“Umbrella Man” agent provocateur unmasked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
But they have nothing else to live for! Don't you feel the least bit sorry for their pathetic lives?
I can be sympathetic, but I'm seeing a lot of perfectly good threads get hijacked by trolls and most of the posts become all about people taking major issue with their posts. The threads become crapped out. It's usually by someone I'm ignoring (I have around 1/2 dozen people on my ignore list) and I usually don't bother unignoring the content that's being taken issue with... these are people whose posts are 80+% of time time responded to with WTF.
Just pointing out your tolerance of evil and excuse for it.

See? Stuff like this.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I can be sympathetic, but I'm seeing a lot of perfectly good threads get hijacked by trolls and most of the posts become all about people taking major issue with their posts. The threads become crapped out. It's usually by someone I'm ignoring (I have around 1/2 dozen people on my ignore list) and I usually don't bother unignoring the content that's being taken issue with... these are people whose posts are 80+% of time time responded to with WTF.

The thing is I don't think most of them are trolls. I think they honestly believe the stuff they are saying. I mean there are honestly people like that. There has to be because that is why we have this current administration. You don't like their positions, but that does not make them trolls.

And anyway, if we all just agreed with each other this entire forum would have like 4 posts a day.

Reactions: pmv

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The thing is I don't think most of them are trolls. I think they honestly believe the stuff they are saying. I mean there are honestly people like that. There has to be because that is why we have this current administration. You don't like their positions, but that does not make them trolls.

And anyway, if we all just agreed with each other this entire forum would have like 4 posts a day.
I disagree it would have 5 posts a day or maybe 3. But the posts per capitas would be way down and if we mess with the capitas it’s going to get very confusing.

I don’t mind the disagreements, I kind the attempts to deny observable reality.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Yes, I don't believe that it's "trolling" and therefore I don't know that ignoring such comments serves any purpose. It's not trolling if the poster is invested in what they are saying (and just as annoyed by the other side as they are by them). I think it's understandable to call posters 'trolls' when they are so emotionally committed to their 'team' that they don't even attempt to logically address opposing arguments but just say the same thing again. But that's not trolling if it isn't coldly disinterested and calculated, it's just bias.

Of course it comes back to what is the purpose of posting here at all, anyway? Whatever reasons I have, they mean I'll sometimes respond to things that seem irrational or clearly wrong to me and sometimes I won't.