“Supercommittee” Should Develop Balanced Package of Tax Increases and Spending Cuts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
LOL Your the one who said "Ill use a nice liberal source for you..."

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

You posted articles without reading them, and thought you made a point. Anyone who actually read the article would know that it actually backed up my point.

You seriously should get out of political debate.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You really arent this obtuse, are you? Your article even admits they pay no federal income tax.

On a side-note, it is funny how they bash Fox and not NPR, who report the same thing.

It's funny how you would quote NPR when your party was on a Jihad to unfund it LMAO.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
I agree. We need to get the bottom 1/3 of the US paying federal taxes ASAP.

With what money? The problem is that there aren't enough good jobs to enable the bottom 3rd to pay taxes.

Tell the job creators to create some jobs* and the bottom 3rd will start paying taxes and use less social programs.

*in the United States, not China.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
With what money? The problem is that there aren't enough good jobs to enable the bottom 3rd to pay taxes.

Tell the job creators to create some jobs* and the bottom 3rd will start paying taxes and use less social programs.

*in the United States, not China.

He seems to believe the bottom third in Society are loaded :eek:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I will be in favor of taxes increases when I see real spending cuts out of washington. When I say real I mean total spending goes down for a year. And when washington takes getting rid of waste seriously. There are billions and billions wasted on duplication of services.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...-coburn-says-report-makes-congress-look-like/

This, except the "real" needs to be REAL, not some temp one year accounting trick. I'd be ok with a 5 year REAL freeze on spending too. Anything "emergency" would have to fit a tight criteria and voted on specifically - no add ons.
AFTER that, I'm fine with raising taxes a bit on EVERYONE if it the outlook for the deficit doesn't look better.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
This, except the "real" needs to be REAL, not some temp one year accounting trick. I'd be ok with a 5 year REAL freeze on spending too. Anything "emergency" would have to fit a tight criteria and voted on specifically - no add ons.
AFTER that, I'm fine with raising taxes a bit on EVERYONE if it the outlook for the deficit doesn't look better.

No. We don't raise taxes on everyone. Poor/middle class people are struggling ENOUGH as it is to make ends meet, they don't need to be paying anymore in taxes.

We need to roll back the irresponsible Bush tax cuts on the wealthy, close corporate loopholes, and force the uber-uber-uber rich to start giving back to the country that made them rich in the first place. If there is anyone that should be contributing to keep this country afloat, it's the people that can afford to without any changes to their current lifestyle.

It's sickening how stupid conservatives can be. Sticking up for the elite rich that doesn't give a rats ass about them and continually pursues policies that widen the gap between rich and poor. If you think having a weak or nonexistent middle class is what's going to bring this country back on top you're in for quite a surprise.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Same ole' BS. We were taxed at 70% and up till the 1970's and we still spent more than we took in. Spending is up 20% since 2008 and the problem is the tax rate on the rich?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
No. We don't raise taxes on everyone. Poor/middle class people are struggling ENOUGH as it is to make ends meet, they don't need to be paying anymore in taxes.

We need to roll back the irresponsible Bush tax cuts on the wealthy, close corporate loopholes, and force the uber-uber-uber rich to start giving back to the country that made them rich in the first place. If there is anyone that should be contributing to keep this country afloat, it's the people that can afford to without any changes to their current lifestyle.

It's sickening how stupid conservatives can be. Sticking up for the elite rich that doesn't give a rats ass about them and continually pursues policies that widen the gap between rich and poor. If you think having a weak or nonexistent middle class is what's going to bring this country back on top you're in for quite a surprise.

same old worn out liberal tripe. The "Bush Tax cuts" were for EVERYONE who pays federal income taxes. So IF taxes need to be raised, then everyone needs to be a part of it, not just the people you leftists love to hate.

So if people are struggling enough then we need to cut Federal spending, no?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
That won't amount to much if they don't make squat for income.

We can accomplish more by simply eliminating the effective negative tax liability for those receiving the Earned Income Tax Credit. No one should pay a tax rate less than zero and effectively get money from the Treasury via the tax code. I'd consider tax hikes for the rich in trade for taking away this de facto welfare.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
We can accomplish more by simply eliminating the effective negative tax liability for those receiving the Earned Income Tax Credit. No one should pay a tax rate less than zero and effectively get money from the Treasury via the tax code. I'd consider tax hikes for the rich in trade for taking away this de facto welfare.

What about home interest deduction? Wanna get rid of that too?