1&1 uses debt collection agencies

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
"Our declined debit note informed you of the current amount due to your customer account, and
we politely requested settlement.

Unfortunately, we have not to this date received payment and therefore will have no alternative
but to terminate our services.

Invoice ID Invoice Date Currency Amount Net Due Date Dunning Level
USA .com/.net Domain II
20060910 20060910 1 5,99
USA .com/.net Domain II
5.99 $ 01 09/10/2006 09/10/2006
Total amount due $ 5.99

In order to reactivate your account, please transfer the outstanding amount to:
Citibank, N.A.
Account No.: 54348256 (1&1 Internet Inc.)
ABA No.: 021000089

When making payment please ensure that you quote your 1&1 customer ID and your invoice ID.
Upon receipt of the outstanding balance we will reactivate your account.

If we do not receive payment by 11/21/2006, we will have no alternative but to transfer this
matter to a debt collection agency. Any additional costs incurred (agency costs, default interest, etc.)
will be added to your account to be paid in full by you.

If you have activated a domain with 1&1, we retain the right to disconnect said domain.

Sincerely,
Your 1&1 Team
www.1and1.com"

So I canceled the domain after I got this email as it was my friend's domain anyway, but now I'm worried they'll still go after me and that $6 now will save future headaches. However, this whole thing seems like extortion to me, and how the heck do I make a money transfer?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
you tried to pay for something with an expired credit card and you expected them to just say "its only 6 dollars.... lets forget about it!!" Despite the fact you've committed CC fraud, you think you're being extorted...

??:confused:??:confused:??

Hell no... they're gonna collect that money from you... even if they have to extract it from your ass...

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: sao123
you tried to pay for something with an expired credit card and you expected them to just say "its only 6 dollars.... lets forget about it!!" Despite the fact you've committed CC fraud, you think you're being extorted...

Hell no... they're gonna collect that money from you... even if they have to extract it from your ass...

QFT.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That was a form letter with boilerplate. They may or may not actually send a small amount to a collector. I doubt they will, but why risk it?

pg22

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2000
You know, my I also got a threatening letter like that. I told them it was a rookie move to treat a customer of three years like that. I paid, and bounced.

lastig21

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by: sao123

Sounds to me like an auto-renewal and not a first time registration. The credit card likely expired after the original registration, but before the renewal. OP?

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Dreamhost was actually nice to me. I couldn't pay my hosting for a while because I had to priortize my cash, they let me slide for 3 months. I :heart: Dreamhost. Of course I had to pay it, but...they let my outstanding balance go for a while until they suspended my account.

ajf3

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
The standard way for registrars to handle expired CC or one time use CC denials is to simply NOT RENEW THE DOMAIN. Not 1&1 - they renew it and then send a collection agency after you for the outstanding amount.

They sent me that letter too for a domain I regged on a 1 time CC #... emailed back saying to cancel it. They said I had to log in and do it myself via the control panel - was out of town without those credentials - since I hadn't ever logged on to their control panel & by the time I got back they said it was sent to collections. Told em to ****** off - it can sit on the report for 7 years for all I care.

It'd be like magazine companies auto renewing even though you used a 1 time CC with a low limit for their free/cheap initial subscription... and then billing you for the amount.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
This sounds scammy to me. Don't most business ask for a check.. or call or send a letter before calling a collection agency?

Also no Collections agency would take this case as they get 10 - 15% or the collected debt. Wasting 8 hour sof their time isn't worth 1 dollar.