Of coure, its one thing after another with this house

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Now wife reports one of the 4 years old toilet has problem.

When i looked, it flushes, but there is no water coming out of the rim jets.

I already cleaned the holes and used a wire to poke through each holes, and they don't look like there were build up clogging the holes at all.

I thought about pouring vinegar, maybe diluted bleach, or CTL, down the overflow tube, but how effective would that be?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When you flush, do you only get water from the hole in the bottom/front?
What kind/brand of toilet do you have?

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
It is a glacier bay toilet, which the previosu tenants replaced when they cracked the tank of the old one.

Yes, only the siphon jet at the bottom has water coming out, so it flushes but not as fast. I do noticed a few of the rim jet holes on one side have small amount of water coming out.

Probably the inside rim has mineral build up? (which cannot be seen from outside.)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Hydrochloric acid will devour the mineral deposits.

Phosphoric acid(in the paint section of Home Depot) is if you're chicken regarding the above...and you want to make homemade Coca-Cola. XD.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It is a glacier bay toilet, which the previosu tenants replaced when they cracked the tank of the old one.

Yes, only the siphon jet at the bottom has water coming out, so it flushes but not as fast. I do noticed a few of the rim jet holes on one side have small amount of water coming out.

Probably the inside rim has mineral build up? (which cannot be seen from outside.)
Glacier Bay plumbing fixtures are as low end as you can get. The toilet might be repairable, but it's not worth the effort. Replace it with almost any other brand and you'll be ahead of the game.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Glacier Bay plumbing fixtures are as low end as you can get. The toilet might be repairable, but it's not worth the effort. Replace it with almost any other brand and you'll be ahead of the game.

Agreed Glacier Bay is one of Home Depot's house brands.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Oh man, but i asked wife again, and then she thought for a min and then said "you know what, now that i come ot think about it, it has been like this since it was installed years ago."

I might have gotten a defective toilet. it flushes fine, but just slow. Also it is one of those 1.1 GFS high efficent toilet. Maybe not enough water pressue.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Oh man, but i asked wife again, and then she thought for a min and then said "you know what, now that i come ot think about it, it has been like this since it was installed years ago."

I might have gotten a defective toilet. it flushes fine, but just slow. Also it is one of those 1.1 GFS high efficent toilet. Maybe not enough water pressue.
Could just be some debris stuck inside somewhere, toilets are very simple contraptions. Is it one of those unibody ones with the two buttons on top? If so I bought a few of them a few years back and replaced all the ones in our house with them, they've been great.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Nah, it is one of those that also has a siphon jet. My other toilet only has rim jets to flush.

So i spoke to a plumber and he told me since the toilet mainly flushes with the siphon jet, then even if rim jets are not really getting water out it doesn't affect the toilet's function.

Since he mentioned that, i started paying attention to toilets in neighbors and friend's houses.. almost all of them only use rim jets to flush.

Never again will i buy a Glacier Bay toilet!