‘Good Catholic Male’ Refuses to Fill RX for Miscarriage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Since you made the first assertion do you have evidence to support it? Say survey data of doctors and pharmacists?

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2005/2005-07/2005-07-9737

In 1998, the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) developed a policy on this issue, which states: "APhA recognizes the individual pharmacist's right to exercise conscientious refusal and supports the establishment of systems to ensure patients' access to legally prescribed therapy without compromising the pharmacist's right of conscientious refusal." A recent Pharmacy Times survey, which is available at www.pharmacytimes.com/article.cfm?ID=2138, suggests that many practicing pharmacists support this position.​

Oh Lordy

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

In 1998, the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) developed a policy on this issue, which states: "APhA recognizes the individual pharmacist's right to exercise conscientious refusal and supports the establishment of systems to ensure patients' access to legally prescribed therapy without compromising the pharmacist's right of conscientious refusal." A recent Pharmacy Times survey, which is available at www.pharmacytimes.com/article.cfm?ID=2138, suggests that many practicing pharmacists support this position.​

Oh Lordy
"Many"

Holy. Shit.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I guess what Im asking is if you were out in the desert with Trump and his entourage and the President went to take a piss and was bitten by a rattlesnake. Right the head of his dick and you were the only person licensed to so suck venom out of a snakebite would you suck the venom out?

I don't know who's been trying to convince you to do stuff but licenced dick sucker isn't an actual job.

Reactions: pcgeek11
Aug 11, 2008
I knw it'll shock those here, I was once a godless liberal. But I've seen the light and now I'm a godless Trump supporter. I don't care what faith someone has, that's their right to worship and I'd never get in the way of that. But if part of someone's job is to dispense medication as prescribed, then that's what that person should do, not push their faith's rules or whatever on others.
He is not "pushing his rules on someone else", he is refusing to do something that is against his personal beliefs, whether we agree with them or not. The thing he did wrong, as others have said, is refusing to pass the prescription on to another pharmacist or to another pharmacy.

Mar 11, 2004
Yet another piece of shit. Of course you know conservatives will hold this guy up as a martyr of their persecution complex. And 100% guarantee you that they try to make it legal for shit like this to happen as they try and stack the Supreme Court.

It's not as common here, but some organizations, like Kaiser, have all of that in one building. ....it can actually be less convenient if you are a member of Kaiser, because you have to go to the one pharmacy to pick up your medications. Other HMOs or health plans or whatever, the script can be forwarded to your most convenient pharmacist.

I love Kaiser and while I like this model, it is definitely less convenient, because the largest, main clinic/campus buildings are usually just one place, and unless you live in the most populated region of your area, you will probably have to travel a bit to get there. The generics at Kaiser are way cheaper, though. IIRC, a 100 count of loratadine (Claritin), is about 15 bucks. At Target or other pharmacies with their own cheap generics, it's about $10 for a month supply (30 count)

Are prices that fucked in your area?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-24-Hour-Allergy-Relief-Loratadine-Tablets-10-mg-300-Ct/20629925

$14 for 300 at Wal-Mart.

Which, if you buy less, its a lot more expensive per pill (60 is over half the cost of the 300, and 30 is probably like $4), so maybe that's why things look so screwy.

Mar 11, 2004
I don't know who's been trying to convince you to do stuff but licenced dick sucker isn't an actual job.

:D

I thought it was in some Scandanavian country? As in they actually license sex workers (in exchange for giving them safe venues and getting medical care to prevent the spread of STIs).

Reactions: whm1974

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Oh Lordy

Interesting, although also a majority agreed that it should be passed on to another pharmacist to be filled. Thank you for actually linking to something that supported your assertion.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The link in the link doesn't go anywhere anymore.

Something more comprehensive:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2859045/

Basically religion makes people condescending aholes.

And one survey just about whether or not doctors should refer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4019379/

Religion doesnt make people condescending assholes anymore than secularism makes us humble philanthropists.

Assholes are in abundant supply in any human society.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Not going to disagree here.

That’s why I find bigotry such a waste. There’s plenty of reasons to hate someone on a personal level. No reason to stereotype.
That's almost quote worthy. The problem is that your intended audience can't tell the difference.

Reactions: greatnoob

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Conservatives and liberals have flipped. Today the liberals are the ones that want to silence those that think different, stop free speech. Today liberals are the ones that want to use law to enforce their version of morality, the left have become the thought police. Liberals today are the ones holding to outdated ideas that they want to force upon others. The real irony is that antifa and liberals aligned with them are the real fascists.
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want, to whoever you want. That's not how it works.

Nov 25, 2013
It's not as common here, but some organizations, like Kaiser, have all of that in one building. ....it can actually be less convenient if you are a member of Kaiser, because you have to go to the one pharmacy to pick up your medications. Other HMOs or health plans or whatever, the script can be forwarded to your most convenient pharmacist.

I love Kaiser and while I like this model, it is definitely less convenient, because the largest, main clinic/campus buildings are usually just one place, and unless you live in the most populated region of your area, you will probably have to travel a bit to get there. The generics at Kaiser are way cheaper, though. IIRC, a 100 count of loratadine (Claritin), is about 15 bucks. At Target or other pharmacies with their own cheap generics, it's about $10 for a month supply (30 count)

I've seen buildings where the pharmacy is, for example, next door to the office or on a different floor but never been in a doctor's office where they prescribe and sell drugs on premise. But, having said that, I have to remember that I'm in Canada, not the US, and the way our system works is very different.

Nov 25, 2013
The doctor in Anaheim I had, sold me Canadian Lamisil pills to put in my fungicide ointment to attempt to get rid of toe fungus. (He thought oral Lamisil was a plot made by the liver transplant doctors) Oh yea, toes never cured either though.

So you were sold drugs directly by your doctor in his office?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Anyone find it a bit strange that a Catholic refuse give medicine to cause a miscarriage whose bible gives instructions on a curse to cause an abortion?
Here is the verse:
God sometimes causes abortions by cursing unfaithful wives.
The priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell. And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. ...
And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people. And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed. -- Numbers 5:21-21, 27-28
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/abortion.html

Mar 11, 2004
Youd prefer the worship of evil to the worship of Christ?

Yeah, so you don't know what Satanism even is. I think its silly, but objectively faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more evil has been done in the name of Christianity than Satanism. In fact most "satanism" was just coded word for Christians to do some fucked up shit by accusing people that didn't bow down to them of it so they could torture and murder them. Which, hell even Christians can't get their version of Satan right, so obviously you're gonna be starting at a place of idiocy when it comes to the Church of Satan.

Reactions: dawp and whm1974