NV 12VHPWR issues revisited

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
It's typical for workstation cards. The problem is EPS 8-pin is "only" 300W so they'd still need two of them for the 4090
Oh yeah. The 4090 is like a low profile thin tiny card that they can't find space on it for two connectors, right? /s

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I just upgraded the Intel rig to a RTX 4080 Super. It has the 12VHPWR connector on the card. I opted to use the native connector provided by Corsair on my RM750e PSU (2x PSU-side connectors to 12VHPWR). I'll update if I have any issues. Not very impressed by the design. If my case didn't have a decent-sized gap between the side panel and the GPU it would be impossible to fit it without potentially compromising the connector.

Jul 27, 2020
It's called empathy, and it goes beyond our forum fun.
Oh no! Time for some self reflection. I may have psychopathic tendencies because I can't seem to find any empathy in my existence for people who max out their credit for things they probably don't need and who enable a certain annoying CEO to mock the have-nots with his unreasonably expensive leather jackets.

BUT BUT BUT what about all the millionaires who are helping to make the world a better place thanks to being part of the Nvidia egosystem?

Nahhhhhh. I think I'm fine :)

Jul 27, 2020
How many laptops did you say you own again?
I didn't go into debt to own them :)

The only laptop that I bought really expensive for $1331 was an ASUS 4700HQ one with Geforce 750M 4GB DDR3 (not even GDDR!). That was a good lesson to me as I was just a fool to pay launch price. Bought all my later laptops USED or at heavily discounted prices. I think my 2nd most expensive laptop is an HP Omen with 10750H/3070M that I got in good used condition for $800 or so. That's also probably my most high performance laptop. All the others (8 or 9, lost count. They are in boxes somewhere) are quite underpowered by today's standards, other than a Tiger Lake 1125G4.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
People shouldn't be buying 4090s used or new given NV's callous disregard for buyers. Sadly, if the market did turn on NV, they might just pull back or pull out since so much of their revenue is coming from enterprise/cloud AI.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Sadly, if the market did turn on NV, they might just pull back or pull out since so much of their revenue is coming from enterprise/cloud AI.
Good riddance if that happens. They aren't doing anything for graphics other than creating proprietary technologies and hampering innovation.

Jul 27, 2020
I honestly can't think of anything that I might regret from losing Nvidia cards. Once upon a time, I used to get really excited by Nvidia proprietary tech like Gameworks or PhysX. But the drawback was always that using these was out of the question if you got a great deal on an AMD card. So little by little, I weaned myself away from Nvidia because all Nvidia cares about is exploiting their customers, instead of serving them. Every frickin' generation they have some new proprietary tech that they hype to the moon and that may or may not really raise the bar for gaming in general.

I'm tired of their antics. Their behavior is extremely anti-consumer and monopolistic and I'm surprised that they have gotten away with it for so long. If they want to make their own hardware/software platform, fine. They should do that and see where it leads them. But trying to game the free market economy by using proprietary tech and pretending that their cards adhere to DX12 Ultimate, Vulkan or OpenGL is just plain dishonest and gross misrepresentation of their actual intentions, which are centered around killing competition. 7900 XTX is about as good as a 4080. But they have spun this fantasy through their carefully orchestrated PR machine with a lot of questionable moving parts (possibly bribing reviewers or threatening not to provide them with review samples) that AMD cards are trash.

They are what Intel was to the CPU world and just like Intel fell from grace because of their monopolistic complacency, the same will happen to Nvidia sooner or later. MI300X is proof of that. I don't believe gaming will suffer if they exit the market. I really don't. There are more than enough graphics researchers and enthusiasts in the world to keep the dream going.

Last edited: