Solved! Best Cooler board for z690

vladicorp

Dec 7, 2021
Hello, which motherboard you will recommend between these two main choices:

Msi MEG Z690 ACE
and
ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero

What is my first priority is that the board to run cooler. What I like about the MSI is have aluminum back plate and assuming this will make the board colder.

This will be used with 2 Nvme.

And third place is: gigabyte’s z690 aorus master

Any suggestions ?

Solution
AT the current moment I am not able to get DDR5 but hoping in the next month that will change. Regarding the temperature. I am living in tropical country and have noticed that the system is crashing when playing games. Than I have put external radiator on the Nvme ssd and the crashes almost stopped but happen from time to time. This is why it is important. the cpu cooler is good. Corsair H100i Pro.
I see, so it sounds like temperatures in general can be an issue, due to the tropical heat. That said, the crashes could be many things. You mentioned that cooling the NVMe drive helped, so it is possible that the drive is overheating/having another issue. This still is not related to the motherboard though.

I would recommend either...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hey, I am currently kinda a fan of MSI motherboards, and the MEG ACE model is great, or at least the X570 version I have is. That said, are you able to easily source DDR5? If not, you may want to go with a DDR4 board such as the MSI MPG Edge wifi.

About the board running cooler, is this a problem with Z690 or something? Usually one doesn't need to worry about modern motherboards overheating, just the CPU itself, or sometimes parts of the videocard, if a videocard is used. Just make sure you get a good CPU cooler that is compatible.

vladicorp

Dec 7, 2021
Hey, I am currently kinda a fan of MSI motherboards, and the MEG ACE model is great, or at least the X570 version I have is. That said, are you able to easily source DDR5? If not, you may want to go with a DDR4 board such as the MSI MPG Edge wifi.

About the board running cooler, is this a problem with Z690 or something? Usually one doesn't need to worry about modern motherboards overheating, just the CPU itself, or sometimes parts of the videocard, if a videocard is used. Just make sure you get a good CPU cooler that is compatible.

AT the current moment I am not able to get DDR5 but hoping in the next month that will change. Regarding the temperature. I am living in tropical country and have noticed that the system is crashing when playing games. Than I have put external radiator on the Nvme ssd and the crashes almost stopped but happen from time to time. This is why it is important. the cpu cooler is good. Corsair H100i Pro.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I see, so it sounds like temperatures in general can be an issue, due to the tropical heat. That said, the crashes could be many things. You mentioned that cooling the NVMe drive helped, so it is possible that the drive is overheating/having another issue. This still is not related to the motherboard though.

I would recommend either the MSI MPG Edge wifi, as I suggested, due to lack of DDR5, or, another thing to try would be to get your current system running stably, if it is otherwise fast/recent enough. You might want to make a new thread under the computer troubleshooting forum, for help with troubleshooting the crashing problem. Be sure to inlcude details such as full system specs, games played, and nature of the crash, such as any BSOD text or bug check codes, etc.

Reactions: vladicorp
Solution

vladicorp

Dec 7, 2021

I would recommend either the MSI MPG Edge wifi, as I suggested, due to lack of DDR5, or, another thing to try would be to get your current system running stably, if it is otherwise fast/recent enough. You might want to make a new thread under the computer troubleshooting forum, for help with troubleshooting the crashing problem. Be sure to inlcude details such as full system specs, games played, and nature of the crash, such as any BSOD text or bug check codes, etc.

You know I will go with the EDGE, since the performance between ddr5 and 4 is not that big and I already have the memory. Thank you for the advise!

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Nice, I hope it works out well. From what I see, it is a really well reviewed board. I currently recommend it as the premium option for Intel sans DDR5. Can't go wrong with 6 SATA ports and 4 m.2 slots at gen 4x4, and of course the other features. My only complaint about the DDR4 Z690 boards in general, is that none of them thus far have a 10GbE port. Still, this board does have a nice 2.5GbE Intel port, and a 10Gb NIC can always be added in.

Reactions: vladicorp