1/2 HP Garage Door Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
What are the chances a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener is strong enough for a 2-car garage door with insulation?

I moved into a new house recently and am trying to avoid buying a new opener, but if its not even worth trying, I'll just sell the 1/2 on craiglist and upgrade. I don't want to carelessly kill the 1/2hp motor first tho.

UPDATE 4/4:
I had the garage door installer back to adjust the door. He lubed it and widened the runner on one side at the top, where resistance was greater the further it opened.

Its very smooth and loose-feeling now. :)

So I installed the 1/2 hp opener last night and it takes near max force to open it, but is very quiet (relatively speaking) and overall works great.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Make sure the tension spring is properly adjusted. If you can easily raise and lower the door when the drive is disengaged, it's good. The opener in my place is a Craftsman from 1976 with a remote control thing added onto it. The lights don't work right anymore, I know why but haven't gotten around to fixing it. But it's quiet and works well. So if it works, just use it :)

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
You need to make sure that the springs are tensioned correctly. You aren't going to burn out the motor on any opener. You are going to strip the big nylon gear first. You'd be better off adding a second spring to your door to make it easier to open than to get a 3/4 hp opener.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Thanks for the replies. I've had some concerns about the door, altho since its under warranty I had them 'fix' it which included adding tension to the cable. Its slipped back into a little more resistance when its near the top again (this is a panel door) but otherwise pretty good. Once I install the door opener, the door is no longer under warranty (the warranty came with the house), so I think I'm going to bring him back first and then put it up.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Was your previous motor old? I got a 3/4 HP Sears motor to replace my 1/2 HP motor and it wasn't enough. Supposedly the older ones were built a little better so it was actually more powerful. A more powerful one might be worth it for peace of mind.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
A 1/2hp should be more than enough for a basic 2 car garage with insulation. That's a fairly basic door that most people have.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I had the garage door installer back to adjust the door. He lubed it and widened the runner on one side at the top, where resistance was greater the further it opened.

Its very smooth and loose-feeling now. :)

So I installed the 1/2 hp opener last night and it takes near max force to open it, but is very quiet (relatively speaking) and overall works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.