence against any citizen for nothing.

First, you say it's justified for their trying to escape the barricade. Then when you are informed they didn't, you don't miss a beat continuing to support it making up a new reason.

It's pretty clear your position, you support the use of violence against them, unconditionally. Justifications are just something to make up as you go along.

You could probably watch a police officer say to the girls, 'I'm sick of you protesters', get his gun and shoot them and you'd say it was the protesters' fault for causing the stress.

It's an authoritarian mentality you show, the sort we do not need in our citizens.

Pepper spray was OK in that situation. Pepper spray does not equal violence. I would not have been ok with any type of beating in that situation. In my OPINION the pepper spray was an OK way to squash a situation that could have gotten a lot uglier really quick, that may have then required tazers, or more.

And your opinions on me are quite retarded. Because I justify the use of pepper spray you immediately say I am OK with shooting them. Yes that is a military insignia, I was in the Air Force. I actually did something productive for the country, what have you done? All you can do is post on a message board.

For the record I agree with the cause. However, I do believe that for every person that goes there with intention of having their voice heard, there are ten people who go there just to cause trouble. Those are the ones who ruin it for everyone else.

Next time you should really think before you type out your blanket statements about someone. Now go back to your protest... Oh wait, you won't even do that. You'll just type away on the message board. It's easy to defend the protest from your keyboard. How bout you go join in on the fun?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Pepper spray was OK in that situation. Pepper spray does not equal violence. I would not have been ok with any type of beating in that situation. In my OPINION the pepper spray was an OK way to squash a situation that could have gotten a lot uglier really quick, that may have then required tazers, or more.

And your opinions on me are quite retarded. Because I justify the use of pepper spray you immediately say I am OK with shooting them. Yes that is a military insignia, I was in the Air Force. I actually did something productive for the country, what have you done? All you can do is post on a message board.

For the record I agree with the cause. However, I do believe that for every person that goes there with intention of having their voice heard, there are ten people who go there just to cause trouble. Those are the ones who ruin it for everyone else.

Next time you should really think before you type out your blanket statements about someone. Now go back to your protest... Oh wait, you won't even do that. You'll just type away on the message board. It's easy to defend the protest from your keyboard. How bout you go join in on the fun?

I have to disagree that pepper spray doesn't equal violence. Have you ever been pepper sprayed? When I qualified on it in the Navy we had to be sprayed ourselves first, and it was a pretty horrible experience. If I had to choose a punch in the face or being pepper sprayed, I'd take a punch, no questions asked.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
I have to disagree that pepper spray doesn't equal violence. Have you ever been pepper sprayed? When I qualified on it in the Navy we had to be sprayed ourselves first, and it was a pretty horrible experience. If I had to choose a punch in the face or being pepper sprayed, I'd take a punch, no questions asked.

Yes, I have been sprayed, both with the spray and foam. I have also been exposed to CS gas. And no it is not a form of violence.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, I have been sprayed, both with the spray and foam. I have also been exposed to CS gas. And no it is not a form of violence.

Everyone who has been in the military has been CSed, pretty sure it's part of boot camp in every service.

All of those are forms of violence in my opinion. Just because you aren't hitting someone directly doesn't mean you aren't causing significant trauma to their body. In fact, in certain airway constricting scenarios pepper spray can be lethal. (the Army specifically noted the possibility of fatalities when it was studying its use)

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but military training specifically requires people to be sprayed before they use it to counteract the idea that pepper spray is no big deal.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Pepper spray was OK in that situation. Pepper spray does not equal violence.

Are you talking about Tony Balogna? NYPD found that he violated guidelines on pepper spray use and is being disciplined

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...iplined-over-occupy-wall-street-pepper-spray/

Edit:

Doesn't pepper spray have similar scoville units to the ghost chilli? I've seen those videos of people eating that chilli looking like they're going to die, it has to be 10000 times worse to have that shit in your eyes than in your mouth.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Everyone who has been in the military has been CSed, pretty sure it's part of boot camp in every service.

All of those are forms of violence in my opinion. Just because you aren't hitting someone directly doesn't mean you aren't causing significant trauma to their body. In fact, in certain airway constricting scenarios pepper spray can be lethal. (the Army specifically noted the possibility of fatalities when it was studying its use)

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but military training specifically requires people to be sprayed before they use it to counteract the idea that pepper spray is no big deal.

That's the unfortunate thing about law enforcement. It is all based on perception, there are too many gray areas. One person interprets something different than another person and so on. It's the same reason I hated law enforcement. I went from nuke security where everything is black and white to law enforcement where everything is up to interpretation. I went back to security very quickly. All the people that criticize the actions are the ones who will never have to worry about making those decisions. Cops can't win in these situations unless they either

a) stand there and back up and never touch anyone and basically become law watchers instead of law enforcement
or
b) have someone film them getting shot at multiple times, and maybe, just maybe it might be ok for them to act in self defense.

Everyone has the right to protest, it's just unfortunate that the cops are always the ones caught in the middle. Same goes for our military, it's the people on the ground that are caught in the middle, just doing their jobs.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Are you talking about Tony Balogna? NYPD found that he violated guidelines on pepper spray use and is being disciplined

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...iplined-over-occupy-wall-street-pepper-spray/

Edit:

Doesn't pepper spray have similar scoville units to the ghost chilli? I've seen those videos of people eating that chilli looking like they're going to die, it has to be 10000 times worse to have that shit in your eyes than in your mouth.

Just caught your edit. Guess I'm wrong then. Doesn't necessarily make the guy a piece of shit though. Like I said above, there are too many areas open for interpretation and too many gray areas. Those cops are probably under a shit load of stress and are probably becoming just as agitated the protestors as well. Yes, I know they are held to a higher standard, but they are still human, which means imperfect.

Can't believe the guys name is Tony Balogna, wtf.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Just caught your edit. Guess I'm wrong then. Doesn't necessarily make the guy a piece of shit though. Like I said above, there are too many areas open for interpretation and too many gray areas. Those cops are probably under a shit load of stress and are probably becoming just as agitated the protestors as well. Yes, I know they are held to a higher standard, but they are still human, which means imperfect.

Can't believe the guys name is Tony Balogna, wtf.

Well, my edit was my question about how painful having pepper spray in your eyes is... i read pepper spray has a similar scovile level to the world's hottest chillis, and those are so painful, it's beyond comprehension. Having it in your EYES? I mean, i'd rather be punched than have to deal with that. I think using pepper spray on someone is the very definition of violence.

Edit: I might even want to be tazered instead, after seeing some of those 'ghost chilli' videos.

Edit2: No, he is a piece of shit.

Last edited:

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Well, my edit was my question about how painful having pepper spray in your eyes is... i read pepper spray has a similar scovile level to the world's hottest chillis, and those are so painful, it's beyond comprehension. Having it in your EYES? I mean, i'd rather be punched than have to deal with that. I think using pepper spray on someone is the very definition of violence.

Sorry about that, I thought you were the other guy, my post was to your first part. As for your edit, it's hard to explain. Did it hurt? No. It makes you tear up really bad and the mucas starts flowing. It burns too. But I don't think I would call it painful.

It does suck, but I'd take pepper spray over a baton any day. I would however say that I'd take a tazer before I took pepper spray, simply because the tazer is over and done with quickly whereas the spray last longer. But it's hard to taze multiple people if you feel it is warranted.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Edit2: No, he is a piece of shit.

It's easy for you to make that determination when you don't have to make the decision that he had to make. It's also easy to say that when you didn't see what went on previously in the video or throughout the day. A guy makes a bad judgement call and he's instantly a piece of shit.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It's easy for you to make that determination when you don't have to make the decision that he had to make. It's also easy to say that when you didn't see what went on previously in the video or throughout the day. A guy makes a bad judgement call and he's instantly a piece of shit.

Phokus calls everyone that disagrees with him an insulting name; rash words aren't exactly new to him. Nor is he long on street experience, unless you count the streets his liberal limousine carries him to work on.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
And anyone that's had a taste of both will tell you a tazer is way, way more pleasant than OC spray. You're fine 5 minutes after being tazed. Your testicles are probably going to burn 8 hours later when you take a shower after being OC sprayed.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Well, I guess it should be used without any reason any time the police think 'hey, someone seems upset and just in case there's a chance they'll do anything, let's spray.'

Protesting peacefully as citizens are guaranteed the right to do is more than enough reason to justify using pepper spray on them. They're obviously agitated if they are protesting.

I see a military-looking icon you use. You're JUST the sort of person we need 'defending' the people, someone who can and will justify ANY use of ANY violence against any citizen for nothing.

First, you say it's justified for their trying to escape the barricade. Then when you are informed they didn't, you don't miss a beat continuing to support it making up a new reason.

It's pretty clear your position, you support the use of violence against them, unconditionally. Justifications are just something to make up as you go along.

You could probably watch a police officer say to the girls, 'I'm sick of you protesters', get his gun and shoot them and you'd say it was the protesters' fault for causing the stress.

It's an authoritarian mentality you show, the sort we do not need in our citizens.

Really Craig? Really? Ok, let's play that game:
We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
QQ? Tea party was/us a bunch of pissed off neoconservatives and far-right fundie Christians. Is that really your benchmark for getting things done? Sarah Palin? Chrine O'Donnel... really?

When you say neo conservatives your referring to people who were Dems at one time . I hope you understand this .

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
And anyone that's had a taste of both will tell you a tazer is way, way more pleasant than OC spray. You're fine 5 minutes after being tazed. Your testicles are probably going to burn 8 hours later when you take a shower after being OC sprayed.

I agree, I'd take a tazer any day over a OC, I've had both. But, the tazers are riskier in terms of actual damage, and limited to the use on only one subject, not a group or crowd.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
If that was a regular protestor he would have gotten his ass beat for disobeying their orders. So yeah, they were scared shitless of him. Big black guy who happens to be a marine, someone's going to get hurt.

Probably not.
It was clearly a setup. I am sure they saw the camera.
This marine was clearly baiting the cops to try and get them to arrest him to and post the video on youtube.

What ended up happening was he simply made an ass of himself.

Clearly a stunt and the man should be ashamed.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Democracy in action. What a beautiful thing to see. Compare ours with the demonstrations going on elsewhere around the world and appreciate that we can voice our opinions and physically demonstrate in public as a right that can't be taken away..... for now.

The powers that be are going out of their way to control what we see and hear by owning it all, including the people we elect to represent our interests.

Demonstrations will be one of the last vestiges of a bygone era left available to the people to express their contempt for those who would take our rights away through corrupting our system of government.

It's happening now, and surely, if a person just gave it a moment's thought, it would become quite obvious what direction our nation is taking in this regard.

We should be celebrating what the protesters are doing. If not for the message that they are delivering, then for the fact that they are able to do it at all because some day, as previously mentioned, it very well may be the only recourse the oppressed majority will have left available to use against a powerful minority that feels destined to control every facet of our lives.

I for one, would not want to live in North Korea given the rights that I enjoy now, here in the good 'ol US of A.