Looking to upgrade my 2015 build

Badizza

Feb 2, 2024
XFX DD Radeon R9 280X Black 3 GB
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB
AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core
Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+

Those are my current specs. Haven’t gamed on a PC for quite a few years and getting back into it. I don’t play modern AAA titles or need max graphics. Just random games on steam, mod halo campaigns and stuff like that. I plan on getting the FX-8350 cpu and another 8GB of ram.
I’m looking for input on GPU’s. Leaning towards the RX 5700xt for performance at the price point. Is it too much for my system though? I’ll listen to all recommendations and advice.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
5700XT is a decent choice, but would probably be bottle-necked by any AM3 CPU. Since it has been so long, I would lean towards a full rebuild, or at least a platform upgrade to AM4 or AM5.

If you do decide to stick with the Bulldozer architecture on your current motherboard, the upgrade to an 8 core is a decent choice, provided you can find one for cheap. As for RAM, I would try to get another matched kit to run with your current, for a total of 32GB. I assume your current Corsair RAM is 2x8GB?

Badizza

Feb 2, 2024
5700XT is a decent choice, but would probably be bottle-necked by any AM3 CPU. Since it has been so long, I would lean towards a full rebuild, or at least a platform upgrade to AM4 or AM5.

If you do decide to stick with the Bulldozer architecture on your current motherboard, the upgrade to an 8 core is a decent choice, provided you can find one for cheap. As for RAM, I would try to get another matched kit to run with your current, for a total of 32GB. I assume your current Corsair RAM is 2x8GB?
Yes it’s 2x8GB. I was trying to avoid upgrading my MB because that would be closer to a full rebuild. However, I did a quick search for AM4 and found a bundle with a Asus prime 4505M-A2, ryzen 5 4500 and 16gb of ram for $200. For that price and ‘userbenchmark’ results it feels like it would be well worth it.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yes it’s 2x8GB. I was trying to avoid upgrading my MB because that would be closer to a full rebuild. However, I did a quick search for AM4 and found a bundle with a Asus prime 4505M-A2, ryzen 5 4500 and 16gb of ram for $200. For that price and ‘userbenchmark’ results it feels like it would be well worth it.
Where are you located? In the US at least, you should be able to get a cheap AM4 board pretty easily, for around $100 or so, maybe less, but I would try to get a Ryzen 5700X or better, having a good Zen 3 chip makes a big difference. They regularly go on sale new for less than $200, and DDR4 is pretty cheap, though I would try to get a 3200MT/s kit.

Feb 11, 2024
Where are you located? In the US at least, you should be able to get a cheap AM4 board pretty easily, for around $100 or so, maybe less, but I would try to get a Ryzen 5700X or better, having a good Zen 3 chip makes a big difference. They regularly go on sale new for less than $200, and DDR4 is pretty cheap, though I would try to get a 3200MT/s kit.
Well cheap and $100 is not the same. Had to replace a am4 and around $94 for a x570, after the x470 wouldn't post. You want them to get a entire new build but true it's needed it won't be cheap throwing more money into the old setup is also well not even close to as good as a 5600 3600 etc (min cpu needed)