‘Destroy the idols,’ Egyptian jihadist calls for removal of Sphinx, Pyramids

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The effort to destroy historical monuments is one that no one should ever support. The folks behind it need to be squashed by Egyptians lest the world lose another piece of itself to the depths of human madness.

I can predict some typical responses, that the jihadist will be downplayed, his comments "not important" or "representative" of others. Okay, but he did it before in Afghanistan quite successfully with the Buddha statues.

I also appreciate that he has Egyptian opponents who understand the non-religious nature of the monuments. Problem is, will they prevail? Hopefully Egyptians are more protective of their history and do not lose themselves the way Afghans did.

How long til Egypt needs an "Operation Enduring Freedom"?
*shudder*

‘Destroy the idols,’ Egyptian jihadist calls for removal of Sphinx, Pyramids
An Egyptian jihad leader, with self-professed links to the Taliban, called for the “destruction of the Sphinx and the Giza Pyramids in Egypt,” drawing ties between the Egyptian relics and Buddha statues, local media reported this week.

Murgan Salem al-Gohary, an Islamist leader twice-sentenced under former President Hosni Mubarak for advocating violence, called on Muslims to remove such “idols.”

“All Muslims are charged with applying the teachings of Islam to remove such idols, as we did in Afghanistan when we destroyed the Buddha statues,” he said on Saturday during a television interview on an Egyptian private channel, widely watched by Egyptian and Arab audiences.

“God ordered Prophet Mohammed to destroy idols,” he added. “When I was with the Taliban we destroyed the statue of Buddha, something the government failed to do.”

His comments came a day after thousands of ultraconservative Islamists gathered in Tahrir Square to call for the strict application of Sharia law in the new constitution.

But in retaliation to Gohary’s remarks, the vice president of Tunisia’s Ennahda party, Sheikh Abdel Fattah Moro, called the live program and told Gohary that famous historic military commander Amr ibn al-Aas did not destroy statues when he conquered Egypt.

“So who are you to do it?” he wondered. “The Prophet destroyed the idols because people worshiped them, but the Sphinx and the Pyramids are not worshiped.”

Gohary, 50, is well-known in Egypt for his advocacy of violence, Egypt Independent reported.

“He was sentenced twice, one of the two sentences being life imprisonment. He subsequently fled Egypt to Afghanistan, where he was badly injured in the American invasion. In 2007, he traveled from Pakistan to Syria, which then handed him over to Egypt. After Mubarak's fall in early 2011, he was released from prison by a judicial ruling,” the newspaper added.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Let them destroy the Pyramids.. the creators will return and obliterate them!! good ridden...

image.png

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
As opposed to the U.S. where Christians want to put their idols in schools and government buildings.

ZING!

Apr 27, 2012
This is just the starting of the dangers of radical Islam, it will only get worse and you will have people on here calling you a racist for this

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
As opposed to the U.S. where Christians want to put their idols in schools and government buildings.

ZING!

Sarcasm I get, but you know this isn't the same. Place a small neutron bomb in the area for security.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
The pyramids are the only reason people go to Egypt. I don't see their government letting that one slide...

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

ZING!

There was once a man who hated snakes and wanted to rid the world of them so one day he happened to come across a snake and scorpion feuding, and without thinking due to his hatred of snakes he joined in, attacked the snake causing it to flee.

While he stood there gloating he felt a sharp pain in his backside, as he turned around he realized it was the scorpion, which then stung him several more times.

As he lay there dying he said to the scorpion "did I just not help you against the snake, why did you sting me?"

The scorpion then replied, " what did you expect?, after all I am a scorpion "

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
No joke, if Egyptians attempted to go destroy the pyramids and sphinx I would fully support using special forces, drones, and if required, later on, a full scale invasion to stop them from doing so.

Fuck sovereignty in a situation like that, those are thousands of years old and crucial historical pieces of human civilization. I'd rather see every living soul in Egypt die than those structures fall.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
No joke, if Egyptians attempted to go destroy the pyramids and sphinx I would fully support using special forces, drones, and if required, later on, a full scale invasion to stop them from doing so.

Fuck sovereignty in a situation like that, those are thousands of years old and crucial historical pieces of human civilization. I'd rather see every living soul in Egypt die than those structures fall.

i agree on the importance of the structures - not the mass murdering part though

they won't do it. take away the sphinx, luxor, pyramids and egypt will fall. no one will go there and no one will care

Apr 27, 2012
So are the people that supported the arab spring going to admit they were wrong, look how much extremism we have now

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The stupid is strong in this thread. The guy is a fringe element who only managed to get a few thousand people out for a demonstration.

I can find a few thousand people in the US who want a Cross in every Courtroom and School House.

Oh, and wtf is wrong with people just casually mentioning we should invade Egypt? Its a country of nearly 85 million people and would make Iraq look like a walk in the park.

The Arab Spring may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to the middle east. Any American without faith in Democracy should leave this country immediately.

kache

Nov 10, 2012

Same.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Faith in democracy, lol.

Democracy only works if the majority of the people in the democracy aren't uniformed idiots, and guess what? They are. Which country am I talking about? Most of them. Certainly Egypt.

It also only works if moneyed interests haven't completely subverted the will of the people through buying off politicians, or if there are actually good options for people to vote for, rather than just choosing between one corporatist sell-out or another.

Apr 27, 2012
The stupid is strong in this thread. The guy is a fringe element who only managed to get a few thousand people out for a demonstration.

I can find a few thousand people in the US who want a Cross in every Courtroom and School House.

Oh, and wtf is wrong with people just casually mentioning we should invade Egypt? Its a country of nearly 85 million people and would make Iraq look like a walk in the park.

The Arab Spring may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to the middle east. Any American without faith in Democracy should leave this country immediately.

They have less freedom than before, look at Lybia where the `rebels` fighting were the same ones killing Americans in Iraq, say what you want about Ghadaffi and Mubarak they were dictators but nowhere near as bad as the islamic radicals