Trump NY indictment thread

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I think procedures for bringing jailed suspects to court for their trials are pretty well established. There would be no reason to defer a contempt sentence.

I think the jailed martyr thing sounds much better in concept than it would be in practice for Trump.

Not disputing that it's possible. Just going with the experts that I've seen state the deferral would be the judge's way of threatening an extended consecutive stay while not necessarily giving Trump what he so obviously wants in an attempt to possibly curtail that behavior for the rest of the trial.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
If Trump were to be jailed during the trial, would it continue without him, or be on hold until he's out?

Source of question: profound ignorance of legal proceedings

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think the jailed martyr thing sounds much better in concept than it would be in practice for Trump.
He would hate it so much! I say if he wants to be a martyr then we let him! Just don't make it a performative thing, a week with no access to social media would be lovely!

Tbh he's not giving the Judge a lot of freedom to not jail him. He seems oblivious to the "look we really don't want to jail you but..." hints.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
If Trump were to be jailed during the trial, would it continue without him, or be on hold until he's out?

Source of question: profound ignorance of legal proceedings
He’s required to be present. He’d just be shuffled back and forth as necessary

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
or leave him in jail and do telepresence
That's essentially what they did for some of the Chicago 7 that were disruptive in their trial (back in 1969 or 70). I'm sure there are established procedures for this, especially in the post-covid era.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
That's essentially what they did for some of the Chicago 7 that were disruptive in their trial (back in 1969 or 70). I'm sure there are established procedures for this, especially in the post-covid era.

It would take quite a lot to have them do the virtual option. Not having the defendant there can prejudice the jury in some cases. Wouldn't want that to be grounds for appeal.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Trump is a dumb snowflake with no filter. Let's not pretend he's playing campaign 4D chess by courting a complimentary 3 night stay in prison. He's certainly not of the mindset of willingly paying consequences for his own actions.

Reactions: feralkid