‘God, I don’t want to die,’ U.S. missionary wrote before he was killed by remote tribe on Indian island

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

"I hollered, 'My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you,'" he wrote. Shortly after, a young member of the tribe shot at him, according to his account.

Landing on an island that's home to an isolated people who don't speak your language and then yelling "Jesus loves you!" gets you shot by arrows? That's a big 10-DUH, good buddy! Imagine how he would have responded if aliens from outer space landed in his yard and did the same thing to him in their language.

He'd be on his knees, pissin' his pants an' prayin' to Jeebus to save him. Or shooting him, being America and all.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Meh, Ulster Unionists are like American evangelicals on bath salts.

Though Christians in the UK, even including the orange ones (not in the Trump sense of orange), tend to be significantly to the left of the American Evangelicals on economic issues.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My thought was "..it's Monday?"

Heh. In jest of course, I actually have a lot of respect for Amish. They are one of the few religious sects that "walk the talk" IMO, and I've long admired their mastery of carpentry and skill with horses.

Amish are kind of messed-up though, as their communities tend to dispense their own laws, they live in an extremely patriarchal society that trades daughters for property and rape isn't so much tolerated as it is expected as a normal part of young Amish male development. It's basically what Mike Pence would institute in the whole of the US if he were in charge.

They escape real justice with ease because local sheriffs just let them do their thing. As long as the butter keeps coming, right?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It is much safer for all involved to just leave the body where it is at.

well his corpse would still be shedding deadly viruses, most likely, so if they wait a year or so, there's a good chance much of the remaining tribe would be decimated and pacified enough to retrieve his saintly bones and give them a proper Christian burial.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
well his corpse would still be shedding deadly viruses, most likely, so if they wait a year or so, there's a good chance much of the remaining tribe would be decimated and pacified enough to retrieve his saintly bones and give them a proper Christian burial.

I don't think viruses last too long in dead bodies.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Because I have so little pity to give to this ignorant man, I will ask this question instead: Looking at all the pictures of Chau on the previous page... why does no one ever alternate the hand which holds their phone when they take a selfie?

Seriously, don't you get tired of always being in the right corner of your pictures?

Nov 8, 2012
Nothing more hilarious than the religious concept of a deity that is all powerful all knowing and all capable... but he can't get his message out on his own. He needs us people to spread his fairy tales word.... Also, he needs money. Money is hard to come by for a god.

Reactions: Thebobo

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Amish are kind of messed-up though, as their communities tend to dispense their own laws, they live in an extremely patriarchal society that trades daughters for property and rape isn't so much tolerated as it is expected as a normal part of young Amish male development. It's basically what Mike Pence would institute in the whole of the US if he were in charge.

They escape real justice with ease because local sheriffs just let them do their thing. As long as the butter keeps coming, right?

No that's all true. But you won't find me defending their religious views or the "keep women dumb, barefoot and silent" lifestyle at all though. In fact my advice to the teens I've met on rumschpringe has all been the same thing: "Run!"

Poor Mike Pence. His boss is on the grill and festive people keep singing about gay apparel.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Heh, the International Christian Concern does not fail to amuse:

“We here at International Christian Concern are extremely concerned by the reports of an American missionary being murdered in India’s Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to both John’s family and friends. A full investigation must be launched in this this murder and those responsible must be brought to justice.”

https://www.persecution.org/2018/11/20/american-missionary-reportedly-murdered-hostile-tribe-india/

So persecuted.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't think viruses last too long in dead bodies.

Depends on the individual virus, but you are largely correct. Point is, they killed the dude and handled his corpse rather intimately to some degree, perhaps even burying it. I also wonder if they processed it in some way? I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they burned it at a safe distance, having sustaining their tribe for millenia, I'm sure they understand how to sanitize dead bodies and not leave them around for very long.

But it would only take the few that handled his corpse soon after death, especially if fluids were involved, to infect those tribesman and later spread it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Heh, the International Christian Concern does not fail to amuse:

“We here at International Christian Concern are extremely concerned by the reports of an American missionary being murdered in India’s Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to both John’s family and friends. A full investigation must be launched in this this murder and those responsible must be brought to justice.”

https://www.persecution.org/2018/11/20/american-missionary-reportedly-murdered-hostile-tribe-india/

So persecuted.
By the Tribes laws(if we can call then that) he was an invader that trespassed their territory. He also violated Indian laws and maybe International laws as well.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
rape isn't so much tolerated as it is expected as a normal part of young Amish male development. It's basically what Mike Pence would institute in the whole of the US if he were in charge.

LOL. I agree that the Amish may be messed up, but the statement about Pence is just so silly.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
they forgot the honey badger, which is everything the american badger is and more.

No, but I think you missed that Africa isn't involved in this comparison. I'd say it's hard to win a mustelidae pissing contest with North America, we've got wolverines. You ever see a 200lb caribou get taken out by a 40lb wolverine, or a 500lb bear try to argue with one? It's not pretty. Only the hyena has a stronger bite IIRC, they don't stop at bones. Their power and endurance is just unreal too, I remember hearing how one tagged male up in Glacier went up and over Mt. Cleveland in like 45 min. In the middle winter.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
No, but I think you missed that Africa isn't involved in this comparison. I'd say it's hard to win a mustelidae pissing contest with North America, we've got wolverines. You ever see a 200lb caribou try to fend off a 40lb wolverine, or a 500lb bear try to argue with one? It's not pretty. Only the hyena has a stronger bite IIRC.
A small 40lb animal can all of that that, a bear?

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
A small 40lb animal can all of that that, a bear?

Wolverines are badasses, but I think a honey badger would destroy a wolverine in a fight. Lions are much more aggressive than bears and honey badgers have been known to kill lions.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No, but I think you missed that Africa isn't involved in this comparison. I'd say it's hard to win a mustelidae pissing contest with North America, we've got wolverines. You ever see a 200lb caribou get taken out by a 40lb wolverine, or a 500lb bear try to argue with one? It's not pretty. Only the hyena has a stronger bite IIRC, they don't stop at bones. Their power and endurance is just unreal too, I remember hearing how one tagged male up in Glacier went up and over Mt. Cleveland in like 45 min. In the middle winter.
We have wolverines in Europe as well!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Wolverines are badasses, but I think a honey badger would destroy a wolverine in a fight. Lions are much more aggressive than bears and honey badgers have been known to kill lions.
I'm not sure either would be able to kill the other. They both have thick skins, are insanely aggressive and have ridiculous levels of stamina. The Wolverine has bulk and bigger teeth and claws on his side, the honey badger has very thick skin, and is probably more aggressive and has more stamina.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
For that group that wants those tribesmen brought to justice, who actually has any jurisdiction in this case?