0K COLD!! Lexmark stands a "good chance" of stopping replacement cartridges

tsee

Mar 27, 2000
The never-ending DMCA war continues with Lexmark using the DMCA to sue maker of replacement toner cartridges. A law professor says it has a good chance of succeeding

cnet story

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
whats next? major food labels will find a way to use the DMCA to start sueing generic food manufacturers for making a simliar product?

CyOp

Nov 18, 2002
What is so sad about 'this' is that the market would not allow for the 'other' product if the printer manufacturers were not ripping off consumers so bad to begin with.

I mean, c'mon, buy a printer for 99 bucks and then have to pay 35 bucks for some ink, that just seems to evaporate into thin air, anyway.

Edit... I was obviously refering to ink jets, but same thing stands.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
this is a joke! success or not tho, it wont stop people from refilling the cartridges themselves.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
yea, the ink really does evaporate. I rarely use my inkjet but have to change the ink carterages every 9 months. Laser is the way to go.

Agaricus

Aug 22, 2001
"This lawsuit is the latest of several recent DMCA cases--both civil and criminal--that have tested the limits of the 1998 copyright law, in which Congress intended to limit Internet piracy"

"Jessica Litman, a professor at Wayne State University who specializes in copyright law, said it's likely that Lexmark would not have been able to succeed in its lawsuit without the DMCA, but stands a good chance with it."

"We have long said that the DMCA's potential use as an anticompetitive tool has been great," Cohn said. "Now we're seeing it happen."

That's why I try to avoid proprietary machines. I hate it when you are limited to a single source for parts and they can charge whatever they want. Of course that allows them to give machines away free after rebate.

To quote from the song about the old dope peddler:
"He gives the kids free samples because he knows full well,
That today's young innocent victims are tomorrow's clientele."

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I just read this on Ars Technica -- demented and sad. Be sure not to buy a Dell branded printer either, since the Lexmark scum are Dell's printer manufacturer.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: jjsole
this is a joke! success or not tho, it wont stop people from refilling the cartridges themselves.
OK, I've been wary of these refill company claims.
Do they work? I mean the principle is valid...
Any particular ones to avoid?... Scam companies, better system than another?
Recommendations?

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Interesting case.

And the ruling, if it were to go to court, would be a significant precedent.

It's anyone's guess as to how this will play out, but I suspect that a court would examine the intent of the DCMA and hopefully would find that this case falls outside of the intent of the law and therefore find for the defendants.

But hell, what do I know.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting, since I just read the other day that the European Union is strongly considering banning printer manufacturers from making it impossible for competitors to make replacement cartridges.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: CyOp
What is so sad about 'this' is that the market would not allow for the 'other' product if the printer manufacturers were not ripping off consumers so bad to begin with.

I mean, c'mon, buy a printer for 99 bucks and then have to pay 35 bucks for some ink, that just seems to evaporate into thin air, anyway.

Edit... I was obviously refering to ink jets, but same thing stands.

Actually that's an exaggeration. I've seen printers for $30 or $40 after rebate sometimes. It's almost cheaper after rebate to buy a whole new printer. And since it's a new printer it will probably have better specs.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I dunno, as much as I love to refill my inkjets, you have to realize that printers are usually sold at a loss, with ink sales making up for the loss on the printer.

This way people that print more pay more. The prices are outrageous for ink, but they have to make money some way, and I print so little that I am just not willing to shell out $200+ for a printer.

Utterman

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BD2003
I dunno, as much as I love to refill my inkjets, you have to realize that printers are usually sold at a loss, with ink sales making up for the loss on the printer.

This way people that print more pay more. The prices are outrageous for ink, but they have to make money some way, and I print so little that I am just not willing to shell out $200+ for a printer.

Don't feel sorry for the printer manufacture selling a printer at a loss and losing money when you buy refillable ink. Free enterprise allows for COMPETITION. What lexmark is doing is to be able have a monopoly on all ink for their printers. Generic equipment allows for better prices and more innovation in what is made. Without competition everything will be owned by one or two companies and the consumer will be raped trying to live day-to-day.

I'm really glad I'm totally HP right now, because I have a choice of getting whatever ink I want. I also get superior quality compared to lexmark.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh dont get me wrong, I dont feel sorry for them, I am just not looking forward to paying even more for a printer.