Raspberry Pi 3 out now!

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
Updated with official info!

It's the fourth birthday of the start of sales of the first Raspberry Pi model. What better way to celebrate this than to release Raspberry Pi 3?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

The main improvements from the Pi 2 appear to be built in WiFi and Bluetooth, as well as a new SoC. The old one was based around a quadcore A7 cluster running at 900 MHz. The Pi 3 has a quadcore 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 (which is a 64-bit capable CPU). With the increased frequency and the faster CPU core, that should translate into 50-60% increased single thread performance, according to the link above. I would actually have guessed the difference to be even larger, but I guess it depends on the workload.

What are your feelings? Will you get one? I will, but I'm waiting for some more shops to get it so that prices stabilize.

EDIT: Adding a few articles with performance tests:

https://www.element14.com/community...ensive-raspberry-pi-comparison-benchmark-ever
http://blog.pimoroni.com/raspberry-pi-3/

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Now I almost don't want one, because I fear a Pi 4 will come out, before I can get much done with it!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I wonder how these will compare performance wise with the Pine 64 boards that are just coming out. They seem to be pretty competitive in terms of system specs.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I wonder how these will compare performance wise with the Pine 64 boards that are just coming out. They seem to be pretty competitive in terms of system specs.

Just about pulled the trigger until I noticed the wireless was only n150. Makes streaming Blu Ray rips a no go

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
Is there any sense of how Cortex A-53 @ 1.2 GHz compares in CPU performance to, say, Cedarview Atom? The comparison is totally apples and oranges but may help frame expectations. Pine 64 looks interesting.

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
Got my Pi 3 today! Haven't had time to test it yet, but will as soon as possible.

Is there any sense of how Cortex A-53 @ 1.2 GHz compares in CPU performance to, say, Cedarview Atom? The comparison is totally apples and oranges but may help frame expectations. Pine 64 looks interesting.
The Cortex-A53 appears to have similar single threaded performance to a Cortex-A9 at the same clock frequency. Although hard to find conclusive tests, it appears the Cortex-A9 had quite similar single threaded performance compared to the first gen Atom core (to which Cedarview belongs), again at the same clock frequency.

So, my guess would be that the A53 @ 1.2 GHz is roughly comparable to the original Atom @ 1.2 GHz (ignoring the fact that the Atom had HyperThreading to improve throughput).

All things considered, the Raspberry Pi 3 is hardly fast. But it's certainly a decent amount faster than the Pi 2. :)

Last edited: