[5/15/24 - Build Complete] Bow before me I built a new rig. Boy, things have come a long way.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
Its a noisy case build no doubt. There is a huge difference compared to my older bequiet. If that is one of your concerns you should get a case like the ones from bequiet and the fans are awesome with noise. Maybe do be a little careful since they dont move that much air. I got bequiet fans in my 4000d case and that helped a lot. :)
And it's still louder than my old rig with a rickety old case fans and CPU fans.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Its a noisy case build no doubt. There is a huge difference compared to my older bequiet. If that is one of your concerns you should get a case like the ones from bequiet and the fans are awesome with noise. Maybe do be a little careful since they dont move that much air. I got bequiet fans in my 4000d case and that helped a lot. :)
I individually turned off each and both case fans. They're not the culprit.

It has to be the CPU fan + open mesh case. I still haven't opened it to turn it off with my finger (since I can't manually turn it off).

Can't be the PSU fan because it's the same PSU from my old rig that was quieter at idle.

Dec 10, 2005
You must have really sensitive hearing, or the CPU fan is obnoxiously loud.

Currently, with just this window open, I can barely hear my computer in a 4000D about 2 feet away at ear level over background, and only if I actively listen for it.

6 fans (1x CPU + 3 intake + 2 exhaust); CPU fan at 700 RPM, case fans around 875 RPM.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007

It has to be the CPU fan + open mesh case. I still haven't opened it to turn it off with my finger (since I can't manually turn it off).

Can't be the PSU fan because it's the same PSU from my old rig that was quieter at idle.
So it's not the case fans or the PSU, but you did nothing to test the CPU fans? Why can't you manually turn it off? How did you turn off the case fans? Can you not use the software you used to control the speeds. You should be able to set the fans to zero.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

I have an open mesh case with the DeepCool AK620 which is virtually silent running low RPMs. Which your should be as well.

Are you sure the CPU fans are mounted the right way?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I have an open mesh case with the DeepCool AK620 which is virtually silent running low RPMs. Which your should be as well.

Are you sure the CPU fans are mounted the right way?
I'll open the case again, but I highly doubt it. They're just simple clips and are tightly coupled on all 4 clips ends, spread evenly.

The CPU fans themselves were handled with super care during install. And during load, it barely gets louder (amazing vs my old rig sounds like it's dying).

It's just the idle sound isn't loud. It's just isn't quiet as my old rig.

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I'll open the case again, but I highly doubt it. They're just simple clips and are tightly coupled on all 4 clips ends, spread evenly.

The CPU fans themselves were handled with super care during install. And during load, it barely gets louder (amazing vs my old rig sounds like it's dying).

It's just the idle sound isn't loud. It's just isn't quiet as my old rig.
But are the fans facing the correct direction?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Boot in the BIOS so that the CPU is idling, then pull the CPU fan leads out of the connectors.

Reactions: Zeze and biostud

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
So I played with FanControl a lot more. Man this thing kicks ass. I got to test out all the curves and learned a few things:

1. There's a huge diminishing return for the going below an idle temp.
2. Fans going super high isn't as effective as the noise it makes.

Before tuning, the fans were idling at 40%~ at 6-700 RPM~. I set the suckers to the lowest possible and it's noticeably quieter. And temp is up maybe 2 degrees if that? Yeah, loud fan is just better suited for high temps.

Even with all this, I think my old school closed-up case was quieter simply because it's enclosed. I mean it's really down to just the PSU fan. But I won't upgrade that until I upgrade the GPU anyway.

It's crazy how quiet it is under load.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
What did you upgrade from?

Nothing really haven't tried AMD in a long time but had one maybe 10 years ago but don't remember the processor model sorry. I just know it was a popular really good amd processor too. Not saying the Ryzen 7800X3D is bad I just notice the slower speed in applications a little.

I do have a Intel system but wanted to compare them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The only place the "X3D" part really makes a difference is in gaming 99% of the time.

I'm skipping this CPU generation (5800x is still fine!) so I'm not up on relative clock-speeds but as I recall the X3D chips are clocked a bit slower then "standard".... I know for sure the 5800X3D is.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
The only place the "X3D" part really makes a difference is in gaming 99% of the time.

I'm skipping this CPU generation (5800x is still fine!) so I'm not up on relative clock-speeds but as I recall the X3D chips are clocked a bit slower then "standard".... I know for sure the 5800X3D is.
Unless you do some kind of CPU intensive work, or just always want the newest, you can usually skip a couple of generations before it is worth upgrading your CPU. Personally I want +50% performance before I upgrade.
Also I want more cores every time I upgrade, so maybe I'll get a 9950X3D Zen6 for AM5 on discount once zen7 is launched. :p

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Yea, if you want to be blown away, don't upgrade like me.

Jesus I thought i3-3770 was still relevant because it's the OG quadcore. Well, it was for 1080p AAA titles- Elden Ring @ 50-60fps, OW2 @ 60 fps vsync on no stutter (probably 70-80 fps avg), Baudur's Gate 3 was perfectly more than playable at 50-60 fps at max settings.

But this 7800x3d is just insane. Counterstrike (of all games) had the biggest game.

My 1440p monitor arrived before my new system:

Before I got 30-50 (unplayable for competitive fps) at almost maxed settings. I'd go all low settings then got 80-100 fps on rtx2070.

Now, with the new CPU / DDR5, CS2 is all maxed 140-150 fps. :oops:

Reactions: Captante

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Unless you do some kind of CPU intensive work, or just always want the newest, you can usually skip a couple of generations before it is worth upgrading your CPU. Personally I want +50% performance before I upgrade.
Also I want more cores every time I upgrade, so maybe I'll get a 9950X3D Zen6 for AM5 on discount once zen7 is launched. :p
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking I'd like to upgrade to Zen5 when Zen6 comes out. I threaten my PC with being replaced by a Mac first though, that's SOP for me.

• Haha

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
So this build is still in its 'sleeping' stage since it's waiting for a worthy GPU (4080 or 4070ti super) from 2070.

But I realized I have no need for it. For what, playing Alan Wake II which I don't enjoy too much of? CS2 / OW2 / FF7R all play amazingly well.

I may just hold out entirely until 5000 series and GTA6.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
So this build is still in its 'sleeping' stage since it's waiting for a worthy GPU (4080 or 4070ti super) from 2070.

But I realized I have no need for it. For what, playing Alan Wake II which I don't enjoy too much of? CS2 / OW2 / FF7R all play amazingly well.

The 4080 is a triple-slot behemoth; and when it launched, was considered a poor price/performance choice.

Based on the titles you currently play, I would wait for GeForce 50 or even 60 series if I were you.

Reactions: Zeze

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Alan Wake II = Walking simulator + jump-scares.

Personally I found it disappointing. (sorry) :(

Reactions: Zeze

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Alan Wake II = Walking simulator + jump-scares.

Personally I found it disappointing. (sorry) :(
I appreciate the genre, but I just don't find myself launching the game often.

"Okay, this game is well liked, so I better chore through."

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Slower compared to what?

He's probably referring to i9-13 & 14 series blowing 7800x3d out of the water in productivity benchmarks (by 30-40%++).

For gaming, 7800x3d destroys the i7-14700k as seen by the comprehensive gaming benchmarks from various yt nerds. It's really surreal that it costs nearly half as much, can be cheaply air-cooled, draws little power, and beats THE #1 chip of intel by 5-15% in today's numerous AAA titles.

It feels pretty good since I've always built budget rigs all my life. The $499 microcenter bundle made it so easy to reach today's top gaming CPU.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
You concealed the new issue by editing the first post. Have you resolved the problem?

Does F11 get you to the boot menu, with an option to enter Setup?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You concealed the new issue by editing the first post. Have you resolved the problem?

Does F11 get you to the boot menu, with an option to enter Setup?
Sorry. I posted to hell on reddit & msi forums.

Something got messed up in the mobo. I can't get into bios settings at all across many different versions of BIOS (updated/flashed via usb stick).

The fact that the problem persists throughout the CMOS battery being pulled out indicates something is messed up. I'll drive to MC for a replacement.

Reactions: igor_kavinski