1.6a/ burning in RAM questions.

Showtime

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2002
This is my 1st real tweak/mod project. I was curious what are the best boards for ocing the 1.6a northwood cpu. My cpu version:
PROD CODE: BX80532PC1600DSL668
FPO/BATCH# 3209A091
PACK DATE:03/28/02
I currently use a msi ultra645. I've gotten it to 146 fsb @ 1.6volts but I think i need more voltage. It runs very stable at 2.3+Ghz. I'd like to get more voltage. I plan on trying the wire wrap but I can't find the diagram with what pins to short. My current board doesnt have a lot of voltage adjustments that my MSI ultra 845aru had. It clocks better and the 333 ram support helps.
How do I properly burn in memory. I've gotten the XMS2700c2 to 350+mhz c2. Its pretty good till around 358mhz but I read that burning in the memory helps with performance.
Currently I'm modding my antec1030b so all my stuff is in the old case. I'd like to finish the cpu short for higher voltage and any other tweaks before replacing the parts. Lastly do I need to lap(sand?) my cooler. Its a tt volc7+ w/ a very flat polished copper bottom?
Thanks for any advice,
-show

Showtime

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2002
oh yeah, is there anything that can be done to my mobo?
something simple or if really worthwhile i can do some sodering.
i thinks thats all the questions i have. i'm trying to finish it all this weekend.
probably wont happen though.
-show

jyrgen

Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Showtime
... I'd like to get more voltage. I plan on trying the wire wrap but I can't find the diagram with what pins to short. ...
You can find some info here.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Test your stability at 2.3ghz and 1.6v with prime....

Also burn in of ram is useless. Check out thread floating around the last day about this. Top notch intel engineer who works in this field writes a nice reply to explain it scientifically. he is experienced so take his word for it. He knows more then you....

Either the ram does it or not.

Showtime

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2002
thanks for the info.
BTW frys has a 1.6a/SOYO p4s combo for $209. The thing is you can get another mobo and still get the cpu at the sale price. Last time I did this, it came out to $120 for the northwood and $89 for my mobo. Best price I've seen on this chip. Dont know what kind of mobos they currently have though.
-show