0.0015%

wedi42

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
according to my calculations, that's the percentage of the world's population that has been lost to major catastrophes in the past week between Myanmar and China
some estimates of the total deaths in Myanmar could nearly double this to 0.003%

i think thats an amazing high number.
for reference:
your odds of hitting the powerball is: 0.00000000684425
you odd of finding this post interesting: 0.000000000000314159265

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
I suppose it's foolish to say that increased storm intensity is a product of anthropogenic climate change which means that it's your fault, SUV drivers of America! (says the proud owner of a Mini Cooper Convertible)

edit before someone mentions it: this obviously doesn't apply to earthquakes..

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
I suppose it's foolish to say that increased storm intensity is a product of anthropogenic climate change which means that it's your fault, SUV drivers of America! (says the proud owner of a Mini Cooper Convertible)

edit before someone mentions it: this obviously doesn't apply to earthquakes..

It could apply to earrthquakes...

ocean current and temp - water density etc...

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
It's Bush's fault for claiming global warming is bogus science and electing to not join the world community in doing something about it. But don't worry, we'll send aid.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Since the people arent Americans they only count as 1/3 of a person

edit: d'oh beaten to the punchline

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: johngute
according to my calculations, that's the percentage of the world's population that has been lost to major catastrophes in the past week between Myanmar and China
some estimates of the total deaths in Myanmar could nearly double this to 0.000037%

It truly is a tragedy. Most people only hear about them on the news. One person who dies is a tragedy, but tragedy on this scale is nothing more than a statistic to most people, sadly. Hopefully the government of Burma (Myanmar) will come to its senses and allow the world to help, as opposed to not allowing access and keeping the relief supplies for the army. China can most likely handle this themselves with the resources they have available. Hopefully they can have their people back on their feet soon.

you odd of finding this post interesting: 0.000000000000314159265

Be rational! :p

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Tragic as these deaths always are, the OP's percentage number is neither amazing nor unusual in the historical scheme of things.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
the op's math sucks, assuming 100k people died, thats .0014% of roughly 7 billion people

Hey, good catch!

I didn't double-check his math :eek: I was just thinking in terms of the long string of past disasters, natural and man-made, that have plagued humanity throughout history.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
Mub brick houses aren't exactly earthquake proof. If you'll notice on a geological
map of the area LINK those mountains are pushing in a semi circle around the epicenter. I guess we now know why.

I'm just hoping the price of fresh fried turtle don't go up again at Walmart in China.

Fresh turtles and frogs sold as pets in the US sold as FOOD in China Walmarts! Yummy!

Now, what isle can I get fresh fried dog leg on? :confused:

ew wtf! i just lost my appetite, i was gonna grab a bag of chips and have a late night snack... so in a way, thanks for posting that link :confused:

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Mub brick houses aren't exactly earthquake proof. If you'll notice on a geological
map of the area LINK those mountains are pushing in a semi circle around the epicenter. I guess we now know why.

I'm just hoping the price of fresh fried turtle don't go up again at Walmart in China.

Fresh turtles and frogs sold as pets in the US sold as FOOD in China Walmarts! Yummy!

....mmm turtle and frog legs yumm!

You haven't lived unless you tried turtle and brown rice served on its half shell!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

OH NO! Is the price of computer parts going to skyrocket?

I remember several years ago, when the memory chip plants in Taiwan were damaged badly and prices took a huge spike...(hmm, was it the 99 quake or the 04 typhoon? don't remember)

Foir most Americans, the only reason to care is if it impacts the prices/availabliity of the cheap crap they buy at WallyWorld...sure, "we all care when people are killed, :roll: but just don't let it cost us any money!

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
I remember several years ago, when the memory chip plants in Taiwan were damaged badly and prices took a huge spike

Are you sure it wasn`t that mysterious resin plant "fire" that no one could get pictures of.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Anybody happen to know how many people are born/die worldwide each year? When I say die I mean average number of people, not including natural disasters. What I'm wondering is how many natural disasters we'd need to have to break even and not expand our global population one year.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Edit: Opps, I should have read the thread. Dullard crawls back into his hole.

Ok, time for a reality check. I too did this calculation a week ago for Myanmar and I know for a fact that Johngute's numbers are way, way off the mark.

[*] Lets say 100,000 people died in these two events.
[*] The world's population is about 6,667,000,000.
[*] Thus: 100,000 / 6,667,000,000 * 100% = 0.0015%.

If, suppose the worst case estimates happen and 600,000 die due to causes related to these incidents. Then the percent of people who died is 600,000 / 6,667,000 * 100% = 0.009%.

Your numbers are 100-500 times too small. Vic is correct though. With the black plague killing nearly 18% of the population (almost 100 million died), these two disasters are miniscule in comparison.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
This is nothing to the people who died in the past catastrophe's in China. I guess the Chinese workmanship is coming back to haunt them.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I hate Walmart and normally jump on any bandwagon to bash them but I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Chinese people eat all kinds of things I wouldn't but in the end it's just food. They have their culture and we have ours. I don't think it's an issue unless you're talking about endangered species.