1 Marine versus dozens of NYPD officers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
He keeps asking why they are doing "this" so he's still being an idiot and not exclusively talking about a prior event he witnessed.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I've just started watching and the cops are just standing there. He's implying that the cops are hurting people, but I don't see it. He keeps saying "leave these people alone;" but they aren't messing with anyone. They're just standing around, watchful, ready to be of assistance if anything bad happens.

Big-talker seems like a total douche.

[edit]
He saw some people apprehended earlier and acts like there couldn't have possibly been a reason for it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, OP. There is something wrong with you.

He saw some people apprehended and can't comprehend that there might have been a reason for it. :rolleyes:

and I guess you can't comprehend that he was speaking to those cops as the NYPD in general...or it was done to make a point and not just yell at some random cops.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
So you are saying that the cops in the video weren't there to keep the peace and were guilty of doing something they shouldn't just because you have another video of something else entirely?

See the post by slayer202 above you. It's a rant against the NYPD in general, but he needs to rant at somebody.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
He may be feeling betrayed by his own country upon witnessing the police actions against the citizens and idealistic way of life he risked his own life to protect.

Young men and women often idealistically believe in proudly serving a country worthy of their sacrifice. Some may call this being naive. Others call it believing in what is right. When those veterans become aware of the imperfections of their government, they can feel betrayed by the same government they sacrificed their time, energy, and risked their lives for.

I can relate to this since this is exactly how I feel about this country I have served.

You have a point, and that's why people oppose the corruption that misuses our armed forces to begin with for missions to benefit corporations and such.

You should read Gen. Smedley Butler's 'War is a Racket' book making the same point that he felt his 'service was misused by corrupt political agendas'.

Soldiers are fed that idealism, that they're 'protecting' their country to have a great democracy, that often doesn't hold up under scrutiny to what it's about.

It gets limited publicity but veterans have formed protest groups after every American war from the revolution to today.

I'd just like to get the young people who join more informed before they do so, so they can make better decisions about the pros and cons and be aware of good values.

This guy fits what you say, but his 'if you want to kill people go to Iraq and Afghanistan' shows his values are more questionable when it comes to non-Americans.

I think he meant well, but the police here did well in keeping cool while he ranted.

If things were to take a turn towards authoritarianism, we'd see a lot more and a lot worse scenes like this about disillusioned Americans screaming about abuse.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
OP has lost his mind. Change threadd title to "1 uneducated marine yells a bunch of nonsense at cops".

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
That video and this thread is frustrating in so many ways.

99.9% of the time, when the police resort to violence, i.e. tazing and clubbing, it is because the protestors are non-compliant. If they are told to move or are causing any type of disturbance, or are forming too big of a crowd that causes a disturbance, they need to move. Are the cops just supposed to keep asking them nicely to move? Are the cops just supposed to sit there and do jack shit because the protestors are "peaceful". A cop can only tell you to do something so many times before one of two things happens. He will either:
A) lose credibility and give the impression that he won't do anything and basically tell the person that he can do whatever he wants with no consequence.
B) Take action and show that orders from the police must be obeyed.

These "peaceful protests" are made of passive aggresives that are just looking and waiting for the one agitator of their group to make their move. When that happens, the passives become active and then they become physical and that's when people get tazed, clubbed, and pushed by the cops. The "peaceful" protesters actually want this to happen. This is what gets them more attention.

As for the Marine, he's an idiot. First he's a disgrace by wearing the uniform improperly. Second, he is acting that way because he knows he has a camera on him and he is using his size to his advantage. I hate all the "tell it to his face" comments. So what, he's big, doesn't make him any less of an asshole. Those cops are just doing their jobs, in the same way that he was just doing his job in Iraq/Afghanistan. He of all people should know that.

Last edited:

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I'd love to see you say that to his face.

I don't much agree with most of the OWS movement, but I can understand the Marine's frustration if he truly witnessed police unprovokedly manhandling a bunch of protesters; as annoying as they might be, they're still citizens as he puts it.

That being said, if he threatened or resorted to physical violence in the event that someone came up and called him an "annoying little shit," he'd be no better than the police officers he's criticizing.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
These "peaceful protests" are made of passive aggresives that are just looking and waiting for the one agitator of their group to make their move. When that happens, the passives become active and then they become physical and that's when people get tazed, clubbed, and pushed by the cops. The "peaceful" protesters actually want this to happen. This is what gets them more attention.

It used to be called "pig baiting". It's essentially trolling in RL. You get a bunch of people tiptoeing on the edge of the law, yelling insults and rhetoric at the cops, waiting until either one of the cops gets pissed and acts up or one of the crowd gets violent.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Funny, only thing I saw in that video were some people get sprayed because they don't know how to stay behind a barrier, and decided to keep pushing it out into the street.

Really? Because what I saw was some girls just standing there behind the barrier, where they belong, and getting maced for absolutely no reason. Real classy act there by the police.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Watch the cop punch the woman in the green shirt at 0:18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BB9EZvpRh6o

Just doing their job huh? Is beating up on woman part of the job?

Can't see what she does first, hard to say if she slapped him, pushed him or hit him. It is obvious that she does something, but a shitty camera angle doesn't show what she did.

What are his options in a crowded street with everyones adrenaline going and everyone waiting for the one person to snap, and then he gets pushed or hit. He may not even have seen it coming. His only options are punch back, push back, spray, taze, or yell. The latter of the options probably innefective at that point once someone has resorted to physical contact, yelling probably won't work.

But like I said, it's too shitty of a video to determine what the full story is, just like most of the videos that get posted. You think that video would've made it to the internet with an OccupyWallStreet tag if it clearly showed her punching him first (not saying she punched him, just a question)

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Really? Because what I saw was some girls just standing there behind the barrier, where they belong, and getting maced for absolutely no reason. Real classy act there by the police.

Really?:confused:

Ok, I re-watched the video, they didn't push the barrier. But seriously, pepper spray is still justified in my opinion. You have a group of people whose agitation is increasing and is set off even more by what they see happen.

Would you rather wait until someone gets hurt and the cops taze them?

Pepper spray is one the best tools the cops have, it has no real bad effects, and as you can see, it does a great job of dispersing a crowd.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Uh, guys, the cops weren't scared of him in the slightest. An angry guy ranting on a street corner is nothing new in any major city. I also don't see anything in the video that suggests the cops were doing anything other than making sure things don't turn violent because some OWS twit decides to do something stupid(er).

Second, this guy can't even wear the DCU properly. Reviewing the video.

-Undershirt untucked
-Blouse unbuttoned
-Beard (Possible shaving waiver in place while active duty)
-Sleeves 3/4s rolled up
-Ribbons on the DCU blouse
-DCU blouse unbuttoned

He's not on active duty, this is the second person who has suggested that discharged personnel should adhere to military dress codes. He's also in violation of the USMC's civilian dress codes too. We should go report him to his nonexistent supervisor! Time for some EMI!

What's strange is that the fact that he's discharged is listed clearly in the description of the video. Folks gotta read round these parts.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
QQ more bitch

I'm not sure if you noticed, but we're not exactly in the middle of a Call of Duty Xbox match here... and unless you're 12, I'm not sure I'd proudly let others know that I use the term "QQ."

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Cops are just ignoring him, almost like he's not even there. No shitting in the pants seen.

Exactly. They are more rolling their eyes than anything. I don't see anyone afraid of him. All they need to do is pull their taser out and zap him and he's on the ground like M.J Fox.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
If that was a regular protestor he would have gotten his ass beat for disobeying their orders. So yeah, they were scared shitless of him. Big black guy who happens to be a marine, someone's going to get hurt.

Sure, because they couldn't just pepper spray him if they felt he should be arrested.