µTorrent 1.5 Stable just released

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
converted from bittornado. wow, what a difference! uses MUCH less memory and has all these cool features built into it!

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
converted from bittornado. wow, what a difference! uses MUCH less memory and has all these cool features built into it!

wtf?? less memory? Utorrent uses <4mb.. If that's to muck I suggest upgrading your PC. :)

elkinm

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
Is it any faster then 1.4. Is that even possible.
What does it encrypt, the data stream?

saahmed

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
has anybody else been having problems with this lately? I havent upgraded yet, but the availability on everything I am trying to download seems to be really low though they have tons of seeds. I am not too familiar with how it actually works but I would think if there are a lot of seeds the availability would be good?

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: IamDavid

wtf?? less memory? Utorrent uses <4mb.. If that's to muck I suggest upgrading your PC. :)

haha, bittornado would use around 20K of memory when downloading, and utorrent hardly uses any (less than 10K). plus it has a graphical UI and it has a LOT more features and to me, it seems faster than bittornado.

PseudoKnight

Oct 18, 2004
has anybody else been having problems with this lately? I havent upgraded yet, but the availability on everything I am trying to download seems to be really low though they have tons of seeds. I am not too familiar with how it actually works but I would think if there are a lot of seeds the availability would be good?
Is your light green on utorrent?

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: IamDavid

Uh, I think you misread his post. He converted FROM bittornado, and agrees that uTorrent uses MUCH less memory..

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I might have to give this a try as an alternative to azureus. Azureus is great and all, but being a java app it's a bit of a resource hog.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The downside to using such little memory footprint is that it causes a lot more disk thrashing. Sure AZ and bitcomet are hogs on the memory but they cache more of the downloads and uploads so less blinky blinky on the hard disk.

I like uTorrent but I wish it allowed more caching so it wouldn't hog hard drive resources which can be as bad or worse as a large memory footprint.