03 Suzuki SV650 - Good deal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 24, 2001
Took the bike out for the first time today! I intended to find an empty parking lot to practice more in after the MSF course but my friend and I just rode up and down a mile or so long empty road a few times. Then I had to get gas so traffic was inevitable and we rode up the NH coast a bit, by then I felt comfortable enough to ride anywhere around here (except highway). Having to learn in the city would probably suck.

Anyway. Plenty of power but quite manageable. I was pretty smooth on the throttle all 4-5 hours today, even over bumps so that definitely helped. I'm pretty surprised how smooth my transition from MSF course on a small dirt bike to roads on a relatively powerful 650cc bike was. Helps being in New Hampshire.

Oh and the pronounced engine breaking mentioned earlier in the thread is awesome - hardly ever had to touch the brakes since I was taking it easy. Just roll off throttle and downshift to slow down.

Just as an FYI, if there are cars behind you, still tap the brakes. Give them a heads up that you are slowing down. Good way to get hit from behind.