Question Identiying network cables

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I'm in the process of upgrading all my wired connections to at least Cat6 or Cat6e. Unfortunately, not every cable maker felt the need to label them clearly. I know Cat6 cables will be generally thicker than Cat5e but some of the cables don't indicate the what they are. I looked up the marking and I found that tia/eia 568-b.2 is on some of what I'm pretty sure at Cat6e but also on one of my cables labeled Cat5e. Can I identify the cable by the awg? Seems that 23 is bigger than what would be standard for Cat5e.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Generally, Cat 5 and Cat 5E are 24 AWG. Cat 6 and Cat 6A are 23 AWG. These are not hard and fast rules. CAT 5 cables can be 26 AWG, and CAT 6A can be 22 AWG.

There is no actual Cat 6E standard. Cat 6E is slightly better than standard Cat 6, but I'd go with Cat 6A.

Without looking at the markings on the cable jacket itself, it's very difficult to tell what type of cable it is. If there are no markings, I'd have to assume it is Cat 5E.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If the manufacturer do Not bother to ID is product I would buy it (or return it).

:cool:

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
If the manufacturer do Not bother to ID is product I would buy it (or return it).

I weeded out anything below Cat5e a long time ago but most of the cables in question have been in use for 5+ years. I've haven't bought anything but Cat6 in several years. I'm looking for the final few that need to be replaced but I don't remember exactly which ones I've replaced already. Most of the cables are clearly labeled but a few aren't.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
When Internet and Networking start to Proper gate into the consumer’s market almost all of it was a USA work and the agreed upon Standards were well under control.

Since the beginning of this century when it started to be popular all over the world. Many New Players got into the game the Adhering to stick with Standards is slowly dissipated (especially in the consumers market and Wireless/WIFI).

Personally I stopped buying immediately most New Thingies and wait for a while until it possible to get credible feedback,

This page has a Good summery of a current status in the cable market.

Currently I would buy short cables to try the New Stuff but I would buy long cables that go into the walls etc., until it totally clear what is the real level of their capacity.

For Home ans small business I would go with CAT6a

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Pre-terminated fiber pricing is low enough that it's a valid option at this point, depending on where it needs to go and how difficult it is to run the wire. Just got a place, and going from basement to attic above 2nd floor, I'm thinking of running fiber up to the attic.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Up to you. I find that pulling unterminated Catx wire is easier than a pre-terminated anything, as that termination has some corners to cushion with tape. If it snags along the way, it is easy to damage the termination on the pulling end.
Unterminated wire is pretty bulletproof as long as you don't burn something with friction along the way.
Cat 6 does 10GB if terminated correctly and the hardware for it is realatively inexpensive.