· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2002, 11:56 AM   #1
0roo0roo
No Lifer

Default RAin X vs Car wax? :)

figured i'd ask since its raining like crazy now in northern california. i've only tried waxing the windshield with that turtle wax 2000 stuff i never use. i've never used rain x though.

hows the stuff?
Old 11-08-2002, 11:58 AM   #2

This should answer your question.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:58 AM   #3
iamwiz82
Lifer

i've never heard of putting wax on a windshield
iamwiz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 11:59 AM   #4
Mill
Lifer

Rain-X works good if you apply it correctly. I have never read anything as stupid as putting turtlewax on a windshield. What idiot gave you that idea? You should shoot and st@b them.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:01 PM   #5
Mill
Lifer

BTW if you get streaking with rain-x you didn't apply it right or you need to change your blades. I would change my blades before I applied anyway.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #6
StageLeft
No Lifer

I use rainx and that stuff is sweet. No wipers once you're at highway speeds! I look for people without wipers running and I feel I am one of their brethren, for we are the RainXers.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:06 PM   #7
Kevin
Diamond Member

I put in on my car at night because the sun-glare scratches the windows. Everyone thought I was crazy, washing my windows with a flashlight...
Old 11-08-2002, 12:21 PM   #8
etech
Lifer

If you live where you get a lot of frost and ice you might want to try some RainX. I have found that it makes scraping the windshield much easier.
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
KC5AV
Golden Member

Now they have washer fluid with Rain-X already in it. I've used it for a while nowk and it really seems to work well. Unless it is pouring down rain, I don't even have to use my wipers.

KC5AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #10
0roo0roo
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Millenium
Rain-X works good if you apply it correctly. I have never read anything as stupid as putting turtlewax on a windshield. What idiot gave you that idea? You should shoot and st@b them.
being bored i thought slick surface = good?

i'm not bored enough to do a side by side comparison though
Old 11-08-2002, 12:29 PM   #11
LordJezo
Banned

How long does the stuff last between applications?
LordJezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:32 PM   #12
FeathersMcGraw
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: etech
If you live where you get a lot of frost and ice you might want to try some RainX. I have found that it makes scraping the windshield much easier.
Wouldn't using an ice scraper remove the RainX coating, though?

That would be great if it works, though -- it's getting cold enough here overnight that I typically have a thin layer of ice on my windows when I leave in the morning.
FeathersMcGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:12 PM   #13
heartsurgeon
Diamond Member

you need to be careful if you start using rainx

it tends to make you want to speed/drive faster in the rain.
heartsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:35 PM   #14
Ornery
Lifer

That's funny Roger, 0roo0roo had the 6th post in that topic you linked to

RainX works very well, but it's a pain to put on and it doesn't last very long. I've got a bottle of it that's been on the shelf for years, cause it just ain't worth the trouble to me.

Personally, I just wax the windows, YES, WAX THE WINDOWS when I wax the car. Actually, I use a polymer, but same difference where the windows are concerned. I've heard that people with heavy flying bug populations do this to make getting rid of the bug guts easier. I merely do it to clean the windows streak free quickly and easily. The water beads off the windows same as the body. Wipers don't streak or squeak, so I'll be damned if I know what the down side is to "waxing" them. Been doing it for nearly 30 years without a hitch. Matter of fact, my wiper blades last forever, so maybe it even helps! I can wax the entire full size car in 45 minutes including the windows. I use the wipe rag on the inside windows at the end. The dry polymer residue cleans those windows nicely with no streaks and no fuss, VERY quickly. Don't knock it till you've tried it!

As far as the RainX goes, try it. See if it's worth it to you, but I don't have the time to bother with it.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:39 PM   #15
WinkOsmosis
Banned

Back when I asked about RainX on Hardforum, alot of people said they used wax... so that IS a common thing to do. I put RainX on before doing any cruising, but by the time I've gone the 130 miles between Houston and Austin, it's gone, because I have to use the wipers to get rid of fine mist. The thing is I HAVE to use RainX or else my wipers squeek . They are new wipers.
WinkOsmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:47 PM   #16
frizzlefry
Golden Member

rainX will build up on the windshield. it'll cause your wipers to chatter. i use another brand... i can't remember the name off the top of my head but it works so much better than rainx. Lasts a hell of alot longer as well. Last application was back in march and yesterday worked great. I'll be applying it again today.

[edit]
The one i use is called Rain Shield. Picked it up at the LA auto show a couple years ago. Little bottle lasts forever. They were selling that T.F.P. polish for the cars and threw it in for free. Best stuff I've used. Doesn't affect my wipers... no buildup.
frizzlefry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 03:22 PM   #17
zephyrprime
Diamond Member

It's totally possible to wax the glass on your car with a polymer based wax. It works well too. But I prever to use rain-x washer fluid. That way, you don't have to bother applying it and it is refreshed everytime you use washer fluid.
zephyrprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 04:58 PM   #18
Kevin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: frizzlefry
rainX will build up on the windshield. it'll cause your wipers to chatter. i use another brand... i can't remember the name off the top of my head but it works so much better than rainx. Lasts a hell of alot longer as well. Last application was back in march and yesterday worked great. I'll be applying it again today.
Its a little tricky to put on, you have to really rub it in otherwise you'll see the build-up. Its best to put on at dusk so when it does get dark, you can use a flashlight at different angles to see if their is any residue left...

Old 11-09-2002, 05:05 PM   #19
ThisIsMatt
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ornery
That's funny Roger, 0roo0roo had the 6th post in that topic you linked to

RainX works very well, but it's a pain to put on and it doesn't last very long. I've got a bottle of it that's been on the shelf for years, cause it just ain't worth the trouble to me.

Personally, I just wax the windows, YES, WAX THE WINDOWS when I wax the car. Actually, I use a polymer, but same difference where the windows are concerned. I've heard that people with heavy flying bug populations do this to make getting rid of the bug guts easier. I merely do it to clean the windows streak free quickly and easily. The water beads off the windows same as the body. Wipers don't streak or squeak, so I'll be damned if I know what the down side is to "waxing" them. Been doing it for nearly 30 years without a hitch. Matter of fact, my wiper blades last forever, so maybe it even helps! I can wax the entire full size car in 45 minutes including the windows. I use the wipe rag on the inside windows at the end. The dry polymer residue cleans those windows nicely with no streaks and no fuss, VERY quickly. Don't knock it till you've tried it!

As far as the RainX goes, try it. See if it's worth it to you, but I don't have the time to bother with it.
Seriously, waxing your windows is perfectly fine...but, don't take my advice, listen to the all knowing millenium...[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
ThisIsMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:06 PM   #20
SherEPunjab
Diamond Member

a little off topic but i saw it at WalMart 2 days ago for hella cheap. it was gallon size, much cheaper than the little bottle, and next to winshield washer fluid. BTW, you guys know that works just as good as Windex, right?
SherEPunjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:50 PM   #21
Ornery
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
a little off topic but i saw it at WalMart 2 days ago for hella cheap. it was gallon size, much cheaper than the little bottle, and next to winshield washer fluid. BTW, you guys know that works just as good as Windex, right?
You saw a gallon size container of RainX? Cheap?! :Q

Even if it cleaned as well as Windex, it still takes too long to apply and remove. And it ALWAYS leaves something behind. I'll have to try that RainX washer fluid, though. Sounds like a winner!
Old 11-09-2002, 05:52 PM   #22
yobarman
Lifer

nice, i just applied some rain X to my windsheild today, it kicks ass. i also replaced my wipers, so NOW I AM UPSTOPPABLE IN THE RAIN!
yobarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:01 PM   #23
pillage2001
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: yobarman
nice, i just applied some rain X to my windsheild today, it kicks ass. i also replaced my wipers, so NOW I AM UPSTOPPABLE IN THE RAIN!
Try having four flat tires under the rain.

Homer: I'm normally not a praying man but if you're up there, superman please save me!!!!!!!!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
pillage2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:07 PM   #24
0roo0roo
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: yobarman
yea just don't get mesmerized by those dancing droplets and get into an accident ok?
Old 11-09-2002, 07:13 PM   #25
Jzero
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ornery
Quote:
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
You saw a gallon size container of RainX? Cheap?! :Q

Even if it cleaned as well as Windex, it still takes too long to apply and remove. And it ALWAYS leaves something behind. I'll have to try that RainX washer fluid, though. Sounds like a winner!
Well....it's a wax. It's not supposed to clean the glass, and it is SUPPOSED to leave something behind since it's that residue which keeps the rain and fog off.

• \ /
    \/
    :clock:

Flava-Flavicon is dedicated to the memory of my friend, lover, and soulmate Schizoid
---
Stave it off, 1-2-3 and now you can count to 3!
---
Purgamentum Init, Exit Purgamentum
Jzero is offline   Reply With Quote