· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
MixMasterTang
Platinum Member

Default What happens if someone dies and doesn't have a Will?

My wife's father just recently passed away and I am not sure if he had a will or not. My wife and her brother are the only ones left, but my wife had only seen him once in the last 20 years or so. I'm pretty sure he was not in good financial shape and probably has some debt. Is my wife in any way liable for this debt at all?

Please hold back on the "ATOT is not a lawyer" comments, I just was hoping for some comments from people that have been in similar situations.

Thanks
MixMasterTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
KLin
Lifer

His estate would be responsible for the debt. I believe any assets within the estate would need to be sold off to pay the debts, and the heirs would get anything that was left over.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
TheAdvocate
Platinum Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intestacy
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (Corsair H100) | Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z | 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600 | Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | Samsung M830 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB | Samsung SH-222AL DVD-RW | OCZ ModXStream 600w | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2007WFP 20.1" (S-IPS 6ms) | Logitech Z-4 | Logitech G11 | Logitech G5 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Heatware
TheAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
gocubs2k5

the estate is only responsible for paying the debts up to how much money was in the deceased's accounts at the time. My father died in March, and he didn't have a will. He had just paid his bills and he only had like $200 in his checking account when he died. that was all the creditors could take. they got zero of his life insurance, pension, and 401k money.
gocubs2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
MixMasterTang
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: gocubs2k5
the estate is only responsible for paying the debts up to how much money was in the deceased's accounts at the time. My father died in March, and he didn't have a will. He had just paid his bills and he only had like $200 in his checking account when he died. that was all the creditors could take. they got zero of his life insurance, pension, and 401k money.
Okay - thanks for all of the replies from everybody! What happens to someone's pension when they die, does that become part of their estate?
MixMasterTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
dennilfloss
Past Lifer

Never die without a will.

Desktop: Phenom II 955BE, M4A79-T DeLuxe, ASUS PA246Q 1900x1200 24" P-IPS monitor, 2 GB HIS IceQ X Turbo 7850, Corsair TX750M PSU, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 HP 64. Laptop: Dell XPS 17 L702x, i7-2760QM, 8GB RAM, 1080p, GT 555M 3GB
dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
tcsenter
Lifer

1. Nobody is liable for another's financial debts, except current spouses
2. Each state has its own laws regarding wills and estates
3. Pension benefits do not survive the pensioner except where survivor benefits were part of the pension plan. i.e. spouse or minor children may get 50% of pension benefits until the spouse dies or until the minor children become adults, but only if this is part of the pension plan

After my father died, my mother gets 50% of his monthly pension benefit until she dies, but this was not included as standard. They had to pay extra every month for survivor benefit coverage until my father died, like an insurance rider or add-on policy, which they paid for over 20 years.

Some pension plans may already include survivor benefit coverage, others definitely do not.
tcsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
FoBoT
Super Moderator

unsecured debts are not repaid by dead people, hence the term "unsecured"
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
shiner
Banned

I read the title of this thread as:

What happens if someone dies and doesn't have a Wii

shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
FoBoT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by: shinerburke
yeah, that would suck more
Old 09-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
gocubs2k5

Quote:
Originally posted by: tcsenter
1. Nobody is liable for another's financial debts, except current spouses
2. Each state has its own laws regarding wills and estates
3. Pension benefits do not survive the pensioner except where survivor benefits were part of the pension plan. i.e. spouse or minor children may get 50% of pension benefits until the spouse dies or until the minor children become adults, but only if this is part of the pension plan

After my father died, my mother gets 50% of his monthly pension benefit until she dies, but this was not included as standard. They had to pay extra every month for survivor benefit coverage until my father died, like an insurance rider or add-on policy, which they paid for over 20 years.

Some pension plans may already include survivor benefit coverage, others definitely do not.
I guess it all depends on the state. My parents divorced in 1980, and I am an only child. Since the deceased was unmarried I was entitled by law to 5 years of his pension in a 1 time lump sum payment.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
MmmSkyscraper
Diamond Member

Quote:

I did the same thing
MmmSkyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Quote:

I did the same thing
Same here.
dguy6789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
JEDI
Lifer

Quote:
what? life insurance, pension, and 401k are off limits to creditors if you die?

that didnt get repealed/raped by the bankrupcy reform bill (which changed more things besides bankrupcy. aka a bank's wish list.)
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!
JEDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Who is that guy?

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
RichardE
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: dguy6789
Quote:
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Quote:

I did the same thing
Same here.
me too
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #17
tcsenter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: JEDI
what? life insurance, pension, and 401k are off limits to creditors if you die? that didnt get repealed/raped by the bankrupcy reform bill (which changed more things besides bankrupcy. aka a bank's wish list.)
Dear Certified Retard,

The bankruptcy reform act of 2005 actually EXPANDED the protection of retirement accounts and pension plans that are exempt from the estate of a debtor declaring federal bankruptcy.

Previously, only qualified ERISA retirement and pension plans were exempt from bankruptcy estate via the anti-alienation protections imposed by ERISA. Now, virtually all tax-deferred or tax-exempt retirement accounts and pension plans are afforded the same anti-alienation protections as a spendthrift trust, whether or not they are qualified ERISA plans, with some limited exceptions. e.g. Traditional and Roth IRAs are subject to an aggregate bankruptcy exclusion of $1 million.

By all [informed] accounts, the bankruptcy reform law expanded retirement and pension protections significantly. What the new law did was truly radical and extreme; requires debtors to pay their debts if they have substantial assets and/or income. Can you believe such a crazy thing as actually expecting people to pay their debts when they have substantial means to do so? Outrageous!

What next, making deadbeat parents support their children? The death of freedom and imposition of slavery by corporate interests is near complete! :roll:

BTW, the gubmint can obtain a tax-lien on retirement accounts, pension benefits, Social Security benefits - whatever it can get its grubby dibs on - in or outside of bankruptcy, which the bankruptcy reform law did not change.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #18
gocubs2k5

Quote:
Originally posted by: JEDI
Quote:
what? life insurance, pension, and 401k are off limits to creditors if you die?

that didnt get repealed/raped by the bankrupcy reform bill (which changed more things besides bankrupcy. aka a bank's wish list.)
no it didn't get repealed. life insurance can't be touched in the least for creditors. I've never met anyone who had insurance money taken from them for debts of the deceased. and you are right, the 401k and pension are off limits too. it all goes by whatever you had in your bank account when you die. as a matter of fact, my father died on a tuesday, and his final paycheck was direct-deposited to his account on thursday. since it wasn't in his account when he died, the creditors couldn't touch the last paycheck either.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #19
tcsenter
Lifer

Quote:
I guess it all depends on the state. My parents divorced in 1980, and I am an only child. Since the deceased was unmarried I was entitled by law to 5 years of his pension in a 1 time lump sum payment.
Were you a dependent minor or disabled adult supported by your father? If not, then he may have purchased a survivor's benefit policy in the event of his death, or it was included in his pension plan. Some survivor benefit policies can be cashed out in a lump sum representing some prorated # of years, rather than receiving payments monthly.

Additionally, not all "pensions" are equal. Defined benefit plans are different from defined contribution plans, for estate purposes.

A defined contribution plan or investment account such as IRA or 401(k) would survive the pensioner if there was still money in it. A defined contribution plan isn't paid-out as long as the pensioner lives, as in a defined benefit plan. It is paid-out until the money in the plan/account is gone. If your father's pension was a defined contribution type, then you merely got the remaining distribution.

My father's pension was a defined benefit plan which normally would have not survived him, but for the survivor's benefit coverage my parents paid for.

Quote:
life insurance can't be touched in the least for creditors. I've never met anyone who had insurance money taken from them for debts of the deceased.
That's because its impossible. The proceeds paid from a life insurance policy do not exist until death (the insured event), at which point they become the property of the named beneficiary, not the deceased or his estate. The proceeds were never the property of the insured.

I suppose its possible for someone to name himself as the beneficiary of his own life insurance policy. Why they would want to do so, I don't know.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #20
jagec
Lifer

Quote:

I suppose its possible for someone to name himself as the beneficiary of his own life insurance policy. Why they would want to do so, I don't know.
So that when the invasion comes, they'll be the richest zombie on the block.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #21
gocubs2k5

Quote:
Quote:
Were you a dependent minor or disabled adult supported by your father? If not, then he may have purchased a survivor's benefit policy in the event of his death, or it was included in his pension plan. Some survivor benefit policies can be cashed out in a lump sum representing some prorated # of years, rather than receiving payments monthly.

Additionally, not all "pensions" are equal. Defined benefit plans are different from defined contribution plans, for estate purposes.

A defined contribution plan or investment account such as IRA or 401(k) would survive the pensioner if there was still money in it. A defined contribution plan isn't paid-out as long as the pensioner lives, as in a defined benefit plan. It is paid-out until the money in the plan/account is gone. If your father's pension was a defined contribution type, then you merely got the remaining distribution.

My father's pension was a defined benefit plan which normally would have not survived him, but for the survivor's benefit coverage my parents paid for.

Quote:
life insurance can't be touched in the least for creditors. I've never met anyone who had insurance money taken from them for debts of the deceased.
That's because its impossible. The proceeds paid from a life insurance policy do not exist until death (the insured event), at which point they become the property of the named beneficiary, not the deceased or his estate. The proceeds were never the property of the insured.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 AM   #22
gocubs2k5

the payments for my dad's pension didnt start, since was still working full time. his pension and 401k were 2 separate companies, both independent from eachother. the life insurance was purchased through his work. yes his 401 k money did survive him..once i proved he was dead that that nobody else could be a beneficiary the 401k account became mine. i cashed it out right away.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #23
Whoozyerdaddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: mugs
Quote:
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Who is that guy?
For a minute there I was thiking I was the only one who didn't get that reference. Dennil... CONTEXT PLEASE!
Whoozyerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
kami333
Diamond Member

Everyone has a will by default, your state's inheritance laws becomes your will if you don't have one written up.
kami333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #25
tcsenter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
For a minute there I was thiking I was the only one who didn't get that reference. Dennil... CONTEXT PLEASE!
Danger, ---- Robinson.