Question Replacement PSU for 4070 Super and 7800X3DX

Ratnes

Jan 20, 2024
Hi!

I recently upgraded my PC (https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/T9MmWt), but the PSU I bought (Corsair RM850e) is horrible. It has an incredibly loud coil whine, and a very annoying fan bearing as well. I would like to replace it, but I'm not sure what should I get, after burning myself with the previous one.

Any recommendations? My budget for it is around €150-€200. This is not my first PSU in the last 15 years that has noise issues, so at this point my main concern for the new PSU to be quiet, so preferably no coil whine and no loud fans.

How important is the ATX 3.0 compatibility? I'm not planning to upgrade any time soon after this.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of someone complaining about their PSU having coil whine. I've had great experiences with Corsair although I did have 1 650W RMx unit that was DOA. The replacement has been flawless for 2 years. I think I would just replace the unit you have with the same model or maybe the RMx version. Otherwise, seasonic, EVGA, or super flower would be the place to look.

Reactions: Pohemi

Ratnes

Jan 20, 2024
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of someone complaining about their PSU having coil whine. I've had great experiences with Corsair although I did have 1 650W RMx unit that was DOA. The replacement has been flawless for 2 years. I think I would just replace the unit you have with the same model or maybe the RMx version. Otherwise, seasonic, EVGA, or super flower would be the place to look.
Some posts about the issuel:

And videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXjRcW8wts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpVrbHMGQ6Y

I never had coil whine either before this one, people said that it's about worse quality transistors.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I had a similar experience with an FSP Hydro 850. I bought it based on reviews by some very qualified people but the fan would run even during low load and when the fan spun it created an annoying noise. So I replaced it with the RM850x and never looked back. I just think you got a dud. It happens.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Corsair and Seasonic are the only two brands of PSU I've used in at least a dozen years (on my own and other builds I've done). I've always gone for the gold certifications, and never had a bad one, thankfully.

I'm currently running an RM750e without any issues. No whine, and the fan isn't audible. If the PSU fan needs to spin up, the case fans have already done so and I never hear the PSU fan over it. At idle, it's silent.

As others have said, it sounds like you just got a faulty unit. I can understand wanting to go with a different model or brand though after a bad experience with one. Unless something changed, I believe most or all of the Corsair models are made for them by other manufacturers.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've personally never had a problem with Corsair PSUs, but it sounds like coil whine and loud fans are pretty common complaints in the corsair forums.

(you might have to register to view that)

I'd try either a similarly sized Seasonic or Super Flower Leadex Gold unit. I've used several Seasonic units over the years with nary a complaint, and the Super Flower Leadex units always get top reviews. (no personal experience with them though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Honorable mention for the ASUS TUF PSUs. The fan wouldn't even turn on until it got to 50% utilization. However, my experience was with a pre-ATX 3.0 550W unit.