Question Heat issues with HTPC in an AV cabinet

PaulfromA

Apr 26, 2021
I have an older AMD A10-5700 HTPC that I built 8 or 9 years ago, but I'm having issues with fan noise because I have it in an AV cabinet. It's staying cool, but the fan noise is too loud. My current build is also a full-sized desktop and I'd really like to trim it down.
My question is whether there is a build that I could reasonably expect to have in a cabinet and it only require very minimal cooling? Right now I have fans in the cabinet and they are on a thermal sensor, but my current build is generating too much heat and they are constantly cycling on and off. Debating either buying a pre-built system, building a new one or just biting the bullet and moving it out of the cabinet. I believe the TDP of my current is 65watts and I know there are much more efficient options now, but wondering if it would make enough of a difference?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have an older AMD A10-5700 HTPC that I built 8 or 9 years ago, but I'm having issues with fan noise because I have it in an AV cabinet. It's staying cool, but the fan noise is too loud. My current build is also a full-sized desktop and I'd really like to trim it down.
My question is whether there is a build that I could reasonably expect to have in a cabinet and it only require very minimal cooling? Right now I have fans in the cabinet and they are on a thermal sensor, but my current build is generating too much heat and they are constantly cycling on and off. Debating either buying a pre-built system, building a new one or just biting the bullet and moving it out of the cabinet. I believe the TDP of my current is 65watts and I know there are much more efficient options now, but wondering if it would make enough of a difference?
I had a ASrock desk mini 300A and using a Athlon 3000g with a Noctua NH-L9a it was very low power and almost dead silent. It is so small it mounts to VESA if you want.

PaulfromA

Apr 26, 2021
I decided to buy a cheap Celeron based mini pc on Amazon. It's made by Awow. I only use it for very occasional streaming on my TV so as long as it holds up, the performance should be fine. It is tiny and so much quieter and I couldn't have built anything for that price ($200). The temp in my cabinet hasn't even triggered the fans to come on. I'm keeping the old HTPC as my file server for Plex and will go with a NAS if and when it dies.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER