Stuck joint

xiomegany

Feb 28, 2024
I have an old galvanized pipe attached to my heating system. I was able to take off the leaky pipe, but it ruined the threads on the elbow. I can't seem to get that elbow joint off. I tried pipe blaster and heat gun. Any ideas?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Longer pipe wrench for more leverage?

Torch instead of heat gun for more heat?

Worst case, cut off the elbow and cut new threads on the pipe end you cut off?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
some times you can use a grinder/Dremel/hacksaw to cut into the joint in a couple spots to weaken it and then spin it off / crack it at the cuts. just be careful not to cut into the pipe threads.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Old steel pipe can turn into a nightmare once you start messing with it. I've seen functioning water systems so corroded that the internal size of the pipe was about a quarter inch. Trying to thread it just crushed the pipe. The only real advice I can offer is to be very careful with it.

Reactions: pcgeek11

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Ha! First thing I thought of with a topic of "Stuck joint" -- it must have been rolled too tightly. You know -- them Oklahoma boys roll their joints all wrong -- they're way to skinny and they're far too long -- I ain't a holy roller and I use a bong -- them Oklahoma boys roll their joints all wrong.

But -- no. The OP is talking about steel pipe joints.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry