Question 5Gbit/sec fiber ISP nightmare

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I do not think that the Problems that are presented in the above UTube presentation are a Real Technical Issue with Fiber.

It looks like the "Issues" presented there stem from the available Providers and service in his Geographical Area.

I have Fiber comes in from a Provider, and 1GB/10GB inside Ethernet Network CAT6a and numerous active computers all working like a Charm.
If Fiber would be necessary in my own Network I would install what is needed inside.
Drama Kinging on UTube/TicTok/FaceBook/Whatever is Not Technical Solution to anything.

:cool:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
For the record, I did mention ISP in both the title and description . I did not try to connote that there is anything technically wrong with fiber as a technology .

It's a YouTube "war story". Nothing more.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
When an ISP Declare its Speed it means what you feed would get in their center in your geographical location.

There are affecting variables between their source and the specific computer that you use on your Network. (Many users expect a Wireless Laptop that has 450/450 Mbs card to provide them with the GB that they are paying for (LOL).

Num 1

Speed.jpg

Num2

Speed2.jpg

Minute ago I measured the Speed of my connection (same computer same everything).

Reactions: DaaQ

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Yea changing over someone from Telco ISP/Phone to CATV/HSD/Phone was usually a real PITA due to the Alarm systems, where original phone jacks were prewired or installed, and where the best spot for their Gateway would be.
I forget the name of the device that had to be tied in to the existing phone line system, but it had to go from the Gateway's MTA to the alarm systems input tie in. It always really boiled down to where the alarm company tied into the home run lines, and if it was a star or a ring topology.

Alot came down to whether you could drill any holes by homeowner and how/when home was constructed.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
When an ISP Declare its Speed it means what you feed would get in their center in your geographical location.

There are affecting variables between their source and the specific computer that you use on your Network. (Many users expect a Wireless Laptop that has 450/450 Mbs card to provide them with the GB that they are paying for (LOL).

Num 1
View attachment 94447
Num2

View attachment 94449

Minute ago I measured the Speed of my connection (same computer same everything).
Cant see attachments.

But I agree, had this one guy, you know the ones that play speed test all day, had some Walmart off brand type of Firebox. (Apple/Google type streaming box) Side loaded of course with the app to "Get everything free" which would change over time.

Anyway, he'd call "My internet is messed up, I'm only getting 98 MB download speeds. It's hard wired into the modem."

Long story short, he had the box still, so I'm looking it over to confirm my Fast Ethernet NIC suspicion.
I finally found it, through Google-fu, I tell him see this is where they cut costs on this (to me no name streaming box) it got a 10/100 network port in it. It has 5Ghz wireless, hook up to that and then speed test it. ( I think he got close to or hit his provisioning limit) I told him you have to check those things when you're buying them.

Also had to explain, you are watching "GREY AREA" content. It will all depend on the person who encoded and uploaded or seeded whatever you are trying to view.

Which leads me to a question I have always wondered about since I never had a firestick or box. Only Chromecast.

@VirtualLarry @JackMDS should I start a new thread? It is about how these streaming boxes that can be sideloaded with 3rd party apps work under the hood.

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
My apologies for hi-jacking your post Larry, I will delete it

Regards

Ricky.

quietdad2

Nov 3, 2023
Yea changing over someone from Telco ISP/Phone to CATV/HSD/Phone was usually a real PITA due to the Alarm systems, where original phone jacks were prewired or installed, and where the best spot for their Gateway would be.
I forget the name of the device that had to be tied in to the existing phone line system, but it had to go from the Gateway's MTA to the alarm systems input tie in. It always really boiled down to where the alarm company tied into the home run lines, and if it was a star or a ring topology.

Alot came down to whether you could drill any holes by homeowner and how/when home was constructed.
As someone that subcontracted to Comcast and Optimum when this was first becoming a thing, the PITA in the conversion was that the alarm main control box in the house had to be the main connection to the outside phone line. Cable supplied a modem that had the phone jack and internet jack on the back. Homeowners want them modem in the office/bedroom with the computer and not in the basement where most phone systems come in. Ot was a major PITA. If there was no alarm, you could connect the modem to any jack in the house and just disconnect the old phone company.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaQ