1 Marine versus dozens of NYPD officers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
He threw a liquid in his face before that. He deserved it. There was an interview with him on Youtube a few days ago.

Don't take everything at face value there Morphy.

I think you heard the story wrong. Yeah, turns out it was a guy, not a woman. He admitted to giving the cop a dirty look, that's all. There is video showing what happened before that other video starts, and I don't see him carrying a drink. It's all here: http://gothamist.com/2011/10/14/hiv_positive_protester_says_cop_who.php

It doesn't matter what he did, it's not part of any arrest procedure to haul off and punch someone who's walking away from you. Anyway, the cop's wild punch apparently didn't land flush, instead hitting the dudes ear and ripping out his earring. The victim was HIV positive and his message to the cop was 'you better get tested.' Now wouldn't that be some karma in work.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Well, if there were no douches with phones video recording this I am sure a club to the head would have happened.

I gotta hand it to the NYPD, they have been showing great restraint in not bashing these occupy people.

NYPD was recording him too

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
All I saw was an annoying psycho spouting his mouth on the street. You don't think he wasn't out there for a reason? If he gets violent and starts a pushing and shoving contest, then 30 cops come beat his ass with tasers and nightsticks right for all the cameras to see. Then the media blows this up and it becomes a shit storm. To me, looks like the cops won as he eventually stfu. I doubt that the USMC will turn a blind eye to this. He's representing them by going out there in his uniform. He'll be dealt with.

Nah he won, since he got to scream in the faces of a bunch of cops and they didn't do a damn thing except stand there like meek little mice. And you know they were dying to do their usual thing, pull out there clubs and put a beatdown on someone who's disrespecting their authority.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Nah he won, since he got to scream in the faces of a bunch of cops and they didn't do a damn thing except stand there like meek little mice. And you know they were dying to do their usual thing, pull out there clubs and put a beatdown on someone who's disrespecting their authority.

I'm sure i will see you in chicago come this spring; keep "winning" by throwing rocks thru storefronts bud. At least you're sticking it to the man, amirite?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

You do know Eric Cartman isn't real, right?

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004

It seems to me you're envious of the marine's position of being a 'badass'. In the end, he looked like a raging madman and he'll be dealt with by the USMC and lose his job. Maybe next time I'm in New York I'll see him on the street asking people for any extra change.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
It seems to me you're envious of the marine's position of being a 'badass'. In the end, he looked like a raging madman and he'll be dealt with by the USMC and lose his job. Maybe next time I'm in New York I'll see him on the street asking people for any extra change.

I'm fairly certain he's already out.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
So....let me get this straight....on one hand, the supporters of this protest are kicking and screaming about police brutality. On the other hand, supporters of this protest are laughing and mocking when cops don't do something about someone yelling at them.

This is a prime example of the brainless, focusless, meaningless waste of time that is the occupy protests.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
You have a point, and that's why people oppose the corruption that misuses our armed forces to begin with for missions to benefit corporations and such.

You should read Gen. Smedley Butler's 'War is a Racket' book making the same point that he felt his 'service was misused by corrupt political agendas'.

Soldiers are fed that idealism, that they're 'protecting' their country to have a great democracy, that often doesn't hold up under scrutiny to what it's about.

It gets limited publicity but veterans have formed protest groups after every American war from the revolution to today.

I'd just like to get the young people who join more informed before they do so, so they can make better decisions about the pros and cons and be aware of good values.

This guy fits what you say, but his 'if you want to kill people go to Iraq and Afghanistan' shows his values are more questionable when it comes to non-Americans.

I think he meant well, but the police here did well in keeping cool while he ranted.

If things were to take a turn towards authoritarianism, we'd see a lot more and a lot worse scenes like this about disillusioned Americans screaming about abuse.

Good thoughts and information. Thank you. :thumbsup:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So....let me get this straight....on one hand, the supporters of this protest are kicking and screaming about police brutality. On the other hand, supporters of this protest are laughing and mocking when cops don't do something about someone yelling at them.

This is a prime example of the brainless, focusless, meaningless waste of time that is the occupy protests.

Believe it or not, being laughed at, yelled at, and mocked is not cause for assault and battery by the police.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Believe it or not, being laughed at, yelled at, and mocked is not cause for assault and battery by the police.

You're right. Now be a good sport and point out where I said or indicated that they were? My point is that these cops behaved fine - yet people like the OP are laughing it up as though they were cowardly for not doing something about it. The same people that would be crying foul if he had. These people don't want anything other than to cause a scene - they have no real focus or purpose. Esentially they are real-life trolls.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You're right. Now be a good sport and point out where I said or indicated that they were? My point is that these cops behaved fine - yet people like the OP are laughing it up as though they were cowardly for not doing something about it. The same people that would be crying foul if he had. These people don't want anything other than to cause a scene - they have no real focus or purpose. Esentially they are real-life trolls.

The OP is on the internet, so how is he/she a real life troll?

The guy in the video and the people around him are those who are in a place where real police brutality has happened and needed to be spoken out against. I don't really see how your post applies.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

The guy in the video and the people around him are those who are in a place where real police brutality has happened and needed to be spoken out against. I don't really see how your post applies.

You're right - the OP is on the internet, I'm glad you seem to agree (or at least don't disagree) that that behavior is trollish. However what you're (likely wilfully) missing is the fact that thousands of people are doing the same thing on the streets - including the guy in the video.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010

His reply is perfect. The police did exactly what they should have, stand by and let the guy talk. In effect, they did their jobs exactly the way that they should have and yet, they are painted as cowards for doing what is EXPECTED of them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
His reply is perfect. The police did exactly what they should have, stand by and let the guy talk. In effect, they did their jobs exactly the way that they should have and yet, they are painted as cowards for doing what is EXPECTED of them.

I think you need to go read my post again, his reply was most certainly not perfect. No one in the video mocked the cops for being cowards that I saw. He was trying to put the people online who did together with what the people in real life did, and there was no reason to do that. There were no real life trolls here, just people speaking out against police brutality.

I've now actually been to several OWS events and while I'm sure there are some people who are antagonizing the cops, the vast majority of people just try to ignore them until they start arresting people.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You're right - the OP is on the internet, I'm glad you seem to agree (or at least don't disagree) that that behavior is trollish. However what you're (likely wilfully) missing is the fact that thousands of people are doing the same thing on the streets - including the guy in the video.

The guy is calling them out for actual cases of police brutality and that is absolutely appropriate. He is doing nothing like what the OP is doing (which is most certainly silly, the cops acted very appropriately in this video).

Have you been to any OWS events in NYC? While of course I didn't witness this exact event, I was personally at the Occupy Times Square event where this happened to see what was going on (I didn't participate). I didn't see anyone mocking the NYPD in the way the OP is, much less 'thousands' of people.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The guy is calling them out for actual cases of police brutality and that is absolutely appropriate. He is doing nothing like what the OP is doing (which is most certainly silly, the cops acted very appropriately in this video).

Have you been to any OWS events in NYC? While of course I didn't witness this exact event, I was personally at the Occupy Times Square event where this happened to see what was going on (I didn't participate). I didn't see anyone mocking the NYPD in the way the OP is, much less 'thousands' of people.

How big do you think it was by your account?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

NYC, no, but considering my bus stop I use to get to/from the gym is right in the heart of the Occupy Seattle protest, I'd say I'm familiar enough with these crowds, and yes, there were plenty of people heckling cops, all but literally asking them to do something. Is it the majority of the people? No, of course not, but as I've said regarding this 'movement' before, there's no clear goal. Some want to heckle cops. Some want to protest war. Some want to protest wall street. There is no clear message, no clear path. Its just a bunch of disjointed people that feel like causing a stir.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Really?:confused:

Ok, I re-watched the video, they didn't push the barrier. But seriously, pepper spray is still justified in my opinion. You have a group of people whose agitation is increasing and is set off even more by what they see happen.

Would you rather wait until someone gets hurt and the cops taze them?

Pepper spray is one the best tools the cops have, it has no real bad effects, and as you can see, it does a great job of dispersing a crowd.

Well, I guess it should be used without any reason any time the police think 'hey, someone seems upset and just in case there's a chance they'll do anything, let's spray.'

Protesting peacefully as citizens are guaranteed the right to do is more than enough reason to justify using pepper spray on them. They're obviously agitated if they are protesting.

I see a military-looking icon you use. You're JUST the sort of person we need 'defending' the people, someone who can and will justify ANY use of ANY violence against any citizen for nothing.

First, you say it's justified for their trying to escape the barricade. Then when you are informed they didn't, you don't miss a beat continuing to support it making up a new reason.

It's pretty clear your position, you support the use of violence against them, unconditionally. Justifications are just something to make up as you go along.

You could probably watch a police officer say to the girls, 'I'm sick of you protesters', get his gun and shoot them and you'd say it was the protesters' fault for causing the stress.

It's an authoritarian mentality you show, the sort we do not need in our citizens.

Last edited:

llee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2009
When I saw the title of this post I half expected some sort of Hollywood-like action sequence where a soldier with long shaggy hair and sweat flowing down his face under the mid-day heat uses his superior hand-to-hand combat skills to take down human waves of NYPD officers as they come charging down a hill with batons shouting obscenities.

Oh well.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Uh, guys, the cops weren't scared of him in the slightest. An angry guy ranting on a street corner is nothing new in any major city. I also don't see anything in the video that suggests the cops were doing anything other than making sure things don't turn violent because some OWS twit decides to do something stupid(er).

Second, this guy can't even wear the DCU properly. Reviewing the video.

-Undershirt untucked
-Blouse unbuttoned
-Beard (Possible shaving waiver in place while active duty)
-Sleeves 3/4s rolled up
-Ribbons on the DCU blouse
-DCU blouse unbuttoned

The way he was dressed and behaving one would assume that he just bought those ribbons and shirt to add a little more effect to his rant. Then again I'm pretty sure more then one of those cops were probably ex-military and thus were unaffected by his rant and emotional appeal.

Last edited: