Alienware is.....

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
....pretty sad. I called them just now to see about ordering just the &quot;saucer silver&quot; 107 windows keyboard and they refused to sell it to me. The &quot;knowledgeable&quot; sales guy said that Antec makes them exclusively for Alienware and it is &quot;proprietary&quot;.

<yawn>

Oct 19, 2000
That's about stupid. You would assume they would be willing to sell keyboards if it would bring in money. Mabye you should lie to them and tell them you have an Alienware PC....

John

Oct 9, 1999
Well I went to Antec's homepage and noticed buy.com is a vendor they list. I found the Black version of the keyboard which will work out perfect.

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10010527&amp;loc=101

I know he was BS'ing me. If I owned an Alienware PC and needed a replacement keyboard I am sure one would be available. That will be the LAST time I ever call them.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Alienware PC is all about selling systems not parts. I wouldn't think they would sell a &quot;unique to them&quot; item separately. Wouldn't be so unique then.

Dameon

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Dell won't sell you just a motherboard either... or even a system without a video card / RAM much less. It's their decision what to sell and what not to.

John

Oct 9, 1999
Dameon, I beg to differ. I used to work for Dell (MACSD Optiplex Sr. Tech) and you are welcome to buy ANY part from their spare parts division.

I also find that asking to buy a part, and have a system built without a specific piece of hardware to be on a different level.

Rebels7

Mar 5, 2000
John, along the same line, I called Antec to see if I could get an extra side cover for my SX-1030 case, (thinking about putting a window in and wanted one to practice on!!). The rep that answered the phone said that he did not know if they had one in stock!!! His reply was that he would have to &quot;check and see&quot; and he would contact me if they did. To make a long story short, that was about three weeks ago, so I can assume that Antec has no spare parts for their cases!! I really like this case, but I think their service department should be better.

edblor

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2000
Thanx for the info guys!!

I heard good things about alienware through maximumpcmag, but now I know better!

Edblor

gUEv

Oct 11, 2000
alienware must be making a killing off those insane profit margins they have. spend 10 minutes on pricewatch configuring a system with the exact same components as an alienware computer and see how much it costs you, as opposed to the alienware price.

nortexoid

Diamond Member
May 1, 2000
If my company solely sold fully configured systems, i can guarantee that i WOULDN'T sell separate components (i.e. keyboard)...nothign wrong with that...it's probably a pain in the ass for them to ship out/sell/stock separate components - that's not what they do...

nothign wrong w/ alienware except for their disgustingly overpriced systems...i suppose they'll justify that on the principle that they &quot;fully&quot; configure/optimize your system for u - plus throw in a couple games, etc....(which are configured for)...

still a rip off either way..

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Buy.com has great service and actually responds to email (imagine that). BTW, what's so special about that keyboard?

John

Oct 9, 1999
I am trying to color coordinate things. Since I have a Black 21&quot; FD Trinitron, Silver Intellimouse Exploder, Black DTT 2500's, silver Logitech QC pro 3000, etc...you get the idea.

The black version from buy.com will work out just as well.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Anyone know where you can get the Silver Alienware case? I have only seen the black and white ones for sale.

John

Oct 9, 1999
AMD, I have a feeling Alienware paints the stuff.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Yeah that is a good point. Do you think they paint the keyboards to? That would seem kind of hard.

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
No they don't paint the keyboards, the earlier portion of this thread shows you that Antec makes these keyboards for alienware. There was another guy earlier this week looking for a silver keyboard, I provided him with links to 2. The cases they probably either have the manufacturer paint or they do it themselves. I own the black version of this case, very sweet.

divinemartyr

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, Dell will sell you parts. Just go the Dell store and order as many Dell &quot;propietary&quot; keyboards as you want.

Vrangel

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2000
Yeah, Dell sells parts... at astronomical prices.
Like $350 for regular BX motherboard. Give me a break...

John

Oct 9, 1999
Actually the Dell Store is not the same as Dell Spare Parts.

Vrangel

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2000
John , I just found refirbished BX mobo for merely $279 there.
Quite a bargain...

John

Oct 9, 1999
Funny, I had a corporate IT person call one time and I conferenced in with SPARTS. He received a chassis to the best of my knowledge....

Vrangel, LMAO :)