1 in 5 Americans don't speak English at home

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I'm most frightened by French being in 3rd place :)

Doesn't bother me, as long as they speak English outside of the home. I have great respect for people who know 2+ languages, thats 1 more than I know :). I don't have respect for people who live in this country and refuse to try and learn english.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well if it's speak then why in the hell isn't it speach instead of speech. I don't blame people for not speaking English at home. English needs what some 42 letters, regularizing, and every body could spell perfectly. Speech recognition could also be simplified and kids wouldn't have to waste their time memorizing words.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Well if it's speak then why in the hell isn't it speach instead of speech. I don't blame people for not speaking English at home. English needs what some 42 letters, regularizing, and every body could spell perfectly. Speech recognition could also be simplified and kids wouldn't have to waste their time memorizing words.

Then it wouldn't be English, now would it? Everyone else can learn it (or has done so), why can't "they"?

I don't care which language someone chooses to speak at home, but when you live in the U.S., you sure as heck better be able to speak English.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: daniel1113

Then it wouldn't be English, now would it? Everyone else can learn it (or has done so), why can't "they"?

I don't care which language someone chooses to speak at home, but when you live in the U.S., you sure as heck better be able to speak English.
Of course it would be English. It would just be vastly easier to learn to read and write it. The language itself would be the same.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Well at least until English speaking Americans are in the minority then we better learn to speak Spanish;)

LadyJessica

Apr 20, 2000
Big fvcking deal. Look at China and the mess of dialects. They seem to get along pretty well.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: LadyJessica
Big fvcking deal. Look at China and the mess of dialects. They seem to get along pretty well.

Your kidding right?

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize

Doesn't bother me, as long as they speak English outside of the home. I have great respect for people who know 2+ languages, thats 1 more than I know :). I don't have respect for people who live in this country and refuse to try and learn english.

Don't worry about the French speakers, it is probably my relatives in southern Louisiana that are cajun. Some of them don't speak English at all. Of course they don't really speak French either...cajun French is unique.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
they "get along" because Big Brother makes them "get along"

How have they been made to get along? Only thing that was 'made' was Mandarin was made the official language, but people are still free to speak their regional dialect.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
they "get along" because Big Brother makes them "get along"

China existed millenia before "Big Brother" came along.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

You do know that the proper way to spell "honor" is actually "honour"? Harbour, Neighbour, Colour are some others. Is american english then not english?

But yes, moonbeam is right for the spelling. I know one other language other than english and you spell words the way you pronounce them.

Odoacer

Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize

I agree with you, and something that also disturbs me is that tax dollars are being spent to educate children 'bilingually'. Now, I don't have anything against Spanish or immigrants (provided they're legal), but English is what these students are going to be dealing with the rest of their lives if they live in America and we should teach them accordingly...

Odoacer

Jun 30, 2001
one of the Pacific Islander languages I think, from Indonesia or the Philippines or something.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

But yes, moonbeam is right for the spelling. I know one other language other than english and you spell words the way you pronounce them.

yeah, i like the setup most of the slavic languages follow, they make sense in spelling, vs. english

i was in bulgarija for half a day this summer btw.. lol (thats what you speak right? memory failing.)

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

You do know that the proper way to spell "honor" is actually "honour"? Harbour, Neighbour, Colour are some others. Is american english then not english?

There is a difference between changing the spelling and adding 16 letters to the alphabet...

jeremy806

May 10, 2000
Well, it does not matter to me what language people speak inside or outside of their homes. At this point in time, there are many advantageous associated with speaking English, so if it were me, I would learn English. But since it is not me, everyone can speak as they please.

Jeremy

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
The literacy rate here in the US is really sad. I don't mind that people speak other languages at home, its when in public that it gets annoying sometimes. Why can't we be like Sweden, they have a 100% literacy rate!

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000

Exactly... If you want to live the "American" dream and live by our laws, and principles...

Speak English.

Speak English or get the fvck out.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: bjc112

Exactly... If you want to live the "American" dream and live by our laws, and principles...

Speak English.

Speak English or get the fvck out.

Uhhhh no.....

I agree with part of it - I don't have to speak English to experience the American dream and to live by laws and principles. If I wanted I'll go and yap in any other language.

Speaking English in the US does give an advtange economically and if you can speak English it helps develop your public identity much easier/faster. I think its a LOT harder to become a successful businessman without speaking English...its possible but much harder.

But to say, "Get the fvck" out is too harsh. I wonder how you would hand 10 minutes at my campus (Uni of Cali Irvine)