News 1-in-8 recovered covid-19 patients die within 5-months

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

Damn.
Almost a third of recovered COVID-19 patients in a UK study ended up back in the hospital within five months — and up to one in eight died of complications from the illness, according to a report.

Researchers at the UK’s Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics found that out of 47,780 people discharged from the hospital, 29.4 percent were readmitted within 140 days, the Telegraph reported.

Of the total, 12.3 percent ended up dying, it added.

Respiratory disease was diagnosed in 14,140 of the COVID cases after discharge, with 6,085 of the diagnoses in patients who had no history of respiratory conditions.

The mean age of study participants was 65 years.

Many people who suffer long-lasting effects of the coronavirus develop heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions, according to the report.

The research also found a higher risk of problems developing in various organs after people younger than 70 and ethnic minorities were discharged from the hospital, according to the Guardian.

“People seem to be going home, getting long-term effects, coming back in and dying. We see nearly 30 percent have been readmitted, and that’s a lot of people. The numbers are so large,” study author Kamlesh Khunti said.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
To clarify that is 1 in 8 people that ended up in the hospital, not 1 in 8 people that got Covid.
Researchers at the UK’s Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics found that out of 47,780 people discharged from the hospital, 29.4 percent were readmitted within 140 days, the Telegraph reported.

Of the total, 12.3 percent ended up dying, it added.

Respiratory disease was diagnosed in 14,140 of the COVID cases after discharge, with 6,085 of the diagnoses in patients who had no history of respiratory conditions.

The mean age of study participants was 65 years

So the Covid-19 virus is leaving a lasting effect of people's health.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
and this:

Many people who suffer long-lasting effects of the coronavirus develop heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions, according to the report.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Can't help but wonder what other lasting effects it may have on even younger people who did not end up hospitalized or even very sick. Like 10-20+ years down the line. Maybe not early death but maybe still quality of life issues that start to come up.

Reactions: Zorba

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
1 in 8 who were originally hospitalized due to COVID and then discharged died later of complications.

Older people are more likely to be hospitalized due to COVID. Many don't recover but die in the hospital. So if you survive round #1, there is still a 1 in 8 chance that round #2 is going to take you out.

So combined, this makes the mortality rate for older people 15% or greater? And fucking Trump loving complete idiots still call it a hoax.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Can't help but wonder what other lasting effects it may have on even younger people who did not end up hospitalized or even very sick. Like 10-20+ years down the line. Maybe not early death but maybe still quality of life issues that start to come up.

Their hair become red and they want to move to the rural area to have their own outdoor outhouses? :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I just read this...NY Post isn't my favorite source for news.

The study cited that over 47k people were in the study so over 5600 died. They say what...20% of covid patients require hospitalization?

Would that be around ~2.3% covid related deaths on top of those that died in the hospital assuming the full sample was around 235k? I'm ballparking it. That may push the final mortality rate closer to 5-6%.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
But the mean age of the study is 65. I wouldn't be surprise if most of the ones raised hospitalized are older than 65

But it also said

The research also found a higher risk of problems developing in various organs after people younger than 70 and ethnic minorities were discharged from the hospital, according to the Guardian.

That link being:

The risk of post-discharge illness – such as respiratory conditions, diabetes and problems with the heart, liver and kidneys – in Covid-19 patients was higher compared with the control group. That risk was also greater in younger and ethnic minority individuals compared with those aged 70 and above and white people.

Though to be honest I'm not quite sure how to interpret those statements. It seems to be saying it's not just old age that makes the long-term effects grim.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Quite a few people have been hospitalized. It's a bit of a scary stat for those who were bad off enough to check into to the hospital. I know of a few people who had to around my "friends" circle. Nobody in the inner circle, people I haven't seen in quite some time. But, they still had to.

When I check my states stats, hospital beds are much less than a few months ago, nearing full capacity while numbers are still rising

Nov 20, 2009
I stated pretty much that back in February 2020 when someone asked people to guess the total deaths. The secondary effects will be brutal.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I read that headline and i call bullshit. They *maybe* mean that a number of people die from CV19 complications, at home, AFTER they have been hospitalized & discharged. It's probably looking at people who have had lung lesions, neurological symptoms, or who had a previously existing condition exacerbated by the strain of the virus and the aforementioned long-lasting effects.

We can see from the WW deathrate that the numbers don't match that headline. The article above is more about misdiagnosing discharges than the virus' mortality rate, i.e. "we looked at this bunch of deaths post-discharge and found out that 12% of them should NOT have been discharged".

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You don't just develop diabetes.
And diabetes could be related to the kidney failure, as a ton of diabetics if not controlled ultimately end up getting dialysis as they are older.
And diabetes is also common in older people,.
And the fact you can't do anything and are locked down, and cant even work out, also most likely wont work out or exercise after being discharged can lead to diabetes.

They are trying to make it sound like COVID causes diabetes, which i highly doubt.
Your either born with it, or progressive develop it from not eating correctly and not exercising.

They should redue the survey and find out how many of the sample sets had originally been diabetic, and not make it sound like COVID causes diabetes. Diabetes is not something you throw around to make the story more saucy. Its horrible on the person who has it, and again when the doctors need to start amputating limbs off because of it, you should not throw it around loosey like cancer.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
You don't just develop diabetes.
And diabetes could be related to the kidney failure, as a ton of diabetics if not controlled ultimately end up getting dialysis as they are older.
And diabetes is also common in older people,.
And the fact you can't do anything and are locked down, and cant even work out, also most likely wont work out or exercise after being discharged can lead to diabetes.

They are trying to make it sound like COVID causes diabetes, which i highly doubt.
Your either born with it, or progressive develop it from not eating correctly and not exercising.

They should redue the survey and find out how many of the sample sets had originally been diabetic, and not make it sound like COVID causes diabetes. Diabetes is not something you throw around to make the story more saucy. Its horrible on the person who has it, and again when the doctors need to start amputating limbs off because of it, you should not throw it around loosey like cancer.

I agree with you that diabetes is a serious condition, however what I am understanding from the (poorly written) article is that people who had to be hospitalized for COVID are frequently being readmitted to the hospital for treatment of a newly acquired condition and that one of the new conditions they are seeing is diabetes.

Given other reports of the damage COVID can leave behind, it certainly seems possible to me that beta cells in the pancreas could be lost and lead to Type 1 diabetes. I wouldn't even rule out the possibility the COVID might increase insulin resistance and lead to Type 2 diabetes. There is so much about COVID that we have yet to learn.

My two cents...

Reactions: pmv

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I agree with you that diabetes is a serious condition, however what I am understanding from the (poorly written) article is that people who had to be hospitalized for COVID are frequently being readmitted to the hospital for treatment of a newly acquired condition and that one of the new conditions they are seeing is diabetes.

Given other reports of the damage COVID can leave behind, it certainly seems possible to me that beta cells in the pancreas could be lost and lead to Type 1 diabetes. I wouldn't even rule out the possibility the COVID might increase insulin resistance and lead to Type 2 diabetes. There is so much about COVID that we have yet to learn.

My two cents...

The Doctor stated that they were seeing both types developing shortly after Covid-19 illness. From other stories and other research it seems that Covid-19 is not your average FLU virus and people are having many other problems that develop:

Reactions: pmv

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

Damn.
According to Wikipedia's list of well known source reliability list.... New York Post is stated to be unreliable. :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reliable_sources/Perennial_sources#New_York_Post

Reactions: BudAshes

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

There are other ways of getting diabetes. For starters there's genetically-determined diabetes that comes on later in life.

And women can develop it as a result of pregnancy

And you can develop it as a result of hydrocephalus, due to the excess pressure in your skull messing with your hormones.

So I don't think it's completely impossible that COVID might trigger it somehow.

Nov 20, 2009
Insulin signals the liver to store blood sugar (sugars in the form of glucose) as an energy store. COVID-19 acts on blood. So, I wouldn't think that this would be all that astounding but I am not sure I claim it causes diabetes, but just linked. Linking is just how things work. Its like saying poor maintenance linked to faulty engines in a car. Well, if you never change the oil and got 500K miles on it then, yeah, I can make the link.