Rate all of your Windows laptops?

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
#1 - 2018 Microsoft Surface laptop 2, 13.5" 8250u cpu - Primary Laptop 5 years and counting...
Besides the trackpad, which died about 2 years ago it's fully functional and extremely stable. I simply disabled the trackpad. Screen is amazing, battery life okay, and chassis feel/lack of flex fantastic. Of course I'm over the giant bezels, lack of ports, and Skylake cores but it still gets the job done so I'm having a hard time upgrading.

#2 - 2006 Dell 640m, 14", Core2Duo T7200 - Primary laptop for 9 years
Big, thick, and built like a brick! Still 100% functional 18 years later! It's used in my garage and continues to survive freezing winters and scorching summers.

#3 - 2002 Compaq Evo n600c, PIII 1.2 - Primary laptop for 4 years
Still worked 20 years later after I sold it.

#4 - 2015 Lenovo Thinkpad T450S, Broadwell 5200U - Primary laptop for 3 years
I liked this laptop for the year or so it worked. It developed the notorious black screen issue where you have to disconnect both the removeable and internal battery, press power to drain residual charge, and then restart to get the display working again. I probably worked for two years trying to diagnose and fix the issue to no avail. Great keyboard, good screen, terrible reliable so it's 4th on the list. Never Lenovo again for me.

As you can see my laptop ratings pretty much go by how long each was in service.

How about you? What good and bad Windows laptops have you had?

Dec 10, 2005
It's hard to rate my own, because I rarely used stuff side-by-side, and the hardware advances were so great, but here is my retrospective from personal use:

Lenovo T420i (Sandy Bridge) - purchased in Fall 2011. Build quality was good and saw me through my PhD and my short postdoc stint. It was super cheap - around $700. I got it as my work computer because I had a desktop for games, so a basic system to be able to take to and from the lab was fine. I immediately upgraded the RAM, and later added an mSATA SSD. Was still functional when I junked it after 6+ years of use; though, the battery life at that point was pretty bad. Build quality was great.

Asus W3J - (2006; Dothan era Core Duo, if I recall) used through college. It was nice because it also had an X1600 XT mobile graphics card, which was nice to have - basically a 14" laptop that could play games. The only downside was the Asus-software controlled hotkeys, but that's more of a general complaint about lack of standards. Build quality was also pretty great.

Some other laptops I've used include some generic HP business-grade and Lenovo ones, both through work. Nothing remarkable to write home about. They were functional when I needed them on the go, though I rarely use them as laptops...