¤dead

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
This is one of the worst brand PSU's you can buy I can't count how many Deer / L&C power supplies I've had fail on me, spend a bit more and get a quality Fortron/FSP group PSU or some other good name brand.

thermostat

Feb 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Arcanedeath
This is one of the worst brand PSU's you can buy I can't count how many Deer / L&C power supplies I've had fail on me, spend a bit more and get a quality Fortron/FSP group PSU or some other good name brand.

I totally agree. I had one fail that took out everything and I mean everything, motherboard, memory, cards, drives etc.

neildoug

May 27, 2004
Yes, a Deer brand PSU can smoke up a room faster than the Marlboro man. I cannot say enough bad things about them.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: thermostat

I totally agree. I had one fail that took out everything and I mean everything, motherboard, memory, cards, drives etc.

Hell yeah, I had one die on a comp and FRY my old Abit mobo and Celeron 300A @ 450MHz... that was a mistake for me to use that POS. Good thing that system wasn't my main one anymore when it happened.... :p

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Every deer PWS i have ever had has died, and taken at least one other component with it.

I have only had 3, so, as always, your YMMV

Buzzman151

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman
Every deer PWS i have ever had has died, and taken at least one other component with it.

holy crap it only takes out one component each time one PSU dies!??!??!!!

BEST... DEAL....EVAR

:D

gotensan01

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I didn't read the AMD article on approved PSU's but I wonder why they would approve such a bad PSU?

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
This is one of the worst brand PSU's you can buy I can't count how many Deer / L&amp;C power supplies I've had fail on me, spend a bit more and get a quality Fortron/FSP group PSU or some other good name brand.

cost me a mobo

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
i worked for a local computer company and ended up with a nice settlement with L&amp;C because 40% of our computers were coming back within the year because of bad power supplies. turned out that 99% of them had one bad capacitor that kept blowing.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: neildoug
Yes, a Deer brand PSU can smoke up a room faster than the Marlboro man. I cannot say enough bad things about them.

LOL. Perfect description. :)

Yes, I've had one fail on me too. Thankfully it didn't take out my mobo. Boy did that cap inside look nasty afterwards though. How can they still sell these things on the market?

Edit: If I'm going to thread-crap, I might as well give a solid technical reason to do so. From the description at DealSonic: "350W Total Power On +3.3V &amp; +5V is 145W Max"

IIRC, a PSU has to support something like 185W on the combined +5V and +3.3V lines to be "AMD approved". Notice also that it claims to only be "AMD compatible". So definately, not a wise choice if you value the rest of your computer components. The review link given by the OP is also to a 350W L&amp;C/Deer model, but a different model. If you look closely, the "combined power" of the PSU in the review is 190W.

imported_Daxx

Oct 17, 2004
Yep, I just bought an off brand 480W power supply recently for $19, and let me tell you, that power supply got smoking hot in my case and within three days, it blew the main fuse. We tried replacing the fuse at work, but it just blew up again. Weight will tell you a LOT when it comes to power supplies. The 480W supply was MUCH lighter than the 350W supply I removed from the case. We opened it up and the 480W components were pathetically wimpy. It has since hit the trash can - I think the fan inside was the only component worth keeping.

After this experience, I spent a fair amount of money on a highly rated power supply, and in the same system, hooked to the same componets, the new power supply doens't even get warm. Overclocking is going MUCH better on both my CPU and the video card with a good power supply.

Spend the extra money on a power supply. It's worth it.

modedepe

Diamond Member
May 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Evadman

Took you 3 times to quit using them? I think I would have stopped after the first one died and took something with it :p

modedepe

Diamond Member
May 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Daxx
Yep, I just bought an off brand 480W power supply recently for $19, and let me tell you, that power supply got smoking hot in my case and within three days, it blew the main fuse. We tried replacing the fuse at work, but it just blew up again. Weight will tell you a LOT when it comes to power supplies. The 480W supply was MUCH lighter than the 350W supply I removed from the case. We opened it up and the 480W components were pathetically wimpy. It has since hit the trash can - I think the fan inside was the only component worth keeping.

After this experience, I spent a fair amount of money on a highly rated power supply, and in the same system, hooked to the same componets, the new power supply doens't even get warm. Overclocking is going MUCH better on both my CPU and the video card with a good power supply.

Spend the extra money on a power supply. It's worth it.

Words of wisdom. Too many people try to get away with a cheap psu, but it'll only cost you in the long run.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Hey, I am not one to thread crap, honest, but all I had to do was read Deer and then wince. They have a very, very bad reputation.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnDoh
L&amp;C/Deer 350w P4 AMD at dealsonic

AMD approved list of manufacturers

PSU review here

I build systems as a hobby/side income for alot of people need real basic setups. This psu caught my eye in my constant strugle to find cheap/good psu's.

I happened to buy some other stuff there so shipping was good deal, dont know what it is for just this single product. Normaly I buy codegen psu's for about $20 shipped (search pricewatch)

I just want to say, don't be discouraged from our responses to your Hot Deals post as you are a Junior Member

It is a good find in terms of cost, but as other members pointed out, the value is lacking

Keep the faith :thumbsup: :)

oupei

Jun 16, 2003
wait for a sale at directron. I got a 450watt superflower for $14 plus shipping