‘Good Catholic Male’ Refuses to Fill RX for Miscarriage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Not defending the pharmacist, but this whole thing sounds weird. So she was having a miscarriage, went to the doctor, got a prescription sent to the drugstore, then had to go pick it up herself? Couldnt they just give her the drug at the clinic, or where ever she got the treatment?
No. Its a pill. Doctors offices may have some pharmacy samples of certain meds (generally name brand meds that are "free samples" left by pharma reps) but stuff like this requires people to go to the pharmacy and pick it up.

Completely unacceptable and I hope he gets sued or reported to the state medical board. Completely unacceptable. Can you imagine a pharmacist saying "well I won't give your heart disease medications because I'm a good catholic and don't believe in gluttony which is why you are overweight"

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What doctor's offices do you know of that sell prescription drugs on premise?
The doctor in Anaheim I had, sold me Canadian Lamisil pills to put in my fungicide ointment to attempt to get rid of toe fungus. (He thought oral Lamisil was a plot made by the liver transplant doctors) Oh yea, toes never cured either though.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I would hate to get to this point for real, but it's really starting to sound like devout/fundamentalist religious whackados should be refused entry into medical and pharmaceutical training. Perhaps as a federal restriction.

I don't like this idea that they believe that their bronze-aged sociopathy authorizes them to refuse their sworn duties as medical professionals. I don't give a shit if they want to hurt themselves and the ones they love, but they have an actual duty to the public that supersedes their perceived duty to their specific version of their specific god.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What doctor's offices do you know of that sell prescription drugs on premise?

It's not as common here, but some organizations, like Kaiser, have all of that in one building. ....it can actually be less convenient if you are a member of Kaiser, because you have to go to the one pharmacy to pick up your medications. Other HMOs or health plans or whatever, the script can be forwarded to your most convenient pharmacist.

I love Kaiser and while I like this model, it is definitely less convenient, because the largest, main clinic/campus buildings are usually just one place, and unless you live in the most populated region of your area, you will probably have to travel a bit to get there. The generics at Kaiser are way cheaper, though. IIRC, a 100 count of loratadine (Claritin), is about 15 bucks. At Target or other pharmacies with their own cheap generics, it's about $10 for a month supply (30 count)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I knw it'll shock those here, I was once a godless liberal. But I've seen the light and now I'm a godless Trump supporter. I don't care what faith someone has, that's their right to worship and I'd never get in the way of that. But if part of someone's job is to dispense medication as prescribed, then that's what that person should do, not push their faith's rules or whatever on others.

Yes, because only a "true liberal" would choose to convert to conservatism when the current genre of conservatism is the most batshit, fascist-aligned version that this country has ever witnessed.

But hey, keep being godless and all that

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
This guy needs to find another job. Refusing to fill the script was his right, but refusing to allow another pharmacist to fill it was inappropriate.

Reactions: Cozarkian

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yes, because only a "true liberal" would choose to convert to conservatism when the current genre of conservatism is the most batshit, fascist-aligned version that this country has ever witnessed.

But hey, keep being godless and all that

Conservatives and liberals have flipped. Today the liberals are the ones that want to silence those that think different, stop free speech. Today liberals are the ones that want to use law to enforce their version of morality, the left have become the thought police. Liberals today are the ones holding to outdated ideas that they want to force upon others. The real irony is that antifa and liberals aligned with them are the real fascists.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This guy needs to find another job. Refusing to fill the script was his right, but refusing to allow another pharmacist to fill it was inappropriate.
Refusing to fill shouldn't be his right either. Hopefully Miejer gets their ass sued so these "religious freedom" policies go away. Fill the RX or quit, those should be your only options.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
https://jezebel.com/a-pharmacist-refuses-to-give-medication-to-woman-having-1829823159

Peterson was requesting misoprostol, used to induce labor, to finish a miscarriage after finding out her fetus had died. Before she could get to the store she received a call from the pharmacist, telling her he was a “a good Catholic male” who objected to giving her the medication because “it’s used for abortions” (misoprostol is one of the medications used in the “abortion pill,” the other is mifepristone.) After Peterson explained that the fetus was not viable anymore, he didn’t believe her, and refused to transfer the prescription to a different pharmacy. Thankfully The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan sent a letter to Meijer arguing that the pharmacist’s refusal actually violated public accommodation laws.

Just try to imagine losing a wanted pregnancy and some asshole at the pharmacy accuses you of killing your baby and then withholds the medicine and the prescription leaving you with a dead fetus in you and no medical way to proceed.

I’m not a violent guy and would never start a fight but I would be sorely tempted to take this prick out back and wipe the self-righteousness from his face.

And on a rare occasion I agree 100%.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

I would think most would agree with this. He should not be forced to fill a script but if a doc wrote it (ie it’s not fraudulent to buy opioids or something) then he should be required to hand it off to another pharmacist on duty there or call it in to a different local pharmacy in that order.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Refusing to fill shouldn't be his right either. Hopefully Miejer gets their ass sued so these "religious freedom" policies go away. Fill the RX or quit, those should be your only options.

I disagree with this and I’d think you’ll find most in the medical field would as well.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I disagree with this and I’d think you’ll find most in the medical field would as well.
Considering hospitals can't pick and choose who they treat why should a pharmacist? What if he was the only pharmacist in town? What if he was a JW and refused to fill antirejection medication for a transplant patient?

Plus, if he is going to hide behind his religion, he better not have ever sold birth control pills or boner pills. Otherwise he is completely full of shit.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Considering hospitals can't pick and choose who they treat why should a pharmacist? What if he was the only pharmacist in town? What if he was a JW and refused to fill antirejection medication for a transplant patient?

Plus, if he is going to hide behind his religion, he better not have ever sold birth control pills or boner pills. Otherwise he is completely full of shit.

Doctors can certainly pick and choose the method of treatment or whether they do abortions or not etc. If someone comes in for pain and the doc doesn’t feel comfortable writing a script for them guess what, they are well with in their rights not to.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The medical community feels they should be forced to do things that they feel is unethical or immoral? Really?
You believe that you know what "the medical community" believes about particular types of medical care? Really?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
You believe that you know what "the medical community" believes about particular types of medical care? Really?

No, about whether they feel someone should be forced to administer care that they fell is unethical or immoral. Which is what you told me I was wrong about.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
No, about whether they feel someone should be forced to administer care that they fell is unethical or immoral. Which is what you told me I was wrong about.

Since you made the first assertion do you have evidence to support it? Say survey data of doctors and pharmacists?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
You mean like performing CPR on someone who has been dead for an hour, or keeping someone on life support who is brain dead?

Oh, right, you actually believe that most of the "medical field" believes what you believe about providing safe, non-addictive medication to people seeking safe, non-addictive medication.

Hilarious.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
You mean like performing CPR on someone who has been dead for an hour, or keeping someone on life support who is brain dead?

Oh, right, you actually believe that most of the "medical field" believes what you believe about providing safe, non-addictive medication to people seeking safe, non-addictive medication.

Hilarious.

:confused: