BF B&M? Like a Ghost Town!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm curious what part of the country this guy is in. B&M is going to be totally dead / chap 11 by next year.

Appears to be San Fran.?

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
The Ford dealer is in Colma California. I'm curious what the numbers are going to look like this year. I haven't spent money on anything black friday related yet - no good deals on things I need.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
I don’t do Black Friday shopping generally. I actually had to go to walmart tonight for some everyday items and was dreading the idea of it, but it wasn’t too busy. They had way more employees than usual and only slightly more customers than usual. Not sure how it was during the doorbuster sales in the morning. Anyway I’ll be very happy if these artificial sales die off

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I recall many years ago, not so much waiting in line for stores to open but at least getting there right before they did, for items that were loss leaders to get shoppers to go there. I was mostly after the free after rebate (or nearly so) items.

Internet killed it. I don't even know what most of the B&M doorbuster deals were this year, yet I admin a popular deal site. The last few days were crazy busy for me. We used to put up the paper ad scans but no longer. Heh, there's no affiliate profit to be made on people going to a B&M. ;)

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I did all mine online. There weren't any spectacular deals, but most were warm. No hassles, and I don't have to be around plague victims. This is Florida after all.

Here when a biz goes under, it eventually becomes something else. Circuit City is a medical complex now. Winn Dixie is an independently owned grocery store/produce market. The massive newspaper building is an indoor go kart amusement center. The old bank branch is a fitness center. The old Sears plaza that included a food lion is now condos. The old Kmart strip mall is also condos. Some stores are now mini storage. The old Mister Donut is Thai food. The list goes on. Failed biz models die, different biz models take their place. *Zorg* "Thus perpetuating the circle of life."

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Weird. I ordered online, but picked up my new TV on BF at BB. It was very busy. Not can't walk through the isles busy, but pretty good. Steady line at the pickup counter. Great customer service (looks at Amazon and laughs). Their were at least 100 TV in one of the shipping bays alone (waiting for pickup). I buy lots of sundries at Amazon, but I'm making more large purchases locally.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
BF has been a joke, the past 5 years or more. Wow, look! They have things on sale, for the same sale price it's been, at least half a dozen times already this year!! :rolleyes:
That's the odd thing. We decided to wait on buying an espresso machine that was $150 off on Prime day as we were too slow to pull the trigger. Now, when prices are usually the best, no discount. I feel like some computer algorithm is messing with us.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Eh, I feel like the trampled people at Walmart thing was more of a late 90's early 00's phenom.

With the rise of digital everything and direct to door delivery, who wants to really do that crap anymore?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Eh, I feel like the trampled people at Walmart thing was more of a late 90's early 00's phenom.

With the rise of digital everything and direct to door delivery, who wants to really do that crap anymore?
IDK. Even 10 years ago BB was pretty mobbed on BF. I'm starting to trend back to buying B&M if I can. It's nice to see stuff and try stuff in person. It's nice to actually talk to a knowledgeable salesperson. Some online stores have good sales support, many don't. That said, online will still win out in many brackets - cheap prices brought on by huge scale are hard to beat.

Reactions: Saylick

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
I went to the nearest outlet mall and then to the nearby shopping center and both were very very busy. Lines to get into stores at the outlet mall, and tons of shoppers at the shopping mall. Stopped by Target and BB before dinner and they were packed as well. Not sure why those stores in the video were so empty.