Which GeForce 3 in Alienware?

garak

Mar 7, 2001
I was wondering which brand of GeForce 3 (and GeForce 2 Ultra) cards Alienware uses in their systems?

jamison

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2001
It better be a more expensive one than Visiontek since they are so overpriced...

Alienware really rips you off, lol. :D

billyjak

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is no differance in GF3 benchmarks, Only difference is TV out and companies are squeezing a small profit just to stay alive right now.
I'm not surprised they would go with Visiontek, it's a great card, looks sweet in my system.
Better to build your own and save a few bucks.

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
It better be a more expensive one than Visiontek since they are so overpriced...

How do you figure? Just because VisionTek isn't as popular as companies like Elsa and Hercules doesn't mean they make a crappier product. All Geforce3 cards use the same GPU, they're all clocked the same, and are all based on the same reference design, so you won't find much difference in performance. Show me a benchmark where the the VisionTek gets spanked by another Geforce3 and I'll reconsider the validity of your statement.

Alienware really rips you off, lol.

This is true.

garak,

The last time I read a review of a high end Alienware system they used the Leadtek Geforce3 - not the VisionTek. I know they used the Creative Labs Geforce2 Ultra before, but I'm not sure about now since Creative isn't in the video card market anymore and I haven't seen an Annihilator2 Ultra in a while.

jamison

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2001
Sorry you misunderstood me. I was trying to say - that the Visiontek is the cheapest GeForce3 available, since it is the reference design. I own a Visiontek myself, and love it. But there is no doubt about it that Hercules and some others charge much more than Visiontek.

So in other words, since Alienware is so overpriced, they better be offering a more expensive version of the GeForce3, that has more outputs etc.

Otherwise they are just ripping people off more and more, by getting the cheapest OEM products, but charging to high end retail parts. :D

Sorry for misunderstanding, however my point was not all that important.

SpeedTrap

Banned
Apr 2, 2001
Elsa is the same card withthe added giants thats the only way they can really expect you to pay more

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
jamison,

Sorry I misunderstood you. You're right about Alienware being a ripoff though. Sometimes I really wonder how they stay in business since they don't advertise to the general public and the only people that know about them are enthusiasts like us who are smart enough to save our money and build our own systems.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
Just out of curiosity, did you inquire Alienware about this? This sounds like something they wouldn't mind telling you.

garak

Mar 7, 2001
Well, I figured I would get a faster reply on AnandTech ;). I build all my own systems, but my neighbor wants to get his son a new system for his birthday. He wanted Dell, but I figure an Athlon system would be better in this situation. Any suggestions other than Alienware, then?

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Try Falcon Northwest. Their systems are cheaper than Alienware's and in many cases outperform them.