Smart Thermostat for Ancient Wall Furnace

suckerformimi

Dec 27, 2023
I have an old 2-wire furnace. How do I connect a smart thermostat to it? The furnace only supports 2 wires and takes no power. It has a pilot light and presumably a pilot generator. So I think I need a solution that gets the power from something other than the furnace.

Thanks for any help here. I have been searching all over.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
iThe ecobee comes with a transformer. you may want to give them a call just to make sure it will work though. I am not sure if there is a minimum control voltage that it would need to pass in the transistor? i have installed them on 2 wire systems, but not one powered just with a millivolt generator.

Feb 4, 2009
As above ecobee seems to fit nearly everything and at least as of four years ago their support & sales support is first class.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You should be able to hook up any newer thermostat, you'll just need a separate transformer that will provide your "C" wire since your furnace may not easily provide it (although likely does if you pull it open).

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
sounds like its old school with a millivolt generator. no transformer or control voltage needed.
You should be able to hook up any newer thermostat, you'll just need a separate transformer that will provide your "C" wire since your furnace may not easily provide it (although likely does if you pull it open).

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Check how many wires are actually in the wall. If you're lucky they ran 4-wire instead of 2-wire. You might be able to use a transformer to provide the C wire at the furnace end and use a normal thermostat, which will look nicer than having to run a power cord from the thermostat.