1.85 Volts on my Athlon T-Bird, too much?

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
1.85 Volts on my Athlon T-Bird, too much? How long will it last with this Voltage?

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Longer than you will own it most likely........:D

1.85v is only .1v higher than its default. That is barely outside the 5% that is tolerance. I ran my T-bird at 2.05v for over a year and it still ran fine right before I upgraded to my P4........:D

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Ah! Thank you!

I was reading a view posts about northwoods, overclocking them, and voltages. I read something about a higher voltage eventually wears down everything inside the CPU, then it goes poof.

Glad to know my Athlon isn't frying yet, or hopefully, anytime soon. :)

Thanks again!

nemo160

Jul 16, 2001
yuou're only running .1 volts over stock..not enough to cause major degradation to the chip
keep in mind that default voltage for these is 1.75, significantly highter than stock voltage on a northwood
i wouldn't be worried about anything under 2 volts as long as you keep it cool
every voltage bump does add a decent amount of extra heat to be dealt with

rocketbubba

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001
My Iwill mobo's vcore was set on Auto and gave a reading of 1.84v for my T-Bird 1.4. Because my cpu temps were a little high (over 50 C under load), I manually lowered the vcore to 1.65 and I got a 1.73 reading in return (I understand this mobo reads a little high) which resulted in a significant temperature drop with no loss of performance. So the moral of the story is 1.85 is probably ok if it's cool enough, but you might be able to cool it a little (and probably prolong its life a little too) by lowering the volts a tad. Just my 2 cents.