· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-17-2003, 07:07 AM   #1
jetelectro

Default Why does my CD-ROM drive keep ejecting?

A few days ago on boot up I got a dialogue indicating unsafe removal of hardware, specifically my Creative 5230E drive. I didn't know what to do except close the dialogue. Now when I insert a CD (audio or CD-ROM) the drive pauses and then ejects it. Cannot read contents from file manager. I tried reinstalling drivers but this doesn't work. I get a message that Windows was not able to install drivers, error code 31. I tried removing the device so that Windows would autodetect on next boot and find drivers but the drive just reappeared (with the problem) without the usual plug 'n play "found new hardware" routine. I am using Windows 2000. I have a P3 and BX board (Soyo 6BA +IV).

I also run Lucent IPSec client firewall/VPN software for an office connection, if that's relevant.

Sisoft Sandra says warning disabled host controllers present, check BIOS but I can't find any BIOS setting amiss.

Is this some IDE controller problem? A friend suggested I change the jumper on the CD-ROM to "cable select". Any other ideas? I really have the feeling that this is software/BIOS setting related and not just a hardware failure.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
jetelectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
QueBert
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: jetelectro
A few days ago on boot up I got a dialogue indicating unsafe removal of hardware, specifically my Creative 5230E drive. I didn't know what to do except close the dialogue. Now when I insert a CD (audio or CD-ROM) the drive pauses and then ejects it. Cannot read contents from file manager. I tried reinstalling drivers but this doesn't work. I get a message that Windows was not able to install drivers, error code 31. I tried removing the device so that Windows would autodetect on next boot and find drivers but the drive just reappeared (with the problem) without the usual plug 'n play "found new hardware" routine. I am using Windows 2000. I have a P3 and BX board (Soyo 6BA +IV).

I also run Lucent IPSec client firewall/VPN software for an office connection, if that's relevant.

Sisoft Sandra says warning disabled host controllers present, check BIOS but I can't find any BIOS setting amiss.

Is this some IDE controller problem? A friend suggested I change the jumper on the CD-ROM to "cable select". Any other ideas? I really have the feeling that this is software/BIOS setting related and not just a hardware failure.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I have had similar problems, but on a VIA chipset MB. I removed the IDE channel from my System setting, and would have them reinstall. But I'm assuming you did that when you said you reinstalled the drivers? I know CD-Roms have no drivers Even if there is a problem with the IDE channels settings in Windows, I've never seen it cause the CD to auto eject. The cable select thing you friend suggested, I don't see any reason to do this, especially if your drive was working previously. And it can't be an IDE channel issue because your HD is working fine. I would say this is a driver or setting issue. Is your CD on a dfferent channel then your HD? Like I said, I've had pretty much this same problem numerous times, and oddly enough even though I always got it working (or it just started working again on it's own( I could never really figure out how or why.

I chalk something like this up to a "random PC being posessed" issue.

good luck, and if you figure this out let me know!

They're not usually like hot-hot, but they're like hit it and quit it able.
QueBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 11:28 AM   #3
jetelectro

Thanks QueBert. I guess I'll reexamine all the drive controller settings I can find. I'll let you know if I fix it or the %$&#! thing just starts working again.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
jetelectro

Well, things have gotten worse. There is clearly some controller problem that I don't know how to address.

I have a dual boot Win98/Win2K using BootMagic. At bootup, I went into the settings for the Highpoint ATA-66 controllers to see whether there was anything obviously wrong. I didn't change anything but when when rebooted I boot I got the message "MBR corrupt, hit any key to boot to active partition" (or words to that effect). I can still get into Win2K but I can't run BootMagic config which is installed on the Win98 partition. Does it look like I will have to have my HD wiped and start over? Can the EIDE controllers by "updated" without reinstalling everything from mobo drivers up?

Any thoughts would be very welcome. Thanks.