need advice for laptop screen size

Coolharmony2

Jul 6, 2012
I need advice on choosing the laptop screen size.

This would mostly be connected to a screen and external hardware.

At the moment, I don't plan to transport it but having an option that can be transported is always an interesting option.

If it is to connect to an external screen there would be no point in choosing more than 16'' in my opinion.

The other option would be to purchase a pre-built desktop computer.

What do you think?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Laptops are ideal if you're looking for something portable. Though some DIY options for desktops can be quite small as well.

16" is the middle ground for size and it's fine. I currently went with a 17.3" based on the info I was seeing for mini-led panels at the time not coming in 15.6" options. I tend to upgrade my panels because the ones that ship with laptops tend to suck for colors / bightness. I put a 4K120 in this current one for about $300 and still paid less than $2K for the complete build w/ a 12700H CPU / RTX3060 GPU.

It just depends on your confidence level with swapping HW. To swap the panel it might have taken me 10 minutes to do on this one and the prior one took a little longer because I had to fish the cable through the hinge because the pinout was different on the new panel.

It's nice to be portable though sometimes. I can take it out to the car and do stuff with the ECU which is something you can't really do with a desktop w/o a cart or bench to put it on.